Configuring the "Internet" interface - please help, I am about to give up.

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your Synology model.
HappyToon
Trainee
Trainee

Configuring the "Internet" interface - please help, I am about to give up.

Postby HappyToon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi All,

Please help me with a basic networking configuration question.
I keep having the WAN/LAN subnetting error and disconnection. My config is as follows:

I have an Huawei 4G/LTE modem/router (as my only broadband connection) connected to the RT2600 (LTE LAN to RT WAN).
WAN:
The (internal) LTE IP is 192.168.8.1
the RT get an IP assigned on 192.168.8.2.
subnet 255.255.255.0

LAN:
RT:192.168.1.1 is my DHCP and all network devices get a 192.168.1.xxx IP addresses managed by the RT.
Subnet 255.255.255.0

The RT keep complaining that the WAN and LAN subnet overlaps (despite being on 192.168.8.x and 192.168.1.xxx subnet 255.255.255.0).
As a result, I get disconnected on the RT whereas the LTE modem is online.
The RT status will give me a "limited connection" on Ipv4 and "connected" on Ipv6 for the LTE modem. LAN won't have internet.
If I connect my laptop directly to the LTE modem, I get full internet, no problems, but nothing on the LAN via RT.

Which "gateway" IP do I put where in SRM?

Please help on this, this has been annoying me for months now and I am about to give up!!!

Thanks in advance.

Tony
philip67
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Configuring the "Internet" interface - please help, I am about to give up.

Postby philip67 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Try to change the RT LAN Address to 10.1.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0. Also change the DHCP configuration accordingly.
DS214Play
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:10 pm

philip67 wrote:Try to change the RT LAN Address to 10.1.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0. Also change the DHCP configuration accordingly.

Try? Really? We don't "try" things in the realm of networking. It's either correct and it works, or not and it don't.

The OP has a simple problem - incorrect addressing. There is only one (1) internal network, and it is 192.168.something.something.
philip67
Beginner
Beginner

Postby philip67 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

PaulS wrote:
philip67 wrote:Try to change the RT LAN Address to 10.1.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0. Also change the DHCP configuration accordingly.

Try? Really? We don't "try" things in the realm of networking. It's either correct and it works, or not and it don't.

The OP has a simple problem - incorrect addressing. There is only one (1) internal network, and it is 192.168.something.something.

And what is your advice for resolving this problem?
Also what is your point that there is only one (1) internal network, and it is 192.168.something.something?
DS214Play
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:55 am

philip67 wrote:Also what is your point that there is only one (1) internal network, and it is 192.168.something.something?

Sorry, my bad. It's 192.168.something.0 It's actually quite arbitrary. But the router's LAN interface has to be on the same network.
philip67
Beginner
Beginner

Postby philip67 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 am

PaulS wrote:
philip67 wrote:Also what is your point that there is only one (1) internal network, and it is 192.168.something.something?

Sorry, my bad. It's 192.168.something.0 It's actually quite arbitrary. But the router's LAN interface has to be on the same network.

I can not get your point saying that the router's LAN interface has to be on the same network. According to my experience the WAN and the LAN interface must be on diferent networks in most of the scenarios. Also the LAN interface should use a private address space usualy. In this particular scenaio the WAN interface is also using a private address space (this is depending from the provider) from the same classfull network - 192.168.0.0/16. So in my opinion the OP should do the folloing:
1. check the network configuration once again (just to be shure)
2. Also the network address translation should be enabled - to be checked

If this steps do not help the next logical step for me is to change the LAN address of the router. The new address that I sugested for the LAN interface is also a private address (NAT should be enabled) but from a different classfull network - 10.0.0.0/8.

I hope this will help.
DS214Play
Amorak
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Amorak » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:15 pm

I spent a lot of time figuring this issue out just yesterday.
It looks like you are using the "Wireless Router" configuration where you have a modem connected to the router.

ISP<--->Modem<---->WAN Router LAN(Internal)<------>LAN Ports1-4

In my situation I had a Linksys router running DD-WRT that died after several years of normal operation. I was replacing that router with the Synology.

For the initial setup I did not have the WAN connected. I went through the Synology setup and accessed SRM with no problem. I then began to setup "Local Network" by assigning 192.168.1x addresses instead of the preconfigured 10.10.1.x addresses. Then I unplugged the router and moved it to a new location and connect the WAN. Upon powering it back up I had no access to SRM. I did a hard reset and with the WAN connected I went back through the configuration. When saving I received the overlapping address warning. And, ended up again with no access. I went through several cycles of reset/configure before finding the info to log into my ATT uVerse modem.

As soon as I did that, the problem was obvious. The modem had been setup for a 192.168.1.x address on its LAN side. I changed it to a 172.16.x.y address, reset the router and went back to configuring the "Local Network" for 192.168.1.x addresses. All was well after that.

So, it looks like this:
ISP<----------------------------->Modem<---------------------------------->WAN Router LAN(interanl)<---------------------------------------->Router LAN Ports1-4
66.x.y.z 66.x.y.z 172.16.x.y 172.16.x.y 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.x

This was not a particularly difficult problem once I got over the "it worked with the other modem" mentality.

Seems like Synolgy could provide a better more detailed message and hint how to fix the issue.

Hope this helps someone.
ukwildat4life
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ukwildat4life » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Amorak wrote:I spent a lot of time figuring this issue out just yesterday.
It looks like you are using the "Wireless Router" configuration where you have a modem connected to the router.

ISP<--->Modem<---->WAN Router LAN(Internal)<------>LAN Ports1-4

In my situation I had a Linksys router running DD-WRT that died after several years of normal operation. I was replacing that router with the Synology.

For the initial setup I did not have the WAN connected. I went through the Synology setup and accessed SRM with no problem. I then began to setup "Local Network" by assigning 192.168.1x addresses instead of the preconfigured 10.10.1.x addresses. Then I unplugged the router and moved it to a new location and connect the WAN. Upon powering it back up I had no access to SRM. I did a hard reset and with the WAN connected I went back through the configuration. When saving I received the overlapping address warning. And, ended up again with no access. I went through several cycles of reset/configure before finding the info to log into my ATT uVerse modem.

As soon as I did that, the problem was obvious. The modem had been setup for a 192.168.1.x address on its LAN side. I changed it to a 172.16.x.y address, reset the router and went back to configuring the "Local Network" for 192.168.1.x addresses. All was well after that.

So, it looks like this:
ISP<----------------------------->Modem<---------------------------------->WAN Router LAN(interanl)<---------------------------------------->Router LAN Ports1-4
66.x.y.z 66.x.y.z 172.16.x.y 172.16.x.y 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.x

This was not a particularly difficult problem once I got over the "it worked with the other modem" mentality.

Seems like Synolgy could provide a better more detailed message and hint how to fix the issue.

Hope this helps someone.

You mind if I ask if you were using the Pace 5268ac gateway from AT&T? and is your synology router still stable and running good after you made that one change? if I understand you correctly did you just log into the Uverse gateway's interface and go under the LAN tab and then to the DHCP tab then select 172.16.x.y? I've had sorts of connectivity problems and about to give up....any input would great be appreciated...thank you, James

Return to “Installation and Configuration”