Redirect LAN IP to another IP / LAN

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Tornix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Redirect LAN IP to another IP / LAN

Postby Tornix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Hello there,

I own a Synology NAS (DS416play) and a Synology router (RT2600AC).
I'm setting up a new LAN at home with this router and my ISP router is in bridge mode. Everything's fine and works perfectly.

But now, I want to roll back my ISP router to its previous router mode. The goal? I use a back-up electric inverter and to keep my network 100% online if the juice is running out, I would need to protect multiple switches, router, NAS and ISP router. Too complicated in my appartement and cost-inefficient. It is also not reasonable due to my inverter's output that will definitely not like it.

So, I'm wanting to use the ISP router's LAN with the NAS (these two items backed-up by the inverter) AND all my other devices connected to the RT2600AC's LAN. Seems easy. Thanks to the automated functions of the Synology router, after port forwarding fixes, everything works great. I can reach the NAS and that's cool.

Here is the $1M question: I have multiple settings on my devices that will look for the NAS at 192.168.1.39. But he's now reachable at 192.168.0.39.
==> How can I make the Syno Router forwarding everything asking 192.168.1.39 to 192.168.0.39?
Of course I strongly hope I will not have to rewire dozens of settings in my LAN. :wink:

I've been looking to DNS functions, but that doesn't seem a good idea.
I also looked at NAT and Table Routing stuff, but even if I think the solution's close, I have to admit that did not find anything great.
I looked to plug one of the NAS ethernet ports to each LAN, it did not worked great due to the "service order" of the NAS that seems to disable the second port.
Ethernet aggregating functions did not worked well either and f***ed up my Mail Station Server when I disabled it, but that's another story.

So...do you have any idea? :)

Thanks a lot in advance, have a great day!
Tornix
Babylonia
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Redirect LAN IP to another IP / LAN

Postby Babylonia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

From what I understand you are using a UPS system for power failures.

What is the problem using the situation that the ISP modem/router is bridged, using the UPS system as a fail-back power system
including the ISP modem/router by that same UPS system?

If it is not cost efficiently to set-up in that matter, or to difficult in your appartement,
IMO there is no reason to switch to another network setup, as by a power fail, you shall not have a working system anyway.
Tornix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tornix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, this is a UPS system.

The ISP modem/router is currently bridged and on the same UPS device than the NAS. I have only one UPS system.

For my wished usage, the ISP modem/router will be likely in router mode: if the NAS is always connected to the ISP router and if both are powered by the UPS inverter, there should be no downtime.
To do so, the ISP modem can not be in bridge mode and the Syno router will be and sub-LAN of the ISP router managed LAN.

The only difficult point is to be able to re-route Syno sub-LAN traffic heading to old NAS IP to ISP-LAN in order to avoid to re-set up everything.
Babylonia
Navigator
Navigator

Postby Babylonia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Maybe there could be a way to login into the root of the Synology router and copy pieces of OS rules, and by search and replacement to change settings.
But I think it has high risks to do it like that way. Errors are made easily.
Just changing the IP's manually is a better more secure way.

Other option, change the ISP router IP sub-net into that what the Synology is using now, use the Synology as Access Point.
If it is still your intention for using NAT behind NAT, change the ISP router IP sub-net into that what the Synology is using now,
and change Synology in another sub-net range.

Also in this last method you still have to change settings manually for the Synology. So see for yourself what is the most handy option.
How many devices are connected?
Tornix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tornix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 pm

I currently have a little more than a dozen devices, you can add two switches, two routers and an ISP TV player that is a little strange, it uses a VLAN setting making it stealthy and its IP isnt always reachable depending on settings.

The Access Point option seems pretty clever, but could disable many fancy functions that made me buy the Synology Routeur, isn't it? If so, I would have to deal with the ISP router.

As you said, I could indeed exchange the 192.168.0.0 and the 192.168.1.0 sub-nets, that's crazy simple and should works perfectly. I assume I will just have to refresh port forwarding rules accordingly, wich is pretty easy.

Do I miss something?

Thanks a lot!!
Babylonia
Navigator
Navigator

Postby Babylonia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Tornix wrote:Do I miss something?

Answering the question in my previous message I thought the same thing. But I think all practical options have past ;)
Tornix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tornix » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 am

Well I switched sub-LANs 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 and everything's working perfectly!

Except mounted drivers on Windows, that seem a little confused about the new pathway to the NAS. Fortunately, I had only my PC using this feature, so the update is easy :D

Thanks a lot for your support, Babylonia!
Babylonia
Navigator
Navigator

Postby Babylonia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am

Nice you have solved the issue.
At your service. :wink:

Return to “Installation and Configuration”