WLAN Connect Problems and Internet not available

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
voltshock
Rookie
Rookie

Re: WLAN Connect Problems and Internet not available

Unread post by voltshock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:38 pm

roppp wrote:
Anyone knows what exactly the workaround script does? Which service/demon/script is restarted in order to restart wifi?
They added the command "synowireless --switch-wifi-on-off" to the cronjob list. It did not help in my case. And if I execute it as admin user, it complains that dbus server is not ready. I do not know as which user this command is effective, maybe root?
Works with root, correct. PAssword is the same as for the admin account.

voltshock
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by voltshock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:34 pm

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to restart Wifi on Synology in case the Demon dropped due to the Chromecast bug.
#
# 1. Place the script: /root/wifi-restart.sh
#
# 2. Change it to be executable: chmod a+x /root/wifi-restart.sh
#
# 3. Add the following line to /etc/crontab
# * * * * * root sh /root/wifi-restart.sh
#
# 4. Restart the cron service: "restart crond"
#
# Version: 201801111522

name1="Client 1"
client1=192.168.0.1

name2="Client 2"
client2=192.168.0.2

name3="Client 3"
client3=192.168.0.3

pingresult1=`ping -c 2 $client1`
pingresult2=`ping -c 2 $client2`
pingresult3=`ping -c 2 $client3`

packetloss1=`echo $pingresult1 | grep 'packet loss' | awk -F',' '{ print $3}' | awk '{ print $1}' | sed 's/\+//g' | sed 's/\%//g'`
packetloss2=`echo $pingresult2 | grep 'packet loss' | awk -F',' '{ print $3}' | awk '{ print $1}' | sed 's/\+//g' | sed 's/\%//g'`
packetloss3=`echo $pingresult3 | grep 'packet loss' | awk -F',' '{ print $3}' | awk '{ print $1}' | sed 's/\+//g' | sed 's/\%//g'`

if [ $packetloss1 -eq 100 -a $packetloss2 -eq 100 -a $packetloss3 -eq 100 ]
then
# echo "Monitored hosts $name1, $name2, $name3 are offline. Restarting WIFI"
echo "`date` Monitored hosts $name1, $name2, $name3 are offline. Restarting WIFI" >> /var/log/wifi-restart.log
synowireless --switch-wifi-on-off >> /var/log/wifi-restart.log
# /usr/bin/curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"value1":"WIFI restarted","value2":"[router name]","value3":"`date`"}' https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/[webhooks channel]/with/key/[channel key]
else
# echo "Wifi seems still working having a packet loss of [$name1: $packetloss1%] [$name2: $packetloss2%] [$name3: $packetloss3%]"
# echo "`date` Wifi seems still working having a packet loss of [$name1: $packetloss1%] [$name2: $packetloss2%] [$name3: $packetloss3%]" >> /var/log/wifi-restart.log
fi

exit 0
So, my try to solve the issue... I don't want to restart at a certain time praying it will work the following time. But I just want to restart the wifi if it is really required.

The script checks 3 wireless devices' availability every minute. If all of them cannot be reached after 4 ping packets, the wifi will be restarted. So make sure you take devices which potentially are never off at the same time on purpose.

The script also logs to "/var/log/wifi-restart.log" in case it was triggered.

If you have an IFTTT account already, you can use the Maker Webhooks channel to even get a notification fired in case there was a wifi restart.

As there is changes on the router's configuration (crontab) required, please make sure you know what you're doing to not break the system.

The steps to set up the script are on the header of it.

No warranty from my side in case you break something. So again: please be careful!

And please: don't complain in case it's not very beautiful in terms of coding. I' not a professional coder 8)
Last edited by voltshock on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davelivo
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by davelivo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 am

So, latest from support after I sent them the info about Google cast causing the problem:

'Our developer confirmed it is less chance to caused by multicast packets,
because we already enable the IGMP snooping function in SRM.

Just now, one of our user report the issue is gone after downgrade to SRM1.1.5 without critical update,

I'm wondering if you can help us to downgrade to previous SRM version to narrow down the possible reasons,

we are very appreciate if you can help us to test the one more times again. 

Let me know your idea, 

and if you agree, please help to enable the remote again, I will let your router become available for install SRM1.1.5'

nonameleft1
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by nonameleft1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 am

After I turned off all my Chromecast my network has been very stable. Maybe there could be more than one cause.

Bazinga
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Bazinga » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 am

As if I'd asked them personally, here's a basic review of alternatives published just today from one of the sites I read regularly:
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/01/f ... i-routers/
Might help people decide on replacements.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them...

nonameleft1
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by nonameleft1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 am

I don't know if everyone has the same root cause as mine. At least I think my wifi problem was caused by Google cause I have no network issue after I turned off my Google devices. Both Linksys and TP-link identified their wifi issues were caused by Google Cast devices and they already posted their "fix" firmwares on their forum. However, Synology doesn't care about us so I have posted on Google forum and hope Google can come up a solution that works well with all routers.

Here is the link to Google forum:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... googlehome

mreg376
Versed
Versed

Unread post by mreg376 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Bazinga wrote:As if I'd asked them personally, here's a basic review of alternatives published just today from one of the sites I read regularly:
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/01/f ... i-routers/
Might help people decide on replacements.
The one router there in the RT2600's class is the Asus RT-AC88U, which is significantly more expensive, and if you read user reviews it will make you hesitate. Asus has probably the best interface after Synology, but the devices seem like they can have stability and radio failure problems. I would look more at the Netgear X4s R7800, although the Netgear routers I've had run hot, which despite being told it was "normal" I don't think is good for long-term durability. I'm convinced the Synology problems are firmware/software related, and it may be worth waiting it out.
----
RT2600ac
Knowledge is Good.

bluecupra
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bluecupra » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm

After reading the several topics on possible relation with Google Chromecast I have disabled WiFI access for mine (removed the mac address from the allowed mac address list).

Normally I would have 2 / 3 drops a day where even an powercycle would be needed to use WiFi again. After disabling the Cromecast WiFi access I haven't had any drops or outages yet. All looks good. Hope this stays this way or Synology will provide an fix (if this is truly the issue)

cswroe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cswroe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 pm

I have been keeping an eye on this topic and disconnected my Google Chromecast and Home devices yesterday. No issues since I have done that.

Radikcz
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Radikcz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 am

I did a factory reset on both my Chromecasts and set them from the scratch. I haven't had any 5GHz wifi issues since then (for 4 days). I am using the latest firmware SRM 1.1.6-6931 Update 1

erschoor
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by erschoor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am

erschoor wrote:I rolled back to the september version 1.1.5/6542 yesterday. So far the Wifi of my RT1900 is still working ok on both bands.
If it stops working again I will post it here.
Unfotunately 15 minutes ago my wifi clients (two Android tablets and a Win10 laptop) dropped connection. Had to reboot the router to make it work again. So even with the September firmware that worked solid for me before it now doesn't. I put back my old Cisco E4200 router and sit this one out till there are proven fixes from Synology or other brands who are experiencing the same problem.

Radikcz
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Radikcz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 am

Unfortunately a few minutes ago my wifi clients dropped the connection as well :( I had to restart 5GHz wifi...

bluecupra
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bluecupra » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am

Here also an drop a few minutes ago, this time only on the 5Ghz band. All the clients automatically switched to the 2.4 Ghz band. 5 Ghz not working until disable / enable through management interface. Looks like the problem continues... :(

mreg376
Versed
Versed

Unread post by mreg376 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Radikcz wrote:Unfortunately a few minutes ago my wifi clients dropped the connection as well :( I had to restart 5GHz wifi...
It is certainly beginning to look like this is a Google-inspired problem, as this is happening across multiple brands of routers. It would be interesting if in fact the Synology firmware update had NOTHING to do with the wifi dropping issue, that the timing was a coincidence, and that it was a Google software update, maybe one designed to deal with the Meltdown/Spectre threat, that has caused all of this.

Edit: I do NOT have ANY Google/Android devices. I have Apple computers, phones and tablets, Amazon Echos, TP-Link smart plugs, Brother, HP and Canon printers, Samsung and Philips TV's, and haven't had a single connection drop since I set up this router, which is running 6931-1.
----
RT2600ac
Knowledge is Good.

jamadza
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by jamadza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 pm

I have 2 android phones, iPad and 1 Android 5.0 TV but this has wifi disabled an connected via LAN cable. I do not use chromecast.

One phone is Huawei, another is Samsung. I do not think this has anyting to do with Android.

What exactly, technicaly, can disrupt a wifi router from outside in a way that it does not let other devices to connect?

Return to “Installation and Configuration”