Will SRM ever converge with DSM?

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your Synology model.
SpivR
Trainee
Trainee

Will SRM ever converge with DSM?

Postby SpivR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am

Will we see a converge of software features between SRM and DSM?

DSM has a lot of non-NAS specific features that I would think the Synology Router (especially the 2600 version with faster cpu and more ram) should be able to handle.

For example, DSM supports Docker and there are many docker vm modules available, but there is no official Docker support for SRM.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Will SRM ever converge with DSM?

Postby Rusty1281 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 am

There is already a nice number of 3rd party apps for SRM, but running Docker on a router is maybe not something that we will see in the near future. For example there is a Plex server installation that you can run on 2600 model (almost out of the box).
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
prdlik
Trainee
Trainee

Postby prdlik » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am

I would be happy, if the router does router´s functions on 100%. This is its job. If I want NAS, I will by NAS.
Last edited by prdlik on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babylonia
Ace
Ace

Postby Babylonia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

@prdlik
Yes, I can fully understand.

There is an economic reason for Synology itself to NOT implement the same packages and usability as for DSM.
For best profit as for a companies point of view and to NOT concurrence with its own products. Don't give the same possibilities.
prdlik
Trainee
Trainee

Postby prdlik » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm

For me it is issue of stability. Every another non core function brings risk of nonstability. Look at DSM - very nice OS, but many different functions, many updates to fix something what was working fine before. So I hope that Synology will focus on router´s functions like better reporting, intrusion prevention etc. and don´t waste time with things that NAS with DSM can do for me better.
NigelL
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NigelL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

prdlik wrote:For me it is issue of stability. Every another non core function brings risk of nonstability. Look at DSM - very nice OS, but many different functions, many updates to fix something what was working fine before. So I hope that Synology will focus on router´s functions like better reporting, intrusion prevention etc. and don´t waste time with things that NAS with DSM can do for me better.

I completely agree. If they have to add more features then these should be Router-type features. E.g. A "mesh" network function for two (or more) connected Routers, such as the Ubiquiti AmpliFi system, would be very useful :D
SpivR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby SpivR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 pm

If DSM and SRM were converged (unified codebase), and hardware-specific functions were just loadable modules (NAS support, Wi-Fi support, VPN support, router features) the end result COULD (with proper software development methodology) be more supportable, more stable, and more flexible.

Again, if SRM and DSM were the same, then the user could choose to load additional modules or not, depending upon performance, memory, and needs.

I don't own a NAS, there are some module for DSM that are lightweight (low memory, low CPU usage) and I would like the option to be able to load some of them on the Router, If I choose.

For intrusion prevention, I think Synology will need to do much better than porting a Unix utility and adding a limited GUI front-end. It almost does more harm than good (at least in the current implementation on Synology it is pretty worthless and probably simpler if it didn't exist at all.)

Remember, at it's core, DSM and SRM are just hacked limited builds of BusyBox Linux. The value of Synology is the added modules and custom features layered on top with a decent GUI alternative to pure command line.
nelek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby nelek » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:37 pm

I think this opinion is the same as - will iOS and OS X ever converge?

Like iOS and OS X, SRM and DSM share common underpinnings. The difference is these two firmwares serve a different purpose for different devices, so they start to differentiate in the upper layers (functionality, UI) because of the different use cases. There is no doubt that some pre-existing DSM functionality started the router project. Moving forward, I would prefer to see SRM "grow up" in its own way, with its own direction and , but using the same basic idea and logic that in the set DSM apart from other NAS Firmware when DSM 3 came out.

Hopefully Synology will grow in this segment, will add more specific router features, so they can outgrow the home use segment for its router products and start building more powerful devices for business use. Having used a wide range of commercial router firmwares myself, I would certainly welcome this evolution in the market. The SRM effort has the potential of being Synology's iPhone. It would be a breath of fresh air to have a user-friendly router OS in a world thats been dominated by outdated, arcane and convoluted user experiences.
DS1512+
SpivR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby SpivR » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:18 pm

The iOS and OSX comparison is false and doesn't apply. iOS devices are ARM RISC hardware architecture and OSX devices are Intel CISC processors. That, plus additional hardware, makes a HUGE difference in the two platforms both at the low-level firmware and kernel/OS levels.

SRM and DSM are based on the same exact processor and limited Linux/Unix core. The only difference is that SRM has Wi-Fi hardware module and DSM has RAID/disk controller module.

SRM and DSM are flavors of a single platform, not two very different platforms.
AVonGauss
Novice
Novice

Postby AVonGauss » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:21 am

SRM is a branch of DSM, I believe the 5.2 version but I would have to go back and look again to be sure. Not sure why they branched it verses creating a "spin" of DSM for SRM as it does have a few inconveniences as a branch (ex. lack of Lets Encrypt support in SRM).

Return to “Installation and Configuration”