General satisfaction with the Synology Router

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your Synology model.
imcon
Experienced
Experienced

General satisfaction with the Synology Router

Postby imcon » Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 pm

I have a bit strange question to the SRM users here:
How you are satisfied with the Synology Router / SRM system in general?
I'd like to learn experience of others because I'm dissapointed, unfortunately.
For more then 10 years I was using the Asus WL500g router. Great piece of hardware, reliable, many special features due to the Open Firrmware. But after 15 years it start to be to old and it needed to be restarted cca 1x week, probably internal power supply issue due to the old capacitors. Tosolve the problem I have replaced it with Mikrotik (..do not know the type now) with Wifi. Mikrotik is one of the best routers with excellent highy configurable OS. We use another types on different places, years without need of any restart, it just work. Unfortunately the one I have purchased as a replacement of Asus wasn good one - as I learned later this type had a reall issue with badly designed Wifi.
Therefore after a short time I have decided to replace it with SYNOLOGY, a new product of my favorite company. I have purchased the RT2600ac. I do not need so many fine settings as with Mikrotik,so thouht this should be OK.

Now, after a few weeks of ussage I have to say that I'm dissapointed, maybe even highly dissapointed. Why? Well It cost cca 10x more then a Mikrotik router so I expected that it will be exellent in reliability and in ability of tracking the traffic as well (on Android application too).
Non of this expectations came through.
1. Although the network where I use the RT2600ac is pretty small, just a few (max 10) IP's, I need to restart it every week otherwise it slows down the Internet traffic to the point of uselessness. No reliability - that's the worst. It seem that Synology is aware of the problem because in the latest SRM release is a new option to schedule the Router restart.... :-(
2. Tracking the traffic? Well that's bad as well. No chance to see what was the traffic distribution among the equipments during the time, no way clearly tosee what it the onw traffic of the router, a messy system of the online reporting, way to see on the mobile app the active equipments.... I hope that this is just a start release of the SRM and that in the future the real good statistic will be available. For such high price...

What is your general experience? What is your experience with the stability and reliablitity of the Wifi? Do you like the reporting?
The feedback would be appreciate because I want to go back to Synology with somequestion and claims.
RT2600at / DS715 /DS210+ / DS209+II / DS107
rolandrat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: General satisfaction with the Synology Router

Postby rolandrat » Wed May 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Some more granularity on reporting would be nice, 24 hour/1 Week/1Month/1 Year is a bit basic - I want to see how much the kids have been on facebook maybe for the last 3 days or for any date I choose.
Bandwidth management on my 4mb adsl line is superb, I can manage everything I need even down to slowing down microsoft/windows updates to a slow crawl so they dont saturate my 4mb - these features of it I find very good.
The dual wan works as it should for me also, no complex setup either all very simple, policy routing in this works good also.
Dont use the wireless so cant comment on that, I run a Ubiquiti Unifi setup at home which has worked better than anything else on any router ive had.
VPN has so far worked well for me, I just use it to connect my surface to home when out on public wifi's - it works and stays connected all day, so for me thats good, also sometime use it on iPhone, and again works flawlessly.
So in general im happy, its staying in for now.
imcon
Experienced
Experienced

Postby imcon » Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 am

Well, thee are many problems with it (from user friendliness side).

For example I want to see what was traffic to a specific connection (an unit on LAN). So I need a list of all connected equipments (active or inactive, where has to be clear which is active now and which isnt) and by 1 click to see the history with zoom. No way now.

Or another problem: In Network Center/Status - there is sometimes a warning that the connection is Limited (not Conected message). So there is a problem. But what a problem? There should be a link to a better description to analyse the problem. No way again...

Or the UI: the UI is nice, modern but pretty slow. If I compare it with our DS, then the Router UI is slow. Not disaster but annoying for such a hign price. No way to compare with the 10x cheaper Mikrotik.
RT2600at / DS715 /DS210+ / DS209+II / DS107
Babylonia
Skilled
Skilled

Postby Babylonia » Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 pm

I am a user since october 2015, two weeks in front of official sales of the router I got the RT1900ac
So I have experiance of all about 27 firmware updates since than.

In the beginning I was very happy with it, and had no issues. Using basic functions and VPN-server.
Later on, by more extra options, more problems are stuck into the firmware. Bug fixes afterwards, but still several issues are not corrected adequately. Synology seems not to understand what is wrong, because of not real good first line support. Support employees as for the firts contact, have to less tecnicall knowlegde and seems not to undertsand the English language good enough as well. So communication often is not well enough to come close and deeply understand to figure out what is an issue about.

E.g. last time an employee suggest a new router "as he don't know" but as I read the same issues by several users, it is not hardware related, but software.
So I doubt a new router shall bring a solution. The employee is closing the ticket by his suggetion. So in reality giving the problem to another employee as the cause is not found by this contact, only opt for a new router. If you get a new router, and met the same problems, you have to do all over again contacting Support and making a new ticket.

Bugs that are never fixed till now by this miscommunication.
- VPN Client set in router far to slow. Never fixed. Ticket september 2016, see discription < HERE >
- Another issue found < HERE >
- The next issue is a combination of the following two found errors written at the following forum messages (and still there till today SRM 1.1.4-6509 , see this one too).
Issue 1: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 57#p467257
Issue 2: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 39#p476439

Running VPN Plus, and using the old standard VPN protocols (so not the new functions, but what can be found within the old "VPN-server" package as well.
See < THIS Message > and follow-up messages.
Last edited by Babylonia on Fri May 05, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Fri May 05, 2017 9:40 pm

imcon wrote: Well It cost cca 10x more then a Mikrotik router

It doesn't cost 10 times more than a comparable Mikrotik router. It's about the same price. And for that price, you get a way more user friendly machine than Mikrotik, which almost requires 15 Cisco network certificates to even understand that horrible GUI.

C'mon, you are insulting the good people at Synology with this utter nonsense. Don't do that. Who are you working for; the competition?
Somebody here sucks big time. BIG time. Small...
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Fri May 05, 2017 9:46 pm

rolandrat wrote:Bandwidth management on my 4mb adsl line is superb, I can manage everything I need even down to slowing down microsoft/windows updates to a slow crawl so they dont saturate my 4mb - these features of it I find very good.
The dual wan works as it should for me also, no complex setup either all very simple, policy routing in this works good also.
Dont use the wireless so cant comment on that, I run a Ubiquiti Unifi setup at home which has worked better than anything else on any router ive had.
VPN has so far worked well for me, I just use it to connect my surface to home when out on public wifi's - it works and stays connected all day, so for me thats good, also sometime use it on iPhone, and again works flawlessly.
So in general im happy, its staying in for now.

Bandwith management, and dual WAN with failover are highly advanced features, not found in consumer routers (...)

To all the people complaining: stop whining that some sort of Wallmart piece of plastic junk is 'better'. It is not.

What Synology is doing is being very disruptive in the market: building professional router stuff for consumers at consumer prices. Just like it does with DSM. DSM 6.1 is very impressive, and DSM 7 will have an even greater 'wow'-factor.

Just as DSM 6 is a huge step forward from DSM 4, so will the next SRM be a huge step forward. You bought a brand new product type from Synology, don't complain if it isn't yet as stable as when it is as mature as DSM 6. You should have bought the Wallmart-junk and have waited. Don't blame Synology for it.
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Fri May 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Babylonia wrote:because of not real good first line support. Support employees as for the firts contact, have to less tecnicall knowlegde and seems not to undertsand the English language good enough as well. So communication often is not well enough to come close and deeply understand to figure out what is an issue about.

English isn't your native language either, obviously :mrgreen:

There is a point in what you write. It's the story of life: some people are good, others are not. You can't see that when you hire somebody, and so Synology HR also can't see that. People need to prove their qualities, and there is only one way to find out: put them on support, and let's see.

So, agree: Synology has EXTREMELY talented people (trust me: the average human being doesn't even come close to some of the bright minds @ Synology...(!)), but also has very talentless people. They will be replaced. But do realize, there's a war on talent. Everybody wants the smart 0,001%.

Just like in anybody's life: the bulk of people are not talented, but companies still need resources.

Give Synology some credits, would be my advice. You get PROsumer-material for CON-sumer prices.
Last edited by Noah on Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babylonia
Skilled
Skilled

Postby Babylonia » Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 am

Noah wrote:English isn't your native language either, obviously :mrgreen:

So, agree: Synology has EXTREMELY talented people (trust me: the average human being doesn't even come close to some of the bright minds @ Synology...(!)),

You are right, English is not my mother tongue either.
(That makes communication also difficult ---> that's why I often show many screen shots. "One image tells more than thousand words").
And I agree that Synology do have talented guys.
But that is some steps "beyond". At first step you have the "average" kind of employee for all kinds of pratical issues. I do understand.
But real bugs however, has to be send to second (or third) line support. They do understand. But the "first step" employee is not always convinced or don't understand itself that it is necessary to contact the real technical guys beyond. Several issues are not taken seriously enough IMO and doesn't reach the real technicall boys.
The issues as written in my previous message has to be corrected already far more early IMO, but still isn't done yet.

I know users, that by this behaviour have enough in waiting, and want to get rid of this router.
kjbathe
Student
Student

Postby kjbathe » Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 pm

As I have written in other summaries, I wanted to love this router but the performance issues, instability and lack of reporting features were too much. Sure, SRM has a nice UI, but if the router is doing its job, how often do we need to be looking at that UI? After a year of this forum, synology support, swapped hardware with Synology, more tickets, same unresolved issues, etc... we switched to a new ASUS router. It was a decision I wish we made a year earlier. Once we replaced SRM, all of our connection issues, drops, hangs, slowdowns and reboots are gone. With SRM out of the mix we are stable again. There's still potential for SRM and I hope it evolves into something as stable as DSM 5+. But I agree with the OP that it's been a big disappointment.
Babylonia
Skilled
Skilled

Postby Babylonia » Sun May 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Yes, I can understand.
I work as a volunteer for a foundation, an do some network support.
But for the new office starting to be used now, we didn't choose to go for a Synology router, as it has to many annoying glitches.

I like the Synology router by the user GUI, and is nice playing around if it is your "hobby" in private network area, but I wouldn't bet on it for a more big organisation.
guyguy
Novice
Novice

Postby guyguy » Mon May 08, 2017 2:13 pm

I am overall happy with the Synology 2600ac router. This is my first Synology product and so far so good. I have used Linksys 1900ac, Asus 68u, horrible Nighthawk r8000 and terrible Homehalo router. The 2600ac so far is better than the other routers. However, this router is not perfect and needs improvement. I have hope for this company to continue to improve the SRM and provide more features that are useful. Although fixing bugs are important, I want to see new features added to this router. I am happy with this router.
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Babylonia wrote:
Noah wrote:English isn't your native language either, obviously :mrgreen:

So, agree: Synology has EXTREMELY talented people (trust me: the average human being doesn't even come close to some of the bright minds @ Synology...(!)),

You are right, English is not my mother tongue either.
(That makes communication also difficult ---> that's why I often show many screen shots. "One image tells more than thousand words").
And I agree that Synology do have talented guys.
But that is some steps "beyond". At first step you have the "average" kind of employee for all kinds of pratical issues. I do understand.
But real bugs however, has to be send to second (or third) line support. They do understand. But the "first step" employee is not always convinced or don't understand itself that it is necessary to contact the real technical guys beyond. Several issues are not taken seriously enough IMO and doesn't reach the real technicall boys.
The issues as written in my previous message has to be corrected already far more early IMO, but still isn't done yet.

I know users, that by this behaviour have enough in waiting, and want to get rid of this router.

I am not debating you - because you are right :wink:

I do have enormous faith in Synology, because I've been through severe problems and have been impressed by the Synology people who solved it.

A little trick: imagine yourself being the boss of Synology Support. He has a boss too, who gave him a budget to work with. He gets 1000's of tickets per day, from across the globe.

He is a good man, he wants to help all customers.

And he is looking out of the window, trying to find A+++ staff to put in his team.

Do you understand how difficult it is to actually be in charge of this?

Henry Ford said it a long time ago: the secret to success is understanding the other side :D

(I don't disagree with you - yet, life is what it is).
Babylonia
Skilled
Skilled

Postby Babylonia » Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 pm

At least if you take the time to write problems in detail + convincing screen shots, communication is much better.
And life gets much more easier to for Synology support, to understand and take action.
E.g. < THIS FIX > (at least personally for me now solved. Hopefully the fix shall be included for everyone in next SRM update soon).
Mark Bee
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Mark Bee » Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I recently got a Synology router, I was not greatly happy as an upgrade from OpenWPS.

I was shocked to find the firewall did not and a WAN and LAN zone, no user groups either and available applications are limited.

Spent the last week deep diving it, I feel happier now. It is running well and offers some great features. Though it is not as solid as I hoped.

But I will be happily keeping it for longer because DSM is absolutely amazing and I feel sure they will bring SRM in line.
emilvals
Trainee
Trainee

Postby emilvals » Sun May 21, 2017 12:38 am

I was happy with my 1900ac and even more happy with my 2600ac.

Return to “Installation and Configuration”