Backup data stored on Harddisk connected to Router

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your Synology model.
chaelli
I'm New!
I'm New!

Backup data stored on Harddisk connected to Router

Postby chaelli » Sat May 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi

I have some shared folders on a harddisk that is connected to my router. I would like to backup these to another synology (a regular diskstation). As there are no backup tools available on the router I think that the only possible solution is the Cloud Station Server on the Router in combination with Cloud Station ShareSync on the diskstation. Is this correct? And if so.. how can I configure this?
I always get "No shared folder available for syncing"

The configuration looks like this:
router:

diskstation:

I just cannot imagine that there is no option to backup to a diskstation... if someone has another idea - I'm open for any solution
dunstablecomputers
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Backup data stored on Harddisk connected to Router

Postby dunstablecomputers » Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Yep, we also would like to see this function added to the router but none listed at the moment.

Possible workaround (for us anyway) on our Synology RT2600AC with attached USB storage with shared folder:

1. If our Synology NAS can see the router attached USB storage then it can be backed up to the cloud! - to be tested but doubt it.

2. If our backup server (same network) can see the router attached USB storage then our backup software Retrospect can back it up to the cloud! - most likely option for us at the moment unless somebody else can suggest another?
Regards

Mark Winter
DunstableComputers.com
chaelli
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby chaelli » Fri May 19, 2017 5:18 pm

What I finally did:
- I setup WebDav access on the router
- I configured my other synology to load from webdav
Babylonia
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Babylonia » Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Ad for WebDAV, it could be helpful if you have stored small data files like "Office" based data.
But e.g. stored movie files can have problems. Files greater than 4 GB are not supported by the WebDAV protocol.

Return to “Installation and Configuration”