AC1900 Router and Apple

The general discussion room of Synology Router RT1900ac.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
jackguy
I'm New!
I'm New!

AC1900 Router and Apple

Unread post by jackguy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm

I am new to Synology products specifically the RT1900ac router. I am looking at the RT1900ac model to buy but I have a few questions. Before I ask my questions, I am a previous Linksys 1900ac and Asus AC3200 owner. Currently, I am using the Linksys AC router.

I am an Apple guy. I love my Apple products including Mac Minis, iPhones, iPods, ATV, Time Capsule, Airport Express and Airport Extreme. The Linksys AC router is compatible with ALL iOS devices and Apple desktops. I never had one problem with using the iOS devices on the Linksys router. On the other hand, Asus AC router is NOT compatible with iOS devices. I have had nothing but problems with using iOS devices on the Asus router including wireless disruption and disconnects.

I like the parental controls, firewall, traffic monitor, etc... that Asus routers have to offer. I don't like parental controls that Linksys has to offer. They are too basic and doesn't offer enough information to about each device.

My questions is on the Advanced Management Tools on the RT1900ac router.

1. Is there a "demo" site that I can view a live version of the RT1900ac router?
2. Does this router offer a Network Map or a client list?
3. How good are the parental controls (Time Schedule, Website blocking, etc..)?
4. Does this router monitor the traffic or which sites are being frequently accessed?
5. Has anyone used this particular router with iOS devices?
6. Do you block sites using URL and Keyword filters?
7. Can you block HTTP and HTTPs sites?

Any other helpful information about this router is appreciated.

kjbathe
Student
Student

Re: AC1900 Router and Apple

Unread post by kjbathe » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 am

1 - I'm not aware of a demo site but did run across a screen walk through last fall. Google might find it for you.
2 - The Status page shows connection status, IP Addresses for WAN, Wi-First and connected devices. Additionally, when used as DHCP server you can see attached devices and reservations.
3 - Parental controls are better than Linksys. You can set hours of access by device, block addresses manually, use preset blocking (e.g. no malware or adult sites), set your own custom categories to block and/or allow or block individual sites. The missing feature users want is the ability to define a group policy and assign devices to that policy. Currently you define it for each device. That shouldn't bring hard to add in a future SRM release.
4 - Not that I have found yet. Gap might be addressed in SRM 1.1
5 - iOS is fine in our house
6 and 7 - Yes but not sure about keyword (because we've been using the pre-defined categories).

Usage reporting and individual device tracking isn't as robust as I was expecting (compared to a linksys router running tomato), but again, the previews of SRM 1.1 look like Synology is addressing those requests. IMO it's a pretty good device. SRM 1.0 has some gaps to fill (like any 1.0 product) but I think the pros still outweigh the cons. It’s fast,stable, has much range than my old router, and it's actively being developed and supported along with other potential packages from the syno development community. And it's less expensive than ASUS.

tgilles1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: AC1900 Router and Apple

Unread post by tgilles1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 am

jackguy wrote: 1. Is there a "demo" site that I can view a live version of the RT1900ac router?
2. Does this router offer a Network Map or a client list?
3. How good are the parental controls (Time Schedule, Website blocking, etc..)?
4. Does this router monitor the traffic or which sites are being frequently accessed?
5. Has anyone used this particular router with iOS devices?
6. Do you block sites using URL and Keyword filters?
7. Can you block HTTP and HTTPs sites?

Any other helpful information about this router is appreciated.

So far, as someone who uses a mix of Linux, windows and Apple, I've had no issues so far. iOS, OS X, Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Windows 10 all run fine. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I have only one major complaint; and it's the form factor. The cable management of the ethernet cables / power and antenna placement if you're going to mount on a wall is really crappy. They have no cable paths to get around the antenna so you end up wrapping cables around them. They need to go back to the drawing board concerning that. It's also obvious they didn't think wall mounting through because they used a wall-wort style plug , made the cable VERY SHORT and didn't build in a way to lock the power plug into the router so it wouldn't get accidentally pulled if hung on a wall or ceiling.

A simple solution would be to allow a cable routing paths underneath, through the bottom of the router. Unfortunately it is completely flush so I'm going to have to come up with a custom solution.

Return to “Synology Router”