Hands on Observations

The general discussion room of Synology Router RT1900ac.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
clobber88
Beginner
Beginner

Hands on Observations

Unread post by clobber88 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 pm

I picked up the new RT1900AC on a recent trip and have been playing with it. My previous router was a Fritz!box 7390 which is quite feature rich. The parental controls and email notifications are virtually identical to the Fritz!box. Other observations so far:

1) I don't have a Synology NAS so am not familiar with DSM. I assume it is very similar to SRM on the router. I do like this interface and am happy with it. It is very responsive and takes new settings quickly. I suspect most people reading this will already be familiar with DSM.

2) One reason I bought this router was for the VPN function. I didn't feel like mucking with Tomato or DD-WRT. There was a limitation on my Fritzbox router where the VPN was designed to connect two of their branded routers. You could not connect them to a VPN service. I like that the RT1900AC lets me do either. I have tested it with PPTP connections to HMA which worked fine. I am confused about some of the options like a check box for each configured VPN that reads, "Use default gateway on remote network." The help page says that means you want to, "Enable this option to route the network traffic of the Synology Router to the specified VPN server." Why would I configure a VPN connection if I did not want to do that?

3) I like that there are guest networks available on both the 2Ghz and 5Ghz bands

4) Built in help manual is very good.

Suggestions:

1) So far I have only connected four devices to the router. A firetv stick, a chromebook, windows laptop, and a network printer. Only the printer and windows computer automatically came up with a recognizable name on the dhcp host table. The firetv displays as android-99842842083420 (I made those numbers up) and the chromebook does not display a hostname. My old router did the same, but allowed me to edit the hostname. If you have quite a few devices to connect like I do, managing them could be a pain. For example, setting little Jimmy's nexus 7 parental controls by having to recognize the MAC address is not user friendly. Also, this router lets you control bandwidth usage by device, but it looks to me like you will have to do that by MAC vs. friendly name. A work around to this is that it looks like you can set up DHCP reservations with an included hostname, but that can defeat the purpose of DHCP.

2) I would like to have some form of source routing available. The RT1900ac does let you set up static routes by source, but only by destination. As an example, I would like to be able to configure my firetv stick to use the VPN, while other devices do not. I have not played with the CLI via SSH yet, maybe there is a form of iptables or something where I could do this.

3) Neither the main status screen nor the wireless configuration page actually tells you which Wifi channel is being used. Yes, you can manually choose a channel or set it to auto. If you choose auto, you don't know which channel is being used. My other router not only gives you that information, but has an interference analyzer. Basically like having a built in Wifi Analyzer app.

Unrelated to the RT1900ac, I now have one router for devices I want to connect to VPN and one router for devices I don't. This does present a problem because I want all devices on the same LAN. For example, I want the firetv to use VPN for Internet traffic, but access my local Plex server. However, the box that runs the plex server should not use the VPN for Internet traffic.

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

oRBIT
Ace
Ace

Re: Hands on Observations

Unread post by oRBIT » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40 am

Here comes a few questions..
1) Does it come with a webserver package?
2) MariaDB?

Thanks!
DS918+ (12B RAM, 6TB WD RED, 2x3TB WD RED WD30EFRX-68EUZN0)

My Synology blog: http://synofan.blogspot.se

clobber88
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by clobber88 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:01 am

Well

1) Not sure about web package, other than to access the management gui. Here are the available services with "httpd" in the name:

SynologyRouter> initctl list | sort | grep httpd
httpd-avahi start/running
httpd-sys start/running, process 12329
httpd-sys-monitor stop/waiting
httpd-user stop/waiting
webdav-httpd stop/waiting
webdav-httpd-pure stop/waiting
webdav-httpd-ssl stop/waiting

2) I see nothing about mariadb

pete y testing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pete y testing » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:55 am

hi guys

pete y testing here from whirlpool forums in australia

i have just got one of these for testing and comparison with the other 1900ac class routers i have here and am experiencing some poor power output from the 5 gig transmission even at close range , this poor output is resulting in poor throughput

with inssider reporting -49db with the router no more that 3 feet away from test comp that have an asus pce-ac68 wireless adapter installed , the 2.4 gig is reporting -25db

in contrast a tp link archer c9 is -25db for both bands at the same distance as are the asus tr-ac68u and netgear r7000 and linksys rt-1900ac

the wireless chipset used has not been used before in a wireless router and only in a few mini pce and wireless access points

just wondering if anyone else is seeing this 5 gig issue

there is also the fact if i select australia in the regional settings the 5 gig wifi chamnnel selection does not show the high end 5 gig channels like ch 153 which is what i use for my test ch , if i however select canada it shows the upper channels

unfortunatly this does not resolve the 5 gig power levels and the low rssi reading

pete

pete y testing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pete y testing » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:49 am

btw can anyone assist pointing out a synology rep that we can make contact with to report these issues and to give feedback and get fixes from etc as atn i feel link a bit like "The martian " not knowing where to turn or where to get answers from with regard to the rt1900ac

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:04 am

pete y testing wrote:btw can anyone assist pointing out a synology rep that we can make contact with to report these issues and to give feedback and get fixes from
Contact
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

pete y testing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pete y testing » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:03 pm

um isnt this the synology online forum or not

are there rep from synology monitoring these forums or not ?

i should not have to troll synology contact us

so is this the official synology forum ?

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:11 pm

*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

clobber88
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by clobber88 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:12 am

I will try some testing for Pete Y soon. I can say that I have observed some anomalies with the 5GHz. For example, I have a Plex server connected to the 5Ghz, but sometimes all the clients can't seem to find it. The DHCP client list shows the server, but I can't connect. I have to manually reconnect the server. I have not determined a pattern yet.

I have been in contact with Synology about some things. I was informed that for problems, we should submit a ticket here https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php and that feature requests should go here https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback

pete y testing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pete y testing » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:50 am

tony one of the users that also has this router sent a msg to synology and the result was

"we can get 800Mbps in the lab with a MacBook Pro similar to yours" — and that they are still tuning the configuration. "

if the R and D cant get a 1300M connection from the router why in the hell did they even bother releasing this yet its obviously undercooked , the 5 gig is terrible and inconsistent even when close

see

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7D5CB240B ... 44&o=OneUp

tested at 3 feet from the router with an asus pce-ac68 , the transmission power is lacking

i have sent this unit back and waiting on a replacement but stocks are quite limited so might be a few weeks till they get more stock

clobber88
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by clobber88 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:47 am

I guess I'm not really seeing that problem on my router. I don't have anything fancy, just the wifi analyzer android app. The received power is the same for the 2.4 and 5G band and they are nearly identical to my previous router.

THat statement by synology is unclear at best. It reads to me like they are talking about throughput vs connection speed. You're never going to get throughput equal to connection speed. I would assume that 800Mbps through put is about the best you would ever get on a 1300M reported connection speed. And that would be with only one wireless device.

Warlock00
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Warlock00 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:41 am

Here's my hands on day 1 observations.

Initial frustration
Got my router, had some weird issues NATing to non-bridged modem on WAN port where modem was 192.168.2.1 and Synology-Router was 192.168.1.1, had to revert Synology-Router back to 192.168.3.1. Was hair pulling for a while. But working in the end.

Negatives
I don't like how the status page has a large overview header, this is too limiting on the number of devices I can see. With each person owning 3 devices plus router, nas, printer, amp/receiver, 2 tvs, cameras plus a few scattered old devices I need more viewable space, dislike having to scroll the list.

Wish the per-ip/device bandwidth status was available as a separate application in SRM.

The per-ip/device bandwidth transfer graphs maximum scaling is very jumpy, almost of no value other than to look pretty. Max scale factor is all over the place, and doesn't use your traffic control max bandwidth setting.

Devices will grey out when blocked, this is inconsistent, greying out wrong things or not greying out when it should.

Lacks feature that my other router had, being able to click on a poorly named device and see information about the device, eg Manufacturing company. Can help assist in figuring out what a device is.

Very annoying that the status page refresh rate is about 5 seconds, so long, makes things appear sluggish.

Annoying Traffic Control Monitor with a legend of only 5 items (scroll for the rest) that do not change order.

DS Router application on phone doesn't display download and upload speed on screen at the same time. Forehead slap :shock:. Overview header too large limiting the number of devices that can be seen.

No widgets.

Positives
Per-IP/device maximum bandwidth control is working fairly well so far. Many devices fail at this. Good to limit those pesky iphones from killing the upload (and thus download).

Quick Per-IP/device internet banning feature is good.

When updating device time schedules (parental control), the updates applied fast.

Traffic Control Monitor by Application is nice.

DS Router application on tablet was better than phone and in some ways better than the SRM which is actually quite odd, eg, actually shows the IP of devices. Shows both download and upload on screen at same time (compared to phone).

Tip
At first, what disappointed me was not being able to give devices a friendly name when I don't like the user given name and especially when android devices have meaningless names. Strangely this can been done using the DS Router application by adding a device to Parental Control which gives you the rename feature. I finally discovered that the SRM can edit names and images via Traffic Control page.

Local Networks / DHCP Clients - The only way to show device IP. Doesn't show your device nick names, thus when giving devices nick names, recommend you mix in its original name some way.
Last edited by Warlock00 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

p lopes
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by p lopes » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:44 pm

I'm interested to see the "range" of this router...

Cause with beaformimg should be better than others routers with teh same antennas without beamforming.

Return to “Synology Router”