Is SMB3 multichannel support in DSM 6.0 beta?

DSM6.0 beta, based on a more efficient system architecture by rolling 64-bit architecture on compatible models and modularizing a greater number of applications, DSM 6.0 delivers significant advancements in productivity, flexibility, and performance.
Key new features in DSM 6.0 include: Btrfs File System, 64-Bit Architecture, Service Modularization, Snapshot & Replication, 802.1X support and much more.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Benoire
Trainee
Trainee

Is SMB3 multichannel support in DSM 6.0 beta?

Unread post by Benoire » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:12 am

Hi,

Is SMB3 multichannel included in the SAMBA version in DSM 6? Has anybody looked or checked that out?

Thanks,

Chris

Micke_O
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Is SMB3 multichannel support in DSM 6.0 beta?

Unread post by Micke_O » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:02 am

It's available in DSM 5.2 so I would be surprised if it would have been removed in 6.0. Haven't verified it's actually working though but I have it enabled.

Benoire
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Benoire » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:08 am

SMB3 is enabled, that's for sure, but I wasn't able to get my servers to pick up the multichannel of SMB3 so I wondered whether the implementation in DSM was using the full SAMBA 4 release... If someone can confirm that, from a single TCP stream (i.e. file transfer) that you get more than 125MB/s to a windows 8+ device with two NICS that would be grand as that would confirm multichannel SMB3 support, rather than just SMB3.

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Benoire wrote:SMB3 is enabled, that's for sure, but I wasn't able to get my servers to pick up the multichannel of SMB3 so I wondered whether the implementation in DSM was using the full SAMBA 4 release... If someone can confirm that, from a single TCP stream (i.e. file transfer) that you get more than 125MB/s to a windows 8+ device with two NICS that would be grand as that would confirm multichannel SMB3 support, rather than just SMB3.
Yeah, I don't think it's supported in DSM5.2, but I also can't yet confirm as to if this is enabled in DSM6.0. In 6.0 the Samba version is showing as 4.1.18 but that doesn't necessarily mean that all features are available.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

aronake
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by aronake » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:41 am

SMB 3 multichannel would really really be something that should be very high on the list in including. Would make the 1 Gb/s multi Lan port synology a completely different product!

This would be the most important upgrade I could think of for Synology DSM.

Hope synology are not reluctant to do so to not compete with their 10 Gb/S products.

To my understanding Qnap have SMB 3 multichannel already and something Synology need to catch up with.

Anybody who know if its working as on now in DSM 6 beta?

JasonJoel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JasonJoel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm

I tried multichannel in DSM6 beta1 and could not get it to work. I will admit that I didn't try very hard, but following a few of the guides I saw online I think I had it setup correctly (is pretty easy), but did not get multiple connections.

SAMBA 4.1.18 doesn't have full support for all SMB 3 features - as mentioned earlier.

I will say, though, that I would be using SMB 3 today on the Synology if multichannel was supported (Hyper-V shared storage in particular). It is MUCH easier to setup both the shared storage and networking than iSCSI is.

I set it up a Hyper-V cluster at work using another Windows 2012 R2 box for the storage server to test SMB3, and it was shocking how simple it was to get working and how fast it was!

Jason Bottjen

mervincm
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by mervincm » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:01 am

Any links to confirm a current QNAP, a common Linux distro or even Samba itself support multi-channel SMB3? This is a killer feature that I have only seen actually present in Microsoft Operating systems.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED

Benoire
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Benoire » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks for the replies and apologies, I abandoned the thread!

I cannot say if QNAP have it, although I did read they where running a release of SMB3 with multichannel but that could have been a beta install. At the moment, they have working demos of multichannel on two of the developers WIP branches that shows it works and from the main roadmap page it shows as funded but no indication of when it will be merged with a release branch.

I presume when SAMBA is updated to include multichannel that synology would adopt this version quite quickly as it is a killer feature multi 1GB NICs to give higher performance without the need for 10G networks.

ducphuc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ducphuc » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm

SMB Multichannel in Samba will be in the next major release. Which is Samba 4.4.0 planned for March 2016. This information is in a presentation from SNIA SDC 2015.
http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files ... %20rev.pdf

Benoire
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Benoire » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Awesome, hopefully it will be. I've lodged a feature request with Synology so hopefully it will be rolled out to one of the 6.xxx versions when its ready as on-version update.

thejae
Novice
Novice

Unread post by thejae » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:12 am

:D https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.4.0.html

The experimental version of multi-channel has been released! I do hope Synology will allow us to enable it somehow :lol:
DS1513 x2; DS1515; DS1815

bledd
Novice
Novice

Unread post by bledd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Any news on this?

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:45 pm

bledd wrote:Any news on this?
No, because it's still experimental for Samba itself.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 6.0 Beta”