Mixing drives

Check out if your hardware is compatible here!!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Actionable Mango
I'm New!
I'm New!

Mixing drives

Postby Actionable Mango » Fri May 06, 2011 7:22 pm

I am considering a DS411slim with four 1TB drives. The two recommended drives in this size are Samsung HM100UI (5400RPM) and Western Digital WD10TPVT (5200RPM).

I've read that mixing drives is good in a RAID because it greatly reduces the likelihood of two drives going bad (in case there is a bad run of drives). I have read about certain bad batches from both Seagate and WD in the past.

So I was going to mix these two recommended drives in the 411slim, but then I notice they are two different RPM drives. Is this a problem?

I suppose I could run all the same drive model/RPM, but try to get different batches by ordering one drive each from four different places, but having two different manufacturers seems safer to avoid a bad batch or even an entire model line that turns out to be bad.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility Lists”