Compatible UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Check out if your hardware is compatible here!!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
btodd01
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Compatible UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Unread post by btodd01 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 am

btodd01 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 pm
I couldn't figure out how to edit my post. Turns out that the APC guy recommended the APC BR1000MS 1000 VA Pure SineWave 10 Outlets 2 USB Charging Ports Back-UPS Pro Battery Backup. I see the BR1000 not MS. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this and whether will interact properly with this UPS.

thanks
After quite a bit of digging I found out that most APC ups would probably work. I installed the Back-UPS BR1000MS (comes with USB cable) in Ubuntu 14.04 and also installed the apcupsd package which worked great in Linux. I tried to set up my DS112 to connect to the acpupsd and discovered that the Diskstation is set up to work with the nut package (Network UPS Tools). So i installed nut in Ubuntu in master mode and configured the diskstation to connect to the nut server. Success.

I am sure that if I installed the ups on the diskstation (via usb) that it also would have worked just fine but I'm not sure I could get my linux pc to connect to the ups via diskstation.

In summary I discovered that most new ACP ups's and probably othet brands will work with most devices. If you have several devices that connect to the ups setting up one machine as the server and the rest as clients work pretty well.

The way I set mine up, all devices will run for 20 + minutes and when battery starts getting low it will shut down the the server. Clients poll the server and you can get them to shut down first - after doing some reading.

When I tried looking at compatibility, I found out that newer ones may not have been tested but bigger brand names(lots of ACP models) were likley supported via nuts or apcupsd servers running on linux and other platforms.

Ninja8
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Ninja8 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:24 am

I have tested the following UPS and Diskstations and they both seem to work as expected.

DSM: DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1
NAS: DS1515+, UPS: APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 (BR900GI)
NAS: DS713+, UPS: APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 550 (BR550GI)

Rix__Mix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Rix__Mix » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 pm

NAS: DS1815+

UPS: Cyberpower CP900EPFCLCD-UK

Works perfectly.

Tested a complete power failure situation. All works as expected, email notification sent, placed NAS in to safe shut down mode after X amount of time, then finally shut down the UPS.

Really glad these are now available in the UK, they have true a AC sine wave inverter in them, resulting in a very clean power signal.

zihsuan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by zihsuan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:23 am

Hi guys, I purchased an APC BK500EI for my DS214SE a couple days back. UPS is completely charged, and accurately detected by the NAS. I set the time before DS enters safe mode to 30 minutes. The strange thing is, when I simulate a power failure (ie cut the power to the UPS), the DS enters safe mode immediately (the disk light goes off, while status and LAN remain on so I assume that's the case). When I restore the power to the UPS, the DS restarts itself and claims that it has "recovered from an improper shutdown".

Did I just waste money on a UPS? :shock:

telos
Distinguished
Distinguished

Unread post by telos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 pm

For those wondering about whether a UPS is required...

2 weeks ago a storm knocked out our power. The next day I ordered an APC BX1350M determined to keep my NASs afloat without abrupt shutdowns. 3 days later it arrived... but... before I even plugged it in I heard a loose metallic thingy moving around inside the case when I tilted it from side to side (sounding like a loose piece of aluminum). Since it was inaccessible and not in the battery area I arranged an exchange.

Yesterday the returned unit was received and while hopefully its replacement will be here soon... soon wasn't enough. Last night we suddenly lost power, followed immediately by 3 attempts to restore power... all which failed. An hour later again... 3 successive attempts to restore power failed. By then I has unplugged the inline power protection feeding the units.

I am now too spooked to turn these units back on. Even if they start well, I don't want to go through another power drop out without UPS protection. I'm convinced UPS is "cheap" insurance.

I'll post back on the BX1350M when it's in service. (hopefully soon).

EDIT1: The BX1350M arrived and my DS418play recognized it. I had to use the front USB port as the rear one wouldn't fully accept the connector. I'll check that out again later.

Next I set the DS to go down after 10 minutes of pwer failure (I'll check that later... after router is replaced). Then I set the DS418play as server to communicate to my DS213j (backup NAS). All seemed to go well. I haven't yet used the APC software.

My router failed 2 days after the recent power dropouts. I tried resetting it but I could find no way to get to its login screen. Fortunately an old Linksys WRT54G filled in until the new router arrives.
Last edited by telos on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kawi1000
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Kawi1000 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:21 am

APC BX850 for DS214-PLAY

Worked great out of the box. I connected it first to the computer with the APC Powerchute Software to review settings and get a look "under the hood". After that, connected it to the USB of the DS214-PLAY. Go to Power Settings/UPS in the control panel and there it is recognized. Setting it up from there is straight forward. Just make sure you uncheck the "Shutdown UPS after Sleep" option, so that you don't disconnect other devices connected to it by turning it off. Tested it by unplugging and the NAS shutdown in an orderly manner.

The APC provides great readout information - including power consumption. The Synology consumes about 10W idle. I've connected modem, router, switch, computer and telephone modem to the APC as well. With the computer turned off, have about 35 minutes of battery runtime with all those devices connected. Great for shorter outages to keep internet and land line working. Note that I attached a power bar to one of the battery powered outlets. As long as the total connected device power demand does not exceed the maximum of the unit - I figure it's fine.

With everything up and running - total draw is about 110W - capacity of unit is 550W.

Since I just got it, I can't comment on longevity. Only time will tell - and the next true power outage.

hommers
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hommers » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi,

does anybody has experience using Synology DS1817+ with APC UPS network card AP9630(CH) ?
The UPS i would like to use would be APC SUA2200R2ICH.

Thanks fpr your help!

Regards,
Thomas

samuele.m
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by samuele.m » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:39 am

Is there anyone using the APC BX700UI UPS with the DiskStation DS216j? It works?

In my case, before the last updates were compatible and everything worked fine. But now the UPS is not recognized by the NAS.
My gear
UPS: APC APC BX700UI
NAS: DS216j DSM v6.2-23739; 512MB; SHR(2xWDRed4TB); LAN:1
HW: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), macOS High Sierra 10.13.5, Windows 10

samuele.m
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by samuele.m » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm

samuele.m wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:39 am
Is there anyone using the APC BX700UI UPS with the DiskStation DS216j? It works?

In my case, before the last updates were compatible and everything worked fine. But now the UPS is not recognized by the NAS.
I solved the problem and confirm that it works.

My gear

Misiu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Misiu » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am

samuele.m wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm
samuele.m wrote:

samuele.m what was the problem?
I'm looking for UPS for DS218+. Official compatibility list has only expensive UPS and I don't want to pay for unneeded power.
I'm wondering about buying APC Back BX700U-FR, but I don't have experience with UPS and Synology (bought first Synology month ago).
Thanks for advice :D)

samuele.m
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by samuele.m » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am

Misiu wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am
samuele.m wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm
samuele.m wrote:

samuele.m what was the problem?
I'm looking for UPS for DS218+. Official compatibility list has only expensive UPS and I don't want to pay for unneeded power.
I'm wondering about buying APC Back BX700U-FR, but I don't have experience with UPS and Synology (bought first Synology month ago).
Thanks for advice :D)
Actually I do not know what happened but I tried to disconnect all the cables, Ethernet and power, I waited a few minutes and then I reconnected everything. After these operations, the UPS was recognized by DSM.
My gear

Wolfseye
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:26 am

Hi guys,

i am thinking about getting an UPS, to keep my PC, my Switch and my Synology DS1817+ powered in case of a power dropout, at least so things can boot down properly.

I was thinking about the APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA BR1500GI, which should have plenty of power to help out in a situation like this. Technically its in the compatibility list with Synology Diskstations. However, and thats why I ask, it only says there DS1817 and DS1517, not the PLUS models.

Does anyone maybe have both, this UPS and the DS1817+ and can confirm that it works well ? Also, if you could tell me, is this UPS loud ? I heard some of those devices are quite loud, and since it will be in my room, i rather like to know before i buy it or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

################

P.S: And which UPS would be the least to have for the following items.
  • 750 Watt Gaming PC
    Synology DS1817+ (with 8 drives)
    Cisco SG300-28 Switch
I suppose things like a monitor dont need to be attached to an UPS. From what I hear, APC isnt bad because their battery prices arent that high in case of the original one is empty. Is there any reason against APC ?

Wolfseye
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm

From what I have learned so far, it seems for Server & Storage Systems, a ONLINE UPS is the best way to go. However, aside from getting more expensive, the list of compatible devices seems to be smaller and smaller.

Anyone here knows a good ONLINE UPS that is compatible with Synology DS1817+ and doesnt cost a small fortune ?

jseymour
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by jseymour » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Wolfseye wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:31 pm
From what I have learned so far, it seems for Server & Storage Systems, a ONLINE UPS is the best way to go.
Speaking from experience (26 years in Systems, Network and TelCom Admin): It's not necessary. I've used everything from little "stair-step" APC Back-UPS' to large, high-end APC and other manufacturers' on-line, sine wave UPS' and never had a single server, storage array, network device, phone switch or workstation suffer from standby UPS switching.

Today's modern switching power supplies are pretty darn tolerant of some pretty serious power line anomalies, IME. I used to see the power blink so seriously at work the UPS' in the computer room would *beep* and the office lights flicker, and have not a single desktop user complain of their PC crashing.

I've got an APC BE600M1 600VA Back-UPS on order for my DS218+ and I'm confident it'll do just fine.

Wolfseye
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Wolfseye » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm

jseymour wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm
I've got an APC BE600M1 600VA Back-UPS on order for my DS218+ and I'm confident it'll do just fine.
Your device is not even listed in the Compatibility List, from what I can see. So I wonder, how reliable is that list ?

Return to “Hardware Compatibility Lists”