Compatible UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Check out if your hardware is compatible here!!
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
noonereallycares
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Compatible UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Unread post by noonereallycares » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 pm

I have a client who is running a DS1817 and are looking to add a UPS. I was hoping to grab a CyberPower Value1200ELCD. However, it is not on the list of compatible UPS hardware. Is this simply because nobody has tested it? Or it this because the list of compatible UPS hardware is a comprehensive list of the ONLY options.

I know I can grab one of the enterprise-level UPS devices (with the related price tag). However, is there a viable alternative which won't cost more than the NAS?

gmeister
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by gmeister » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

I have an APC Smart-UPS C 1500 and the product has a somewhat regular momentary switch to battery power and then back to AC.

I'm not sure if this is an actual cut-over, or just some kind of heartbeat message to the NAS that's being interpreted as power loss and power restored events.

Is there any way a delay could be added to the notification sequence, so that a brief change in power state off and back on don't trigger all the warnings?

scaunt
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by scaunt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I have a DS216J and a UPS – APC ES700. The latter is apparently compatible with my DS in so far as the USB link works since the DS can read UPS data. (Which is what I think is meant by compatible….)
This morning our mains power supply crashed very briefly. My pc connected to one of the backup outputs kept going but the DS did not even though it is connected to the same protected outputs of the UPS. My DS “suffered from power failure and was shut down improperly”.
I had previously enabled UPS Support via DS control panel and set the time before DS enters safe mode to 5 minutes.
Therefore, it appears that the DS is sensitive to power glitches through the UPS caused by mains outages and therefore my DS goes into failure before the backup supply takes over. i.e. a supposedly compatible UPS cannot prevent power failure. (DS rebooted OK) So, the UPS is basically useless for preventing DS crashes which could corrupt hard drives.
What can I do to ensure that the DS keeps running and shutdowns properly after 5 minutes? Is there a UPS that can deliver uninterrupted power without causing the DS to shutdown improperly? Note – compatible or supported does not mean it works!

WST16
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WST16 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 pm

scaunt wrote:I have a DS216J and a UPS – APC ES700. This morning our mains power supply crashed very briefly. My pc connected to one of the backup outputs kept going but the DS did not even though it is connected to the same protected outputs of the UPS. My DS “suffered from power failure and was shut down improperly”.
Hi,

I have the same UPS model and it's working. I read what you’ve said above. But are you sure the DS is plugged into a backed up port, because half of them are spike protection only not power backup.

Try to test that particular port by itself with a lamp, try the other ports too. Also make sure you’re not exceeding the indicated UPS capacity.

If you’re sure then you might have a faulty UPS.
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 : Mac user

scaunt
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by scaunt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:41 pm

WST16 - Thank you very much for going to the trouble of replying. I can confirm the UPS is indeed compatible with my DS. Your encouragement led me to believe it was a faulty UPS and a strategic punch to the UPS box got it working (not sure it ever worked properly!). A new UPS is required.
My grateful thanks again.

WST16
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WST16 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:57 pm

scaunt wrote: strategic punch to the UPS box got it working.
Should be included in the trouble-shooting section in the user's guide. Love it :lol:
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 : Mac user

BiroR
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BiroR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I am searching for a UPS to backup my router, DS215j and a Raspberry Pi3 (Server). I am searching for a simple/easy and cheap solution (max 200€) to maintain my devices ON for 5/10 MINUTES in order to shut down properly.

Sadly, I found more UPS devices in the Synology Compatibility List for USA / other countries with 110 V. Since I live in Europe, I have 220-240 V /50 Hz Schuko output..

Has anyone tested a USP with Schuko output pots?
I found the APC BX1400U-GR, but I do not know if this is compatible? has anyone tried this with Syonolgy DS215j?

Thank you very much!

krgoodwin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by krgoodwin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm

The APC UPS will check the battery condition by momentarily switching over to battery power and back to AC. If the test determines that the battery won't hold up under the current load, it signals appropriately by a tone alert and a static display (line message or red light depending on the APC model). The switch over is a normal operation. I've never had a problem from the test execution but then again it rarely pulls the test while I am around.
gmeister wrote:I have an APC Smart-UPS C 1500 and the product has a somewhat regular momentary switch to battery power and then back to AC.

I'm not sure if this is an actual cut-over, or just some kind of heartbeat message to the NAS that's being interpreted as power loss and power restored events.

Is there any way a delay could be added to the notification sequence, so that a brief change in power state off and back on don't trigger all the warnings?

krgoodwin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by krgoodwin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:07 pm

APC Back-UPS XS 1500 with a DS415+ The UPS is recognized by the NAS but not sure if the APC is compatible. One item I did discover is that the NAS essentially won't turn on when the APC UPS is plugged into the USB 3.0 port. No probs when plugged into the USB 2.0 port which is the recommendation on the Synology UPS compatibility list.

lordduckling
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by lordduckling » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 am

I recently purchased a DS1817+ and I am looking for an UPS that will do a proper shutdown in case of power loss. It doesn’t need to stay powered on for long. The UPS on the compatible list are either too big or too expensive for me.

Has anyone tried the APC Back-UPS 850VA UPS (BE850M2) or the smaller 600VA?

Thanks guys!

gmeister
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by gmeister » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm

krgoodwin wrote:The APC UPS will check the battery condition by momentarily switching over to battery power and back to AC. If the test determines that the battery won't hold up under the current load, it signals appropriately by a tone alert and a static display (line message or red light depending on the APC model). The switch over is a normal operation. I've never had a problem from the test execution but then again it rarely pulls the test while I am around.
What you're describing sounds like what I'm experiencing, however should this automatic self-test sequence -
1. be happening about once a week; and,
2. result in the double notifications each time (i.e. UPS entered battery mode, then UPS returned to AC mode)

?

I don't mind (1), as long as I can suppress the notifications. This was why I was curious if there is a configurable setting for how long the UPS is on battery mode prior to notifications being triggered. Right now there is so much Cry Wolf going on, that I'll probably never even notice a real power outage...

Willems Tech
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Willems Tech » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 pm

I am configuring a DS1517+ and have a APC BR1500G connected and set to power down the NAS after 15 minutes.

Since I will be remotely managing this server its important for me to have this thing power back on by it self.
I have enabled it to "Restart after a power failuere" and also "Enabled WOL over LAN"

I am concerned that I might have created a loop that when the power stays offline for more then 15 minutes the unit will shut down and reboot again etc etc etc
But if disable the "Restart after a power failuere" how will it know to turn itself back on once the power has been restored...
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

m.matic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by m.matic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 am

Does anybody know if PowerWalker VI 650 SE/IEX Line Interactive is compatibile with Synology DS214SE?

m.matic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by m.matic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Correction:

Is UPS PowerWalker VI 650 SH IEC supported in Synology 214SE?

eziggy3
Trainee
Trainee

DS418 Compatible UPS

Unread post by eziggy3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Not much on the compatibility list for the 18 series. I think I found one for the DS418Play and it was over $400. Appreciate anyone's recommendations.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility Lists”