SHA vs CIFS Scale Out Cluster

Discuss the CIFS Cluster. Note that this function has been discontinued since DSM 5.1
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Puzzle
Sharp
Sharp

SHA vs CIFS Scale Out Cluster

Unread post by Puzzle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Not sure, if this is the right place to put this, but well...

With DSM5 we have two "rivaling" cluster options:
- Synology HighAvailability Cluster
- CIFS Scale Out Cluster

That's how I understand it:
If you only want a redundant file share with no additional services, but the option to store lots of data, you'd go with a CIFS Scale Out Cluster.
If you need redundant shares and are running different services on the Syno box, then you'd choose an SHA, so the services would be handed over in case of failure.
It also seems, that with SHA you can only connect two units together, whereas in a CIFS Cluster you can add many (12 + 12 ?) units.

Is that correct?

Or what is the reason Synology maintains two different cluster philosophies?

jasonlitka
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: SHA vs CIFS Scale Out Cluster

Unread post by jasonlitka » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm

From what I've seen of Scale-Out Cluster so far it looks like you can't build one with existing disk groups which means new hardware purchases only (or potentially large data transfers). Also, for some reason, my RS10613xs+ isn't supported.
Jason Litka

Puzzle
Sharp
Sharp

Re: SHA vs CIFS Scale Out Cluster

Unread post by Puzzle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks for the input jasonlitka.

So far (http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/tutorials/596), it seems the CIFS Scale Out Cluster only supports CIFS file shares.
Does anyone know, if alsow iSCSI Targets are or will be possible?

I haven't had the possibility to test this, as our Synology boxes are all in productive operation.

Return to “CIFS Cluster (discontinued)”