Procedure for restoring from CloudSync (B2)

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation to online Cloud backup providers such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, SFR, China Telecom.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
bentwookie
Rookie
Rookie

Procedure for restoring from CloudSync (B2)

Unread post by bentwookie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm holding my nose and about to install DSM 6.1. My past upgrades haven't gone well, so I'm preparing for the worst. I realize I don't know the best procedure for restoring a NAS from CloudSync. I've been using CloudSync to back up a volume of files and the Docker partition to BackBlaze.

If the update goes sideways, or my Celeron decides to fail, and I end up with a box wiped to just the DSM, how do I go about getting my stuff back? I don't see an obvious "restore" button anywhere. I see all kinds of documentation about how to push to B2 but nothing about getting it back.

Do I just set the box up again and point to my B2 buckets and let it "sync"? I'd be terrified that it'd sync itself to nothing on both sides.

Can anyone give me some advice or point me where to read up on this?

Thanks!

madmanwoz69
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Procedure for restoring from CloudSync (B2)

Unread post by madmanwoz69 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:26 am

bump

bentwookie
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by bentwookie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 am

Sorry, this is one of those community forums where you just shout up the hole you've fallen down. The company never helps, but sometimes another person falls down in the hole with you. Welcome to the hole.

nicky314
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nicky314 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Hello,
I am looking for the same information.
How do you restore from Backblaze B2 by using Cloud Sync?
I have been for 2 days looking for this info in the internet and I don´t find anything.
Thank you for your help.

bentwookie
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by bentwookie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:50 am

SOMETHING NEW HAS FALLEN INTO OUR HOLE!

Are you here to save us? We've been down here so very long. Tell us of the outside! Are people able to restore from CloudSync as described by prophecy? Are you the chosen one?! What sacred texts showed you how to do it?

Please save us and our files. It's so dark down here.

nicky314
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nicky314 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Does your answer imply that it’s not possible to restore from B2?
I can’t believe it.
What is the purpose of doing a backup when there is not a way to restore it?

bentwookie
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by bentwookie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Sorry, I didn’t mean to confuse the issue by following up on my joke earlier, but I couldn’t pass up a chance to point out how terrible Synology support is. These forums are useless.

I have the same question you do and never found an answer. If you find out the right way to restore from CloudSync, let the world know.

synfinatic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by synfinatic » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:21 am

So I've been looking into this... I mean I just assumed it was easy...

So the only answer I have figured out is:

Login to Backblaze website and download the files manually from B2 or use the "b2" CLI tool: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/docs/quick ... _line.html

Fun fact: if you turn on encryption in CloudSync (since B2 doesn't encrypt anything) you then have to manually decrypt the files. I don't know how painful it is for you, but since there is only Windows and Linux decryption tool available from Synology (no OSX or built into the DSM itself) I suspect a lot of pain for large restores.

I think I'm going to have to rethink this :(

bentwookie
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by bentwookie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks for digging into it.

Ugh. The whole endeavor seems to have been rather pointless, and done nothing but lure me into a false sense of security.

Some Synology guy made some noise on Reddit about adding a B2 connector for HyperBackup, but that was a year ago. I'm not holding my breath.

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to Public Cloud Storage”