5.1 Causing Internet/Hardware Performance Issues?

A new DSM aimed at boosting Data security (new Security advisor, AppArmour and digital signature for packages...), increasing business productivity (new Proxy Server, IPv6 support, NFS VAAI...), creating a more integrated private cloud (Windows ACL support in Cloud Station, support for OneDrive, Box and hubic in Cloud Sync as well as cloud backup to Microsoft Azure...), and providing flexible collaboration tools with Note Station/DS note and Public link sharing in all key multimedia packages
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Canuk
I'm New!
I'm New!

5.1 Causing Internet/Hardware Performance Issues?

Unread post by Canuk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:53 pm

Hello everyone.

I recently updated to 5.1 (incl. 5022) and immediately started experiencing issues with other Internet-connected hardware in my house (receiver, VOIP phone, laptops). I sent the following note to Synology and will share their responses.

In the meantime, has anyone else encountered this problem? And, have you found the cause/solution?

"On December 27th, I updated my OS to DSM5.1 and have also performed the patch updated (5022). Since then, I have been experiencing Internet connectivity and other hardware performance issues. Examples include:

- Ooma VOIP phone: my audio drops after 1 or 2 minutes; I can hear the other person but they can't hear me; forced to end call (ethernet)

- Internet Radio: buffering issues and drop outs several times an hour (ethernet)

- Laptop: webpages stop responding or don't load; delay is usually 30 seconds to a minute; occurs several times per hour (wireless)

I have had no issues with my Squeezebox (wireless), PS3 (wireless) or Apple TV (ethernet).

Ooma Technical Support did a QoS change but the problem still continues and my Internet Service Provider (ISP) confirmed my modem is operating as expected.

Here is my setup:

Modem Cable #1 to Switch to NAS + Receiver/Internet Radio + Apple TV + Smart TV
Modem Cable #2 to Wireless Router (Access Point mode) to Laptops + Squeezebox + PS3
Modem Cable #3 to Ooma VOIP Phone (ethernet)

Is there anything that DSM5.1 could have done to cause these performance issues and, if so, what is the fix? (Note that my problems started immediately after the DSM5.1 upgrade)."

microkid
Versed
Versed

Re: 5.1 Causing Internet/Hardware Performance Issues?

Unread post by microkid » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:11 am

To me it sounds very unlikely that a Synology NAS can have any influence on your internet connection. Did you power down the NAS and tried again for a couple to hours to see if the problems have gone?
DS918+ | 4 x WD RED 4TB in SHR | 2x250GB SSD | DSM 6.2-23739 | VMware ESXi 6.7 via NFS

Canuk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Canuk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Update:

After powering down, restarting, etc various components the problems persist. The NAS is feeding its stored media flawlessly, but content/services from outside sources (VOIP, Netflix, Internet radio, etc) experience interruptions. The ISP says the modem is working fine. I believe that they are wrong. It's the leading explanation and that the timing of the problems (after 5.1 upgrade) is likely just a coincidence.

Here is feedback from Synology:

"I am unfortunately not able to support issues that do not involve the device (NAS). If I were to attempt to suggest an issue, I would check that your modem is working and that the internet connection is stable, as you appear to only have an issue with data heavy tasks on the internet."

cainite62
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cainite62 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi...

I have the same issue with webpages. I am sure is for Diskstation, because if I stop it, all works fine. I wainting for Synology suport for a solution, but the ones give me is not working for now.

drabisan
Guru
Guru

Unread post by drabisan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Are you running DNS or DHCP on your DS?
That could be a good point to investigate.

@Canuk: you mentioned your laptop is causing problems. You can take a close look and see if it receives IP served by DS. Or DNS is DS?
While you have problems, you can run an wireshark on your laptop and try to figure what's wrong. Or maybe some services you are running on your DS interfere with router functionality. Maybe UPNP?

This is not an easy problem.

I would find a way to prove to Synology that while DS is shutdown there are no networking problems. But without packet captures to prove Synology is doing something wrong won't be easy :(

My 2 DSs are not causing me any problems. But I'm not running too many services on any of it.

Canuk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Canuk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 am

Update #2

@drabisan I'm in the middle of a test (extended shut down of the NAS - thanks for the recommendation @microkid) but I'm 99.9% certain that I've had it on the DHCP setting since initial set up.

As for initial test results, after shutting down the NAS about eight hours ago:

- Internet browsing on laptop and iPad suffers no lags
- VOIP calls do not experience any audio drops
- Both tested while streaming from a radio station's online service

Basically, everything is back to pre DSM 5.1 performance levels.

I will share this feedback with Synology and see where it goes from here.

Any thoughts/suggestions from the forum are welcome too!

curto21
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by curto21 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 pm

I was experiencing the same problem with 5.1. I did a packet capture with wireshark to see what was going on. I started a persistent ping of google.com from a workstation and monitored the packet capture. I found some UPNP packets that were popping up exactly when the ping would stop working.

I disabled UPNP on my router and BAM... all fixed. Hope this helps you.

BBloke
Novice
Novice

Unread post by BBloke » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:52 pm

That gives some hope to the stuttering I've seen on viewing films. I was thinking it had something to do my multiple powerline adapters but it's something I may try if I muster the enthusiasm to upgrade from 4.3.

Cheers curto21.
DS414 - 4 x 4TB WD Reds (SHR)

dcb
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by dcb » Mon May 25, 2015 10:24 am

While using the DS downloadd app will sometimes cause my NAS to be off connection. Had to go home and reset the modem/router to solve the problem.

Canuk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Canuk » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:37 pm

I'm back. For the past few months, I've just turned off the NAS because of the delays/service interruptions. I committed to fixing everything this weekend!

NAS back on. I've taken my Asus router out of AP mode and have a couple of clients accessing it wirelessly on 5ghz. All other clients are accessing the cable company modem/router via ethernet or wireless. As per @curto21 suggestion, I have turned off UPnP on the cable modem/router. Updated setup:

Modem Cable #1 to Switch to NAS + Receiver/Internet Radio + Apple TV + Smart TV
Modem Cable #2 to Wireless Router (router mode) to Laptops + iPad
Modem Cable #3 to Ooma VOIP Phone (ethernet)
Modem to PS3 + Squeezebox (wireless)

Will see how things perform over the next few days. One strange test - BestNetRadio-New Wave station on my AVR/Internet Radio/ethernet performed flawlessly with NAS off. During problem periods i.e., NAS on, there are buffering issues and most often the station just changes automatically to the next one on the list. Doesn't happen with other stations. Weird, but a good test now.

Fingers crossed...

(If you see any glaring issues with my setup, please let me know. Thanks!)

Canuk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Canuk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Test results with NAS turned back on, modem/router UPnP off, and 2nd router out of AP mode and only supporting clients on 5ghz:

- Ooma VOIP phone audio drop outs returned (I can hear them, they can't hear me for over 30 seconds)
- Web browsing suffers from delays/freezes several times per hour
- Internet radio experiencing buffering and some stations don't come in

If I turn the NAS off, this all goes away. (I've upgraded to 5.2 and that makes no difference).

@drabisan - according to the NAS - Network Interface - LAN settings, DHCP is not being used

I'm not a networking expert, but I'm willing to try things that won't blow stuff up. PLEASE make suggestions!

spirelli
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by spirelli » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:40 pm

I've been experiencing the same thing for months! I was convinced it was my ISP's problem, but I finally spoke to someone who was smart enough to provide some thorough troubleshooting. Any updates or success in solving this problem?

My story: My DS214play was working fine for about six months. My family and I all started to notice problems with page loads and anything streaming (VoIP, YouTube, Skykpe, etc.) so I used PingPlotter to monitor and record network interruption patterns. I had problems for about two months, during which I complained regularly to my ISP. Finally a network engineer with my ISP forced me to disconnect everything except my desktop PC from the router to troubleshoot and then everything was fine. I began reconnecting things and everything stayed fine until my DS214play was reconnected. The problem would go away when it was disconnected from the network and reappear when it was reconnected. Having gotten that far, I've exchanged cables, tried different router/switch ports, disabled QuickConnect and DDNS, deactivated UPNP on the router, and disconnected other things that might be creating problems (e.g. powerline networking gear and other routers). Nothing has eliminated the issue except keeping the NAS unused and disconnected from the network, which is the status for the past two months, during which my network connections have been stable.

A NAS that can't be connected to a network is a pretty big waste of money in my opinion. If anyone has any helpful suggestions about how to solve this problem, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Canuk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Canuk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:10 pm

spirelli wrote:I've been experiencing the same thing for months! I was convinced it was my ISP's problem, but I finally spoke to someone who was smart enough to provide some thorough troubleshooting. Any updates or success in solving this problem?

My story: My DS214play was working fine for about six months. My family and I all started to notice problems with page loads and anything streaming (VoIP, YouTube, Skykpe, etc.) so I used PingPlotter to monitor and record network interruption patterns. I had problems for about two months, during which I complained regularly to my ISP. Finally a network engineer with my ISP forced me to disconnect everything except my desktop PC from the router to troubleshoot and then everything was fine. I began reconnecting things and everything stayed fine until my DS214play was reconnected. The problem would go away when it was disconnected from the network and reappear when it was reconnected. Having gotten that far, I've exchanged cables, tried different router/switch ports, disabled QuickConnect and DDNS, deactivated UPNP on the router, and disconnected other things that might be creating problems (e.g. powerline networking gear and other routers). Nothing has eliminated the issue except keeping the NAS unused and disconnected from the network, which is the status for the past two months, during which my network connections have been stable.

A NAS that can't be connected to a network is a pretty big waste of money in my opinion. If anyone has any helpful suggestions about how to solve this problem, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Hi Spirelli. Sorry to hear about your troubles. My NAS has been disconnected so long that my synology.me account has been deactivated. Essentially, I gave up after trying a bunch of changes similar to yours and finding that when the NAS was disconnected everything was fine, but when on the network the problems returned. I'll probably waste a few more hours on it today in the hopes that something has magically fixed itself.

xmarinusx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by xmarinusx » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Canuk wrote: Hi Spirelli. Sorry to hear about your troubles. My NAS has been disconnected so long that my synology.me account has been deactivated. Essentially, I gave up after trying a bunch of changes similar to yours and finding that when the NAS was disconnected everything was fine, but when on the network the problems returned. I'll probably waste a few more hours on it today in the hopes that something has magically fixed itself.
I'm having the exact same problem. Has anyone found a solution yet?

gtrhone
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gtrhone » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am

Yeah, same problem...my network runs fine until the NAS is connected; then I get dropped from the connection every few minutes; I've reset and rebooted all the routers/switches and computers...what gives? Any solution. The unit is useless if it causes these issues and it's more than clear...if it off, no problems. When it's on, I can't get a steady internet connection. Come on, there must be a fix!

Return to “DiskStation Manager 5.1-5004 and onward versions”