5.1-5004 Update 2

A new DSM aimed at boosting Data security (new Security advisor, AppArmour and digital signature for packages...), increasing business productivity (new Proxy Server, IPv6 support, NFS VAAI...), creating a more integrated private cloud (Windows ACL support in Cloud Station, support for OneDrive, Box and hubic in Cloud Sync as well as cloud backup to Microsoft Azure...), and providing flexible collaboration tools with Note Station/DS note and Public link sharing in all key multimedia packages
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
rjblake
Novice
Novice

Re: 5.1-5004 Update 2

Unread post by rjblake » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:00 pm

zuldan wrote:Updated my DS1813+ from 5.0 to 5.1-5004 Update 2. No issues at all. SSD cache is great!
I've upgraded my DS1813+ from 5.1-5004 Update 1 to 5.1-5004 Update 2 without issue. The issues I had with 5.1 are still there as follows:

1. Apple SMB shares - cannot connect to with smb://diskstation/... - have to use smb://diskstation.local/... or IP address
2. SMB performance (read/write) is degraded from 5.0
3. CPU usage is higher than it was under 5.0 (entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.System[1].info is always running, smb processor utilisation is higher)

Personally, I don't see any benefit to 5.1 and feel I made a mistake clicking on the upgrade button. I will stick with it for now in the hope that Synology address the issues (have reported them) at some stage in the near future. At least I haven't run into the issues that some others seem to have.

Scepticer
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Scepticer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:24 pm

After Update 2 my DS212 says this in the system status panel "ATTENTION: DSM cannot start up normally because it ran into a problem. Please contact the Synology support team for help."

Everything was fine before the update 2. I have posted a ticket to support and waiting for a reply. The diskstation seem to work just fine though, except for that message that doesn't go away even after reboot. Any ideas?

ptheborg
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by ptheborg » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:26 pm

rjblake wrote:
zuldan wrote:Updated my DS1813+ from 5.0 to 5.1-5004 Update 2. No issues at all. SSD cache is great!
I've upgraded my DS1813+ from 5.1-5004 Update 1 to 5.1-5004 Update 2 without issue. The issues I had with 5.1 are still there as follows:

1. Apple SMB shares - cannot connect to with smb://diskstation/... - have to use smb://diskstation.local/... or IP address
2. SMB performance (read/write) is degraded from 5.0
3. CPU usage is higher than it was under 5.0 (entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.System[1].info is always running, smb processor utilisation is higher)

Personally, I don't see any benefit to 5.1 and feel I made a mistake clicking on the upgrade button. I will stick with it for now in the hope that Synology address the issues (have reported them) at some stage in the near future. At least I haven't run into the issues that some others seem to have.
Thank you so so much for your report! I will definitely stay away from 5.1 for now. May be I will never upgrade. When I replace my current DS2413+ for a newer model when it comes available it'll have the new version anyway.

deeisk_stayshun
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by deeisk_stayshun » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first post, here. I have been lurking here since mid-2013 when I purchased a DS213+ along with two WD Red 3TB drives, which I have configured in a Synology Hybrid Raid array.

I have been running DSM 4.3 since I first got my DS. When I read here about all of the issues with DSM 5.0, I decided not to upgrade. Time went by, and then 5.1 went into beta and then was released. In the past couple of days, I finally decided to roll the dice and upgrade my DSM.

My home network is as follows. I have an IOS 8 iPhone, Android 4.4 phone, Android 4.4 tablet, a couple of obsolete iPhone/iPod touch devices my kids play games on, a Dropcam, wired printer, Vonage box, TV, Blu-Ray, PS4 (all wired), Axis camera also wired but running through powerline Ethernet... caveats are my DS is internal only, so I have NO external access via Quickconnect, port forwarding to the DS, etc. and my DS no longer hibernates, ever, because it is running Surveillance Station and recording a video feed.

So anyway, as mentioned, I have the DS213+ with 2 x 3TB drives so around 2.7 usable. I am using it as follows:

SMB file services for four PC's running Windows 7 (wired desktop), Windows 8.1 (wireless laptops), and Linux Mint (wired desktops)
Surveillance Station with one Axis IP camera, record on motion, SS handling the motion sensor
DNS Server to resolve IP's of some internal hosts and devices and forward other requests to OpenDNS
DHCP Server with reserved IP's for all of my regular internal devices, both wired and wireless.
Media Server use with DLNA on my Samsung TV for video (home movies), photos, and music
Audio Station used with DS Audio on iPhone and Android devices
Photo Station used with DS Photo apps on iPhone and Android devices
Photo Station used with DS Photo apps on iPhone and Android devices
I also have DS Cam and DS Finder on my iPhone

Also I have a Cyberpower UPS powering the DS and being monitored by the DS via USB cable. I guess that covers my use case.

In DSM 4.3 I did a fresh local backup of all my data that I would mind losing, stopped services for all my packages, re-enabled the Upgrade, then upgraded from 4.3 to 5.0. It came up fine, then I immediately upgraded to 5.1 update 2. That came up fine, then I immediately upgraded all of the packages.

Upgrading the packages also started them. Everything came up, pretty much, okay. No real show-stoppers. Here are some issues and observations I have noticed with 5.1 update 2:

My DS ran with around 15-25% of its 512MB RAM used under 4.3... in 5.1 it uses around 25-35%. A lot of the extra consumption seems related to process synoindexplugind. It is currently using 25MB on my DS but I have seen it as high as 40-60MB when I was re-indexing and when it was idle and sleeping. This issue may have been introduced in 5.0, but I didn't notice, because I skipped 5.0.

CPU utilization is a little higher on average, but not much, at least not when "idle". My DS was running around 5-10% CPU utilization on average due to the ssd process, Surveillance Station recording an IP camera feed and detecting motion. It is basically the same now, or maybe a little higher... 6-12% or something.

I notice the DSM interface now looks cartoonish, which is a cosmetic issue that came with 5.0 I guess. I also notice that clicking on basic stuff like Control Panel tends to briefly spike CPU utilization. I don't remember that happening on 4.3.

When I first brought up DS Photo after the upgrade, I noticed my thumbnails were missing. So I re-indexed my media library. My library isn't huge... I have like 15GB worth of music, 10GB worth of home movies, and a few GB worth of personal photos. It finished pretty quickly, like an hour or less. Thumbnails re-appeared and everything seems to be working correctly with media, with one exception. My Android tablet isn't buffering video correctly in DS Video, but it does work correctly on my Android phone and iPhone, so I think it must have something to do with DS Video on that tablet, what codec it's using for H.264, or something... not the fault of the DSM upgrade necessarily. I remember it working better than that in the past, but DS Video has had an upgrade since then. DLNA on my TV, music, photos, and video on my phones, etc. is all working fine.

Usual SMB file services seem to be working okay also, from both Windows and Linux. No issues with casual use. I also banged on it earlier with a 25GB copy to the DS from my Windows 7 box, a system image pre-created and copied to an encrypted share on the DS. It was getting 20-30MB/s on average, copied 25GB in around 20 minutes. DS was running around 55-65% CPU utilization during the copy. I don't remember it being much faster than that under 4.3. While that copy was running, I was still able to go to Surveillance Station live view in a browser, and watch a squirrel running around at 1024x640 at 15 FPS with no noticeable extra lag.

So no massive failures or regrets, at least not yet. It would be nice if they tuned up some of these sluggish DSM desktop issues.

johnk.dev.null
Versed
Versed

Unread post by johnk.dev.null » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi Deeisk_stashun,

Nice post. I appreciate all the detail. Services running etc. Very good.

My experiences with 5.1 and 5.1-update 2 have been similarly uneventful. I seem to now have to restart Media Server after a reboot before the DLNA stuff shows up on the network, but apart from that and some minor issues with the improved security, it's all good.

I like the Security Advisor. I have it at custom level to prevent it moaning about my Optware install in rc.local. I also moved my custom perl install to /usr/local/bin to avoid false positives from the Malware checks. Now it gives me a big reassuring green tick.

JohnK
DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

deeisk_stayshun
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by deeisk_stayshun » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I have encountered a couple of additional issues with 5.1-1004 Update 2 in the past week.

1. In Surveillance Station, if I go to the Recordings list under the Management tab, and play videos there with the small pop-up player, those videos sometimes freeze and stop playing before they are completed. There is a mention in the release notes for SS 6.3-3380 about them fixing a problem that generally sounds like that... playback freezing for high-resolution video. Ironically, I never had that problem, prior to upgrading to DSM 5.1 and getting current on SS with 6.3-3380. Full disclosure, I also upgraded the firmware on my camera this week, so I have introduced another variable into the equation. However, I think I have this isolated to this specific playback function in SS, because I can download the videos from SS to my Windows box and play them without issue using any other media player.

2. I did a reboot on my DS last evening. When I woke up this morning, I got on my PC and realized that I hadn't re-mounted my encrypted shares. So I did that, then I went to do some tasks which create new files on an encrypted share. It failed with an "unknown error". So I went to Windows Explorer and saw that I could browse and read the share, okay... I tried to create a blank text file to test writes, and that failed with some odd error. Then I refreshed the Explorer and see that it actually created two copies of the text file, the original and one with a renamed (1) after it. [Please control your language]? I unmounted and remounted the share, still had the problem. I bounced Windows file services on the DSM, unmounted / remounted the share again, still had the problem. I went to another PC and tested a write to a different encrypted share, under a different userid, still had the problem. I tested a write to an unencrypted share, and it worked fine. I powered off the DS via DSM, powered it back on with the power button, mounted the encrypted shares again, and now they are working. I also checked the logs and didn't see anything indicating an issue with file services or mounting the encrypted shares. Kinda spooky.

brianbloom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by brianbloom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:43 am

I can't apply the latest update. I had been on 4.2 for a long time (on my LAN, no outside access), and just tonight did 4.2 -> 4.3 -> 5.0 -> 5.1 without a problem. But now it tells me "DSM 5.1-5004 Update 2 is available for download" and then gives me "Failed to download DSM" when I try to get that update.

I tried the suggested fix of setting my Control Panel -> Network -> General -> DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but that didn't appear to resolve the problem.

It's a 210+ which makes me wonder if like the last x10 versions it is lagging behind?
DS210+ with 2x Samsung HD103SJ, also Buffalo LS Pro

sconsulting
Novice
Novice

Unread post by sconsulting » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:57 pm

I can't apply the latest update. I had been on 4.2 for a long time (on my LAN, no outside access), and just tonight did 4.2 -> 4.3 -> 5.0 -> 5.1 without a problem. But now it tells me "DSM 5.1-5004 Update 2 is available for download" and then gives me "Failed to download DSM" when I try to get that update.

I tried the suggested fix of setting my Control Panel -> Network -> General -> DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but that didn't appear to resolve the problem.

It's a 210+ which makes me wonder if like the last x10 versions it is lagging behind?
I have the same issue on a shiny new RS2414rp+ so I guess this is a model specific bug? I updated from 5.0 -> 5.1 withous issues and now 5.1-5004 Update 2 is telling me "Failed to download DSM". The Google DNS workaround didn't help. When trying to do a manual update I get "unable to perform dsm update because this is an older version".

In the logs I've discoverd the following:
Download task for [/volume1//@smallupd@te_deb] failed.
However, when I log into the Synology through SSH I don't find any folder named /volume1/@smallupd@te_deb...

renebonvanie
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by renebonvanie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:21 pm

sconsulting wrote:
I have the same issue on a shiny new RS2414rp+ so I guess this is a model specific bug? I updated from 5.0 -> 5.1 withous issues and now 5.1-5004 Update 2 is telling me "Failed to download DSM". The Google DNS workaround didn't help. When trying to do a manual update I get "unable to perform dsm update because this is an older version".

In the logs I've discoverd the following:
Download task for [/volume1//@smallupd@te_deb] failed.
However, when I log into the Synology through SSH I don't find any folder named /volume1/@smallupd@te_deb...
I have the same issue on my DS1513+. I also looked on the FTP site and didn't find an updated file.

cdwilson
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by cdwilson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:56 am

I installed a fresh install of 5.1 on brand new drives today, but when I try to update to 5.1-5004 Update 2, I'm seeing this same "Failed to Download DSM. Please check your internet connection." error on my DS713+.

In the log viewer, I see the message "Download task for [/volume1//@smallupd@te_deb] failed."

When I take a look at /var/log/messages, I see a whole bunch of lines like the following:

Code: Select all

Dec 14 20:42:30 diskstation entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.Upgrade.Server.Download[1].start[31039]: smallupdate.cpp:557 failed to exec cmd=[/usr/syno/bin/wget --user-agent=synology_cedarview_713+ DSM5.1-5004 (smallupdate) https://global.download.synology.com/download/criticalupdate/core/5004-2/synology_cedarview_713+/smallupdate_5.1-5004-s2_all.deb -O /volume1//@smallupd@te_deb/smallupdate_5.1-5004-s2_all.deb --timeout=30 --tries=1], r=8, No such file or directory
Dec 14 20:42:30 diskstation entry.cgi_SYNO.Core.Upgrade.Server.Download[1].start[31039]: Server.cpp:87 Fail to download new update
Any ideas what may be wrong?

frozendave
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by frozendave » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi cdwilson,

I had this same issue. The solution is to "manually" apply the update by pulling it from here:

http://ukdl.synology.com/download/criti ... ck/5004-2/

and then installing it via your browser. The release notes for Update 2 imply this issue has been fixed but you need to install it first :)

hth

sanderg
Student
Student

Unread post by sanderg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:54 pm

The next big update for 5.1 is just around the corner, no need to debug the 'update 2' issue if it's overruled by a non-critical update pack.
Diskstations: DS213 | DS209 converted to DS211j
DSM beta user

rjh2805
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by rjh2805 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:10 am

sanderg wrote:The next big update for 5.1 is just around the corner, no need to debug the 'update 2' issue if it's overruled by a non-critical update pack.
How do you know? I'm anxiously waiting for it...

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by polanat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 am

rjh2805 wrote:
sanderg wrote:The next big update for 5.1 is just around the corner, no need to debug the 'update 2' issue if it's overruled by a non-critical update pack.
How do you know? I'm anxiously waiting for it...
You can check it yourself at HK site. There you may find DSM 5.1-5021 available for internal testing. Surely it is not final and cannot be official and bugless, but if you suffer and need it desperately - you may risk ...
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

joe002
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by joe002 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:00 am

"Fixed an issue where DS213+ and DS413 could fail to execute scheduled tasks after entering system hibernation."

I have a DS413 and installed 5.1-5004 Update 2 on 11/29. Starting 12/12 my scheduled backups stopped working. They are scheduled every day but they never start.

I just upgraded to DSM 5.1-5021 to see if it fixes my problem...
DS213j - 2x WD Red, RAID 1
DS413  - 4x WD Red, RAID 6

Return to “DiskStation Manager 5.1-5004 and onward versions”