Connection issues after DM 5.1-5004 update

A new DSM aimed at boosting Data security (new Security advisor, AppArmour and digital signature for packages...), increasing business productivity (new Proxy Server, IPv6 support, NFS VAAI...), creating a more integrated private cloud (Windows ACL support in Cloud Station, support for OneDrive, Box and hubic in Cloud Sync as well as cloud backup to Microsoft Azure...), and providing flexible collaboration tools with Note Station/DS note and Public link sharing in all key multimedia packages
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
andrewdifrancesco
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Connection issues after DM 5.1-5004 update

Unread post by andrewdifrancesco » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Hey guys,

I just registered to tell everyone here this, I just got off the phone with Synology. The tech had me do this:
Set your DNS settings to manual and use Google address 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.

Worked for me. I sent and email successfully and I am happy.\

Good Luck to all.

JayTee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JayTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:59 am

Using Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS worked for me too,

It's obviously a new glitch between the NAS and router introduced in 5.1. My router and DS 210+ had been co-existing peacefully for several years prior to this release.

Update 2 doesn't seem to fix it either - still need to use Google DNS.

jelwell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jelwell » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:18 am

My ioSafe N2 (DSM213) repeatedly freezes up and has no network when trying to contact for an update or packages. This occurred after the 5.1-5004 update.

Unfortunately my Control Panel - Network - General settings seem to be really screwed up. I have no "Default gateway" and the edit button for it opens a popup that only lets me cancel the popup. I also have no server name. The connection status is blank.

Here are some screenshots:

Also of note, 2 of my System Monitors are now blank.
Storage & System Health
Screenshots:
Joseph Elwell.
ioSafe N2 (DS213)

MichaelF
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MichaelF » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:30 am

So how can we roll back?

I am really annoyed that this update screwed everything up while I am on the other side of the globe...

mikovich
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mikovich » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Having similar issues here!

I have problems connecting to my DS211+ via the webinterface and experience seemingly random and frequent connection losses. Frustrating and annoying, since it deeems my music database useless through my Sonos system.

What are the prospects for a fix???

Sluuz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Sluuz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm

I also have the same issues. My apps are running "fine" and I get my daily system report in my email. But logging in in the webinterface breaks after logging in. Nothing loads and it seems like it's hanging.
Also, connections from my mediaplayer to the NAS get interrupted every 4 minutes. Same with connections from my PC.

I changed the DNS settings to the Google ip's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but that didn't do anything.
I created a support issue, but the first response I got was to run SMART tests and if that isn't reachable, test all my HDD's by connecting them to a PC. I only have a Macs though and those testing tools are only available for Windows, which sucks.
I really doubt this is a HDD problem.

mikovich
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mikovich » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 pm

I hope Synology comes up with a solution soon... as is, my NAS is unusable.

When I finally get into DSM, connection is lost after a few minutes. I tried running the s.m.a.r.t test... lost connection in the process... when I finally get back into DSM, reports show that the HDDs Work normally - everything should be fine.

pbw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pbw » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:07 pm

Same here, after update impossible to play FLAC files over SonoS! Library update is also taking ages.

airic499
Trainee
Trainee

Fixed Re: Connection issues after DM 5.1-5004 update

Unread post by airic499 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:30 am

Seems to be the same issue here I can't keep a stable connection. DHCP seems to have helped. But I am also having issues accessing the shares. If I touch anything to do with a share then it immediately locks up that program; Download on Chrome and IE. MicroTorrent, windows file manager. Anything that points to a share on the Synology cannot be accessed right now.

Just checking more closely. I was reading what happened, but in my case it is after the DSM 5.1-5022 Update 2 that I have the problem. But other than that, it seems nearly identical.

As a final update. Changing the DNS to manual and pointing at the Google servers as described did the trick. No idea why that should affect anything except web connectivity, which this box is not, but set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The real trick of course was getting the GUI to stay connected long enough to do that.

Itje12
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Itje12 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Postby Amon_RA » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi,

After updating DSM to version 5.1-5004 on my DS411slim the system loses all connections (ssh, samba, etc) after a few minutes. All leds are on and the system seems to be running fine. Once all connections are lost the powerbutton and reset button don't seem to do anything anymore. I have to un-re-plug the power in order to make it boot again. Once it is booting everything seems to work perfectly, but after 10 to 15 minutes it loses all connections (even my router doesn't see the DSM anymore). I'm basically stuck with a DSM that only runs for 10 to 15 minutes. The previous DSM versions all worked without a glitch... I checked the logs but I don't see anything out of the ordinary...
I have two DS411slim diskstations with DSM version 5.1-5022 Update 2.
One is working perfect, but the other one has exact the same problems as mentioned above. No connections at all after 10 to 15 mins. Even the router or Synology assistant cannot see the DS411slim.
I didn't see any solutions in this topic. Any ideas how to fix this?

Tigerauge
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Tigerauge » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 pm

8.8.8.8 worked for me! thank you!!

Bye, Tigerauge

Return to “DiskStation Manager 5.1-5004 and onward versions”