No DSM 5.1 for DSxx10!

A new DSM aimed at boosting Data security (new Security advisor, AppArmour and digital signature for packages...), increasing business productivity (new Proxy Server, IPv6 support, NFS VAAI...), creating a more integrated private cloud (Windows ACL support in Cloud Station, support for OneDrive, Box and hubic in Cloud Sync as well as cloud backup to Microsoft Azure...), and providing flexible collaboration tools with Note Station/DS note and Public link sharing in all key multimedia packages
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
JohnnyGoofy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: No DSM 5.1 for DSxx10!

Unread post by JohnnyGoofy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Noooo ;(

I thought my DS1010+ would last until DSM 6.0.
I was really looking forward to testing the new feature about locking a service to a specific interface.

I use OpenVPN on my NAS and I would really like to do the following

Download station --> all data though OpenVPN
The rest --> normal Internet

Currently OpenVPN is always active which means i have given up on remote access to my NAS and mumble server.

Does anyone know if this would have been possible in 5.1?
DS1010+ with DX510, 10x Samsung F3 1Tb in RAID 6.
robocopy (2gb file): 118MB/s read, 107MB/s write.

beepbeep
Trainee
Trainee

New DSM 5.1 version for x10 hardware

Unread post by beepbeep » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello,

For your information Synology have planned to release a new DSM 5.1 for x10

https://www.synology.com/en-global/comp ... rticle/480

Beepbeep

mukat4
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by mukat4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:54 pm

See here: Synology® announces the availability of DiskStation Manager 5.1 for x10 series

DS 212J DSM 6

SusiBiker
Seasoned
Seasoned
Location: Left The Pit behind - On my way to Nerdville, Dorkshire

Unread post by SusiBiker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:17 pm

mukat4 wrote:See here: Synology® announces the availability of DiskStation Manager 5.1 for x10 series

WONDERFUL!!! :D
Dear Self-Appointed 'Forum Police' - I am so glad I make you feel needed xxx :)

SYNOLOGY: Stuff
OTHERS: More Stuff

WILU
Versed
Versed

Unread post by WILU » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:07 pm

mukat4 wrote:See here: Synology® announces the availability of DiskStation Manager 5.1 for x10 series

great news :) good move Synology 8)

Artstar
Student
Student

Unread post by Artstar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 pm

This is an excellent response to customer demand. Thank you Synology and to all the naysayers who were complete dicks in this thread, screw you.

TerraHawk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TerraHawk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:52 am

Thank you so much Synology. This is fantastic news and great customer support. Thank you for listening.

jramskov
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by jramskov » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:00 pm

That is a very nice move by Synology! Thanks for listening to your customers!

AUSMUG
Novice
Novice

Unread post by AUSMUG » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 pm

If Synology's management had the same attitude (unwilling to listen to customers when making business decisions) as one forum member who repeatedly told other forum members unhappy with Synology's decision to kill off the update path for 10 series machines that they should just accept it and be happy they got 3 years of software updates the end result would have been the loss of many customers.

Thank heavens however, Synology was smarter than that forum member and listened to its customers and realised the ill will their initial decision was causing was not a smart business decision. There is a basic business principal here, "it is much better and cheaper in the long run to keep existing customers happy than to loose them and have to spend much more getting new customers". Maintaining customer loyalty should always be a prime concern for any successful business and businesses that don't remember this will always have a limited shelf life. If the hardware meets the minimum requirements for a software update it should be eligible for that update, plain and simple.

level380
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by level380 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 am

AUSMUG wrote:Thank heavens however, Synology was smarter than that forum member and listened to its customers and realised the ill will their initial decision was causing was not a smart business decision.
subtle......

I'm glad the DSxx10 users got DSM5.1, as I've said before it was a strange place for Synology to 'cut' them off, and doesn't follow with past history. Synology normally EOL products off with a major version bump, not a minor version and to be truthful, DSM5.0 -> 5.1 isn't that big of a change to have any increased hardware requirements.

But basically the DSxx10 users will be in the same boat next year. So don't put those pitch forks down just yet. Every year the same argument comes out. First it was the 06 users, then 07 users, then 08 users, then 09 users, this year it was the 10 users. Who yes got a 'WIN', but next year will you get a win when you 'feel' your NAS should be getting DSM6.0 and its not?

Oh don't worry, my my NAS is next, the 11 users. Do you hear me complaining? I had a 407, it got EOL in '11, so I brought another synology as it had been a great product and wanted some of the newer features on the SW and HW sides. So it was a win win for me.

Artstar
Student
Student

Unread post by Artstar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:20 am

The argument remains, these releases should be based on hardware capability and not arbitrary factors such as time. If it can support it, it should be released for it. Plain and simple.

brucexx
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by brucexx » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59 am

great - I cared only about OneDrive app and it is there and working on 5.0.4528 update 2.

I also see Note app and Proxy server - this is great.

Thank you

solomalee
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by solomalee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 am

Two pieces of great news...

First: Note app is available in 5.0 - Thanks to Brucexx for pointing that out 8)

Second: DSM 5.1 will be available for my 1010 - Thanks Synology :D
Last edited by solomalee on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synology DS-3018, 6x Western Digital 4TB WD40EFRX
Synology DS-1010, 2x Samsung 2TB HD204UI, 3x Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX
Synology DS-216, 2x Western Digital 3TB WD30EFRX
Synology DS-209, 2x Samsung 1.5TB HD154UI

knudsen
Novice
Novice

Unread post by knudsen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi Synology.

Great news Synology, simply great news....! I'm really happy with your decision - and many thanks for listening to us. And further more... It does seem to help on such issues writing in this forum - so thanx to all users for their comments... :D

A kind user advice to Synology:
I think you should look in to the CPU model and architecture, and out from this decide whether not a model is EOL regarding DSM version, and not the year of the product:
i.e. the DS1010+ and DS1511+ share the same architecture and only major diff is clock speed – so this way they should go EOL at the same time (DSM wise) due to hardware specs, rather than a release year of the product.
It might also be cheaper (or at least at the same cost) to keep security patches up to date this way, since security updates only have to be fixed for one DSM release rather than 2 different DSM releases (i.e. DSM 5.0 and 5.1).
So please devide your products into architecture (and specs) rather than release dates.

Regards.
DS-1010 DSM 5.1-5004
DS-212 DSM 5.0-4528
DS-409+ DSM 4.2-3252
DS-207 Firmware Version: DSM 2.0-0598 - 2 * Samsung 500GB (SAMSUNG HD501LJ )
DS-106e Firmware Version: DSM 2.0-0722 - Western Digital 500GB (WD5000KS)
DS-101j - Firmware Version: DSM 2.0-0722 - Western Digital 320GB (DW CDW2300BJ2-K2A)

SusiBiker
Seasoned
Seasoned
Location: Left The Pit behind - On my way to Nerdville, Dorkshire

Unread post by SusiBiker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:59 pm

knudsen wrote:Hi Synology.

Great news Synology, simply great news....! I'm really happy with your decision - and many thanks for listening to us. And further more... It does seem to help on such issues writing in this forum - so thanx to all users for their comments... :D

A kind user advice to Synology:
I think you should look in to the CPU model and architecture, and out from this decide whether not a model is EOL regarding DSM version, and not the year of the product:
i.e. the DS1010+ and DS1511+ share the same architecture and only major diff is clock speed – so this way they should go EOL at the same time (DSM wise) due to hardware specs, rather than a release year of the product.
It might also be cheaper (or at least at the same cost) to keep security patches up to date this way, since security updates only have to be fixed for one DSM release rather than 2 different DSM releases (i.e. DSM 5.0 and 5.1).
So please devide your products into architecture (and specs) rather than release dates.

Regards.
This is a really sensible post, and one I agree with 100%. Well played.

I would also like to say that in my humble opinion, having an arbitrary cut-off based on the year nomenclature when the capabilities of devices produced using the year tag varies greatly, might not the most sensible ways of doing things. For example, the + and XS ranges of one year are usually more powerful than the base devices from the following year. It's an illogical limit, capability-wise.
I'm hoping that Synology can step up to the challenge and do what's best for customers. The recent release of 5.1 for XX10 devices shows that they listen, and are open to suggestions.

Here's a suggestion then - make the next versions of DSM open to all. People can then try to install what version of DSM they want (hang on before you you attack me).
To make this work, Synology would have to make it possible for customers to install a 'lesser' version of DSM than that currently installed (to downgrade as it were). If this is done under the proviso that installing an older version of DSM, while possible, is not supported. That way, if data is destroyed in the downgrade - tough: it's NOT Synology's responsibility - you were warned...

I realise there will be those who attack me for this suggestion, and fair play to you - you have your opinions to, but this 'apparently arbitrary' year limit needs to be addressed as it obviously upsets quite a few people.
Personally, it doesn't bother me.

I think it would give Synology so much kudos (as the XX10 release has) if they were to do this. It will show they really care about their consumer-base.

Regards,
Susi xx

And, THANKS AGAIN FOR THE RELEASE SYNOLOGY!! XXXX
Dear Self-Appointed 'Forum Police' - I am so glad I make you feel needed xxx :)

SYNOLOGY: Stuff
OTHERS: More Stuff

Return to “DiskStation Manager 5.1-5004 and onward versions”