domain trust should multiple domain names show up in domain users tab?

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
ron7000
Beginner
Beginner

domain trust should multiple domain names show up in domain users tab?

Postby ron7000 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm

I am running DSM 6.1.3-1,
I have my DS1515+ joined to a Windows Server 2008 domain (or might be server 2012).
For this one domain everything works nicely, under domain/LDAP for the tabs "domain users" and "domain groups" it pulls down the user list from windows server.

We recently did a trust with our windows server to another. Our domain for example is called North.com. We did a trust with another domain called South.com. I believe that is all set up and working properly on the Microsoft Windows side, and users on client windows 7 pc's can log in on either domain via north\username or south\username.

My questions are, for DSM control panel file sharing within Domain/LDAP:

1) on the domain tab, "Domain Server Type" is "AD Domain".
Management mode is "Trusted Domain", the other option here is Single Domain with OU.
I should be using Trusted Domain for management mode, correct?

2) for advanced domain options the first box "DC IP/FQDN:"
do we need to add the names of all trusted domains here?
right now we only have North.com.
it would allow us to enter "North.com, South.com" but we haven't messed with that yet.
I would think we only need to join to North.com from synology, and north.com would pass down all the domain information including the trust relationship?

3) So we are not seeing any users/groups from the trusted domain South.com, and no one logged in via south\username can access our synology data share.
Under the "Domain Users" tab near the top right there is a "Domain" drop down box, and it only has North.com in it, and we have all the domain user names
from North.com showing up, and when we manually do an "Update Domain Data" that works for North.com.
But in the Domain drop down it does not show South.com, should it?

I have a couple pics showing all this, not sure how to post them here.

** other thing to mention is within synology log files, we can observe rejection of users logged in via south\username trying to access the data share.
daveT5
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: domain trust should multiple domain names show up in domain users tab?

Postby daveT5 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi ron7000, I was curious if you ever got this worked out? I'm also working with a domain trust and have had numerous issues. Sometimes I can get it so that the trusted domain shows up for permission assignment by tweaking the setup settings, but then it'll just dissappear when I go to check it again later. I'm currently in a state where the trusted domain isn't listed as an option under permission assignment, but I do have numerous users I previously setup while it was listed that can connect just fine. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something in the settings... did you have any luck? If so, can you outline the steps you took? Thanks!
mvyrmnd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: domain trust should multiple domain names show up in domain users tab?

Postby mvyrmnd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 am

I'd love an answer to this as well. I'm in exactly the same situation. Existing NAS/AD relationship, then created a new Trust, can't convince the NAS to honour the trust. Help?

Return to “Windows AD Domain”