Change Server Name but still showing old name on Shares

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
cavingreer
Trainee
Trainee

Change Server Name but still showing old name on Shares

Postby cavingreer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:49 am

This has really killed me tonight. I was moving from using my DS1515 as my primary NAS to using my DS1517 (Faster/more RAM)
I removed it from my Active Directory Domain, changed the Server Name to DS1515 and set to DHCP so everything would clear out in AD.
Then I shut the 1515 down and changed the Server Name in the 1517 to NAS1 and rejoined the domain.
All seemed good but then I had no access to the shares on the network.
I went into Shared Folder and every share still showed \\NAS2 not NAS1
I rebooted, checked everything a dozen different ways. Tried cloning, copying, creating new shares.
No matter what I did the shares were all still showing NAS2 instead of NAS1, the new server name.
I finally shut the 1517 down and put the 1515 back online. Went into Shared Folder and everything there still showed NAS1 not DS1515.
Changed the IP back, changed the Server Name back, Joined the Domain again and everything returned to normal.

So WHY ON EARTH would the share names not change with the Server Name?
cavingreer
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Change Server Name but still showing old name on Shares

Postby cavingreer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:08 pm

No one has any suggestions on this? I've submitted this to Support as well and no response yet. I'm pretty much at a standstill implementing this in my office until this is resolved
cavingreer
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Change Server Name but still showing old name on Shares

Postby cavingreer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Since I've had views but no responses - Update for those following:

I brought the DS1517 home so I could view it on a different network. Reset the LAN, logged in. Same thing. All shares in Shared Folder show as \\NAS2\Share instead of the current network server name DS1517. There was a DSM update to version DSM 6.1.2-15132. Applied it but no change to shares. Got into SSH, dug around everything I could find, I have linux experience so there's some familiarity with how the OS is designed, but couldn't find anything that suggested the share names should say one server name and the network config say another. \etc\hostname shows DS1517, which SHOULD be the only thing defining the network\server name. Finally I just decided to heck with it and deleted the entire volume and recreated Volume 1 with SRH/BTRFS. Created a shared folder, it shows Volume1 (SHR, BTRFS) nothing about share path. Browsed to it in Explorer. Changed server name in Network. Apply. File station still showed DS1517, Shared Folder still only showed Volume1 (SHR,BTRFS).
Restarted unit, File station now shows correct name (NAS1), Shared Folder still only shows the volume and specs, no share name. I can browse to it as \\NAS1 and see the shares. I'm thinking this is something hard coded into the Volume settings, or some obvious flaw in DSM, but I can't find anything. I still haven't gotten any response from Synology Support on this either. But at least at this point I may be able to copy my info from the 1515 to this unit and switch to it then wipe and start over with the 1515 as a backup unit. I'll post more if I get some response.

Return to “Windows AD Domain”