Flaky AD authenticaion on scheduled tasks, 2003

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
dabigtrain
Trainee
Trainee

Flaky AD authenticaion on scheduled tasks, 2003

Unread post by dabigtrain » Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 pm

RS2416+, running DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2. Mainly used as a backup target; one of the shared folders is for four Windows 2003 server D2D backups, using the built-in NTBACKUP. The NAS is joined to the domain, the folder is shared and always accessible when I log in as the AD domain's backup user (a dummy user who runs the backups).
The backups are scheduled overnight, and I can't count on their working. They worked consistently when pointed at another Windows server, but now two servers get regularly backed up, and the other two generally don't run. They're all running Win2003 service pack2; of the two that work, one is R2 and one is not; of the two that don't work, one is R2 and one is not. Grrrr.
Best of all, each morning when I check the backups, and then log in interactively to run them, here's what happens:
- I check NTBACKUP's report - it says "The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found," and the scheduled task log says failed with "exit code of (1f)."
- I try to run the scheduled task directly. I see NTBACKUP start, and then go away with no on-screen message, but when I check the scheduled task log, it again says "exit code of (1f)."
- Then I try to browse to the share (Start / Run / \\NAS\SharedFolder [enter]) - and the share appears, with no login problem or message. Just pops up like normal.
- I close that, and again try to run the scheduled task ... and it runs, without fail.

What the hell am I missing here? What could be getting in the way of the scheduled task running when I'm not logged in?

timmyc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Flaky AD authenticaion on scheduled tasks, 2003

Unread post by timmyc » Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 am

Yep. I'm getting the same problem with Windows Server 2003 since installing Version: 6.1.1-15101 - were working 100% before the update. Also have subsequently applied Updates 1 & 2 but scheduled Windows Backups are still failing with "The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found," and the scheduled task log says failed with "exit code of (1f)." When I login and run the scheduled task manually it works fine.

Synology please advise a fix for this.....

dabigtrain
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by dabigtrain » Tue May 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Since it's only Win2003 that has the problem, I suspect it's a SMBv1 thing, which we're all supposed to get rid of, but I'm Kind of stuck with it for now. Thinking there's some delay in the authentication process - that's why I can start the backup and have it fail, then browse to the NAS and see, and then start the backup and it works. I'll keep looking into it, and I'm reporting it to Synology as a bug. Will keep you posted.

dabigtrain
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by dabigtrain » Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Synology support suggested disabling SMBv1 on the NAS (not useful for me, since the problem involves Win2003 servers, which only use SMBv1), and using IP address instead of DNS or NetBIOS name in backup definition. Did that last night, and all four backups ran. Can't really declare that a fix, as all of them have run before, but if this works through the weekend, I'll put up with it as a workaround until I can get rid of those servers. Will keep you posted.

dabigtrain
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by dabigtrain » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:57 pm

IDing the backup target by IP address instead of NetBIOS or DNS name "worked" - that is, the backups have been reliable since the change. I'm not a big fan of that, as IP addresses may change, but as a temporary solution until I get rid of these 2003 servers, it will have to do.

Return to “Windows AD Domain”