Sporadically loss ityof network connectivity

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
mikeb84
I'm New!
I'm New!

Sporadically loss ityof network connectivity

Unread post by mikeb84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Hey guys,

I have an irritating issue with my NAS.

On occasion I will get reports from my users that they are unable to access their network drives, which are folders on the RS814.

Usually they power cycle the device, which is ok, but I would rather treat the disease than the symptoms.
I was having these problems previously, Synology sent out another NAS to swap out. The new one they provided is experiencing the same problems as the first.

The NAS connects to the network through a Meraki switch. I only have one NIC in use on the NAS, I was using both but disconnected one as a troubleshooting measure.

This last time, I tried unsuccessfully to connect directly using a network cable. No access, not even to the synology assistant. However, I unplugged and reseated the network cable on the NAS and had connectivity.
This feels like a networking problem, but there seems to be no cause. The logs on the NAS offer no guidance.

Any help is appreciated.

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Sporadically loss ityof network connectivity

Unread post by german_user » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Does the Meraki offer system logs or error logs that you can review?

Are multiple users losing their connections at the same time? or does it tend to be 1 user here...then another user later on?

You say that they reboot their client device/PC and that seems to restore their connections?

mikeb84
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mikeb84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:18 pm

It effects the whole facility. By device I mean the NAS.

I will check for logs on the switch.

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Unread post by german_user » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:32 pm

thanks for the details- so the Synology is rebooted to resolve the problem.

How are you doing IP assignments? Static for Synology, DHCP from a router or other server for the clients? Is this a workgroup config or Domain/AD, how are they authenticating to the Synology?

mikeb84
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mikeb84 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:21 pm

It is on a domain. When users log on to the domain they are logged into the NAS as well using Active Directory credentials for the network shares.

The NAS has a static IP, clients are all DHCP from the domain controller.

johnryan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by johnryan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:19 am

I am having the exact same problem. RS814 connected to a Meraki switch. Periodically everyone loses connectivity to the NAS. Rebooting the switch OR the NAS fixes the problem. I have several RS814 devices in client environments, the only one with problems is connected to a Meraki switch. The only thing I have found that helps is to schedule a shutdown and a boot up every morning. Any ideas on a solution?

alonne
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by alonne » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 am

Same here.

Almost every morning my users told me that they can't connect to their folder. What I do is go to AD configuration in control panel of synology, and update domain data. After that my users can go into.

We are using DSM 6.0.2-8451

Return to “Windows AD Domain”