Exporting Notes from Note Station

Discussion room for Note Station package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Mike@Synology
I'm New!
I'm New!

Exporting Notes from Note Station

Unread post by Mike@Synology » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Before I consider importing my notes into Note Station, is there a way to export notes in bulk out of Note Station?

If there is no way to get information out of Note Station, there is no way that I would ever put information in to Note Station. Doing so would be the equivalent of "information suicide".

Mike

jyboo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Exporting Notes from Note Station

Unread post by jyboo » Sat May 30, 2015 9:29 am

Hi,

Notes export is available.

Regards,

daydreamer
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by daydreamer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi!
As of 21 jan 2016, my diskstation is running DSM 5.1 latest update and I don't see a way to export the whole database in a format that can be interpreted by other software. A one note export at a time is not a valid option for me since I have hundreds of notes.
Synology, please add this functionality. Synology users, don't jump on that app (like I did), it is convenient but it is not worth much if it can't be exported. This is called a prison, think about the day you want to evolve to another software or when your diskstation breaks down and you want to use another solution :mrgreen:
Mike@Synology wrote:Before I consider importing my notes into Note Station, is there a way to export notes in bulk out of Note Station?

If there is no way to get information out of Note Station, there is no way that I would ever put information in to Note Station. Doing so would be the equivalent of "information suicide".

Mike
Last edited by daydreamer on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamer
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by daydreamer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Yes, one at a time! Sorry but your post is not very sensible!
jyboo wrote:Hi,

Notes export is available.

Regards,

edwardwong
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by edwardwong » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:01 am

I don't see how Note Station is a prison. Granted it's proprietary, but the notes, and all its data are still on your own Diskstation, not someone else's cloud. I do suppose there is some element of vendor lock-in, but then again all vendors do that to some extent, even Evernote.

Note Station can export notes out into NSX files, which are essentially zip files with embedded html (with comma separated meta data and note content) and .json configuration files. The note data is all there, I suppose Synology or some one with some coding knowledge would have to make an app that can unpackage these files into usable format like text or plain html, like the way Evernote desktop client does.

Ed

architectofideas
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by architectofideas » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:25 pm

I have actually filled out the form to request this function be added. I suggest you do too.

This has happened twice to me now, where being able to export notes would have saved me...

This morning I woke up to my DSM automatically updating to 6.0. When complete, a majority of the apps wouldn't work, as they needed to be updated to run on the new DSM. Note Station was one of them. After updating Note Station, I find my notes are not there. My Android had instances of all my PRECIOUS notes from before the update, yet the DS Note app does not allow exporting of notes...

Big big flaw.

Mike@Synology
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Mike@Synology » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:48 pm

I can't believe this ... almost 2 years later, and the issue is still unresolved?!??

Regarding Note Station not being a "prison": sure, your data is on your disk, but the information is locked away in a proprietary format that you cannot decipher in a practical manner to do with as you please. No, NS may not be a prison, but if there's a lock on your data and you don't have the key to get it out, is there a better way to describe the situation?

Granted, importing and exporting between Evernote and most other apps is not straight forward, but at least they've provided a means to get your data into a non-proprietary format. When is Synology going to do that for us?

BTW - Aside from generic NAS functionality, Synology & DSM have proven to be problematic and untrustworthy. So even if they *did* ever provide provide a true export capability (not just for backup), I've already spent WAY too much time resolving other Synology/DSM issues to warrant wasting any more time on this.

I'll check in again around 2019 to see how things have progressed ... just for the amusement value!

Mike

Maboroshy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Maboroshy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm

As edwardwong wrote, .nsx files are zip archives that contain all data in json format and all the attachments. Note data in json format can be parsed and converted to any format.

I've made Linux shell script that converts exported notes (.nsx) to markdown format with all images, attachments and tag data. You can find it here: https://github.com/Maboroshy/Note-Station-to-markdown/.

BernhardSchulze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BernhardSchulze » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello!

So far I am using Note Station only for archiving information that I may need to have mobile access.

I've got problems with the attachments. I cannot find a way to export notes including the attachments. BTW I am also looking forward to a Note Station release where I can export a complete book or "Regal" (German, I don't know the right word in the English version: collection of books ..).

The other problem is, that I cannot find a way to restore an earlier version of a single note or book that I accidentally deleted a few weeks ago. HyperBackup only provides the latest version of the complete Note Station. Did I misunderstand anything with restoring Note Station content?

Regards

Maboroshy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Maboroshy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:50 pm

My "Note Station to markdown" script is now written in Python, so it can be used on any desktop OS. It's still at https://github.com/Maboroshy/Note-Station-to-markdown/.

geodu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by geodu » Thu May 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Nsx format is definitely "open". But Evernote is not willing to welcome you if you come from sinology.
Any programmer is able to develop an app reusing your notes.
The big problem with Note Station seems to be a lack of practical backup.

natoleron
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by natoleron » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello !
I wanted to try nsx2md.py but it cannot find pandoc, even though I have set the path to the program in environment variables. I have even tried to put the script and pandoc and the .nsx file in the same folder, but this option did not work either. (Windows 64 8.1).
Any suggestion?

Maboroshy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Maboroshy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I've been absent for a while.
Could you post results for "python -V" and "pandoc -v" from the command line.

kleindiek@me.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by kleindiek@me.com » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Great Work!

Any idea to include the time stamps (creation date and modification date) in the markdown?

Maboroshy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Maboroshy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm

The original idea about the converter was a transition from using Note station to markdown. I haven't considered time stamps to be useful for such transition.
But I can do that as an option in the next release.

Return to “Note Station”