General security question before I begin

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

General security question before I begin

Unread post by JanJ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Hello. Jan here. Have had a DS215J for about a year, and have gone through setting it up as file storage on multiple PCs and iPhones via my local wireless, I’m simply Loving the flexibility it gives an iPhone.... Thanks for that wonderful app!

Software is current on DS215J

It’s this improved flexibility on the iPhone that I’m considering improving .......

At present it is set up to work at home, but it does not support outside of local LAN access.

My gateway is a Linksys RVS-4000 small business gigabit router, and the one time I looked into enabling remote access (6 mo ago) that model was not listed. All devices IVP4 and static. Final Linksys firmware ver that is good for what I use it for.
I configured router—-IPS turned off— non default PW, pings disabled, and such.

My questions:
Is there a list of what ports must be forwarded in RVS4000 to enable remote access on DS????

Second question and more important. As long as gateway and logins, PW secure, is this relatively secure??? There is nothing earth shaking or sensitive on this DS.

Thanks for suggestions. I’ll lay low!!😀

telos
Ace
Ace

Re: General security question before I begin

Unread post by telos » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:47 pm

That's covered in the KnowledgeBase. Search for "What network ports are used by Synology services?"

FWIW I would avoid EZ-Internet. It has only given me headaches.

That said the simplest solutions are QuickConnect (no forwarding required) and Synology DDNS (forwarding required).

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks. I have printed out some support docs, and found your suggested info. I’ll do some reading about quick connect. Thanks very much!

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:16 pm

:mrgreen:
So right in the middle of the printouts, in the middle of the quick connect important info........ is a cookie window—- that I didn’t see when I hit print from phone. That covers the good stuff😀😀😀😀😞😞😞😞

It’s never easygoing!!!

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:47 pm

I’ve got most of it working. Except.
When I remotely connect with either the quick connect, admin, or user(to access files on DS) I get a prompt that this is for admin connections only, and I answer OK to continue. I then get taken to desktop of DS, and nowhere do I see files I want access to! I am, however connected.
Now how do I gain access to the files??????? I do have remote access to it though, so that’s 90% of the battle!!!!!

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:55 pm

At the top of whatever I’m connected to is DSM Help

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Ok..... I Am In!
I appear to logon to home.
In order to get to files, I have to hit the “?” And then walk down to the file structure I’m after. If I do do this, and attempt to store a new favorite at that location, the next time I select it, it goes instead to home menu, and I have to hit ? And then scroll down to location I want.
Would like to go directly to file structure via a link. How to?????

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Another question...... Or suggestion. I’m not sure which.

Can or should the DS app, that puts handles in other iPhone apps to save to DS.... get to save when you are remote accessing the DS???

I’m thinking if those ‘save to DS’ handles would work both locally and remotely, that would be fantastic. TrueType machine smarter than operator!!!

I realize it’s my interpretation off how I think the program(s) should work. But it would oh so much more powerful if it did or could work this way!!!!😀😀

akahan
Distinguished
Distinguished

Unread post by akahan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Install DS File on your iPhone and use that to access files directly.

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:19 pm

It is already on iPhone but only works via local LAN connection. Do I have to configure it differently to work for both local and remote connections?

akahan
Distinguished
Distinguished

Unread post by akahan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 pm

To have it work for both, set it to connect to your WAN IP address or your domain name.
In your router, forward the appropriate port to the Synology.
If your synology is set to the defaults, you'd be forwarding port 5000.
If you're using SSL, you'd by default forward port 5001.

Alternatively, if you've set the Synology to use non-default ports, you'd set DS File to access the Synology at the non-default ports you set.

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 am

More info.
I now have share file link enabled on one folder on DS. It works to iPhone. I can download a file placed in that directory onto iPhone. Safari on iPhone did not like http auntil I made it https, by the way, sys should edit file to indicate that!

However Save to DS (handle loaded with DS app on iPhone only works on local lan. Haven’t found a way to save from iPhone to skates file link, when it is open.

I’m still confused on the quickconnect connection. I can eventually get to DS, but it takes many presses. And doesn’t remember login. It must be the quickconnect login script I’m using.
Here is what I’m typing for quickconnect and it takes me to home page:

Https://Quickconnect.to/JohnDoe

That takes me to login page, and I use the USER login & PW from DS that PC’s use to access files, and iPhone use on DS App.

At present, the ‘handles’ that the DS App in iPhone puts in other iPhone programs only works on local lan connect. Not from remote access.

JanJ
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by JanJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:26 am

More info.
I now have share file link enabled on one folder on DS. It works to iPhone. I can download a file placed in that directory onto iPhone. Safari on iPhone did not like http until I made it https, by the way, sys should edit file to indicate that!

However Save to DS (handle loaded with DS app on iPhone only works on local lan. Haven’t found a way to save from iPhone to shared file link on DS, when it is open.

I’m still confused on the quickconnect connection. I can eventually get to DS, but it takes many presses. And doesn’t remember login. It must be the quickconnect login script I’m using.
Here is what I’m typing for quickconnect and it takes me to home page:

Https://Quickconnect.to/JohnDoe
Obviously JohnDoe is not me, it’s for this post.

That takes me to login page, and I use the USER login & PW from DS that PC’s use to access files, and iPhone use on DS App.

At present, the ‘handles’ that the DS App in iPhone puts in other iPhone programs only works on local lan connect. Not from remote access.

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”