Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Discussion room for the Cloud Station clients for PC/Mac/Linux computers, designed to sync files between your different work-stations and your DiskStation
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
jinyu500
I'm New!
I'm New!

Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Unread post by jinyu500 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 am

A few days ago after I updated to recent version of Cloud Station 3.0-3004 on my mac, Finder would be very slow when viewing files. Not only the ones under synced folder, but any other files in Finder. Almost every 4-5 seconds Finder will freeze and wheel spinning for 2-3 seconds then I could have a glance of files.

I have tried cleaning cache on mac, safe mode, exit google drive, dropbox, etc. Finally I realized this must be Cloud Station Client problem. I tried disable overlay icons, but it only improved a little bit. Only when I exit CloudStation I saw Finder work smoothly. If I re-run Cloud Station Client again, the problem reproduced.

How does this happen? Is it because too much file/sizes in the syncing folder? I have ~18G in total and the biggest file size is about 800MB. Is there any way to get around it?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dujoro
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Unread post by Dujoro » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:46 am

There are a number of us experiencing the same thing. It doesn't seem to directly relate to number of files being synced since I don't have many right now (maybe a dozen or so) and my experience is exactly the same as yours. I had originally thought it had to do with CloudStation's use of network processes but not sure that's entirely it. It does keep a network connection alive even when not syncing. You can see that in activity monitor, under the network tab. It's not a high usage, but very consistent. I don't think that's the cause of the problem, just a symptom. I can say that it was not a problem in the 2577 version of the client.

It's a good idea to open a ticket on it if you haven't already!

Fixes have been coming along fairly quickly on other issues with the newest release so I'm just patiently waiting for this fix too.

SpaceCowboy5001
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by SpaceCowboy5001 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:54 pm

A few moments ago I finally found out what caused the immense finder lag, and it was cloudstation version 3. I upgraded a few days ago just like you guys, and have had a really annoying finder lag on mavericks ever since. Now when I quit Cloud station the lag is gone, as soon as i launch it again, the lag is back.

Looking through the Console, I notice that one message keeps popping up whenever the lag occurs (scrolling through documents folder or similar) the message is:

1/30/14 10:42:45.252 PM WindowServer[81]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

Either way I dont know if you guys already opened a ticket. Ill look tomorrow morning, otherwise ill do it.

I use Cloudstation every day for school + work, Since its my primary document backup I would prefer to keep it running.

rjh2805
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by rjh2805 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 am

I'm experiencing this issue as well. Any news from Synology?

jinyu500
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jinyu500 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Could you guys open a ticket or do something? I do not know how to...

Dujoro
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dujoro » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:35 pm

I have opened a ticket on this issue and am just waiting to hear back. (ID: #264535)

You can submit a support ticket by following this link: https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu

(This link is actually at the top of this page in the yellowish box with red lettering too.) :)

Dujoro
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dujoro » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Just a quick update. Heard back from Synology support that they were not able to reproduce this problem in their lab. Has anyone else opened a ticket on this? If you did, what have you heard?

I've quit trying to self diagnose it and temporarily gone back to dropbox for a few critical cloud sync files. For me, the sync was working fine but I can't accept the finder lag for daily work. I noticed that CloudStation could work OK if you are willing to pause syncing when you need to use finder and then resume it when you are done... no need to shut down the application and restart later, just pause it.

Anyhow, it looks like this is a problem for just a very small number of us. :?

heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by heddal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Dujoro wrote:Just a quick update. Heard back from Synology support that they were not able to reproduce this problem in their lab. Has anyone else opened a ticket on this? If you did, what have you heard?

I've quit trying to self diagnose it and temporarily gone back to dropbox for a few critical cloud sync files. For me, the sync was working fine but I can't accept the finder lag for daily work. I noticed that CloudStation could work OK if you are willing to pause syncing when you need to use finder and then resume it when you are done... no need to shut down the application and restart later, just pause it.

Anyhow, it looks like this is a problem for just a very small number of us. :?
The problem has been reported to support and this is a known issue as they say. See the reply on my question:
>The Cloud Station system on my macs (iMac and Macbook pro retina) all with latest software stalls the finder. When I use >the drawbar up and down finder suddenly stops and hangs for a while (10-20 sec) . Very annoying. when I pause the Cloud >Station client, all is ok. All software is updated.

The reply:
hanks for your feedback.

If you are using the Cloud Station v.3004, this is a known issue. Your report has passed to our developer and we will investigate it. If any update, we will include the related enhancement in the coming release soon.

Hope this helps.

--
Best Regards,
Adair Hsu
Technical Support
Synology Inc.

misterx95
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by misterx95 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:51 am

I spent a whole day to figure out why my Finder (Mavericks) went so slow, and I was surprised to find out that CloudStation 3 was the culprit. Just by quitting CloudStation 3, problems were solved too easily.

This seems to be a very critical issue, which needs an urgent fix.
Unless this problem is fixed, I believe nobody won't use CloudStation on Mac for the time being.
I hope to see a quick fix for this matter. Thanks.

fdw777
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by fdw777 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:04 pm

I also sent in a Ticket and the response is as follows:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Synology. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Below is a copy of your message that we've just received from you.

Problem Explanation: Cloud Station (CS) is causing Finder to freeze up when scrolling through files. If I pause CS scrolling is smooth. I have 3 Mac laptops and the same issue occurs on all three. This problem has been happening for the last several CS updates, not just the latest update (3.0-3004). Can this problem please be addressed.

I do not have an OS X Mavericks system that I can test this issue with. However I would suggest that you change the files to list view from icon view as it sounds as though Finder is chocking when attempting to create the icons for each file as you're scrolling quickly through the list.
Thank you,
Robert Whisenhunt
Synology America Corp | www.synology.com |

Depending on what the hardware specs of the computer it is causing issues on, it could simply be an issue with the power the computer has to offer.
Again, If you are not synchronizing any folders with CloudStation I would advise that you remove it from your system.
Thank you,
Robert Whisenhunt
Synology America Corp | www.synology.com |
Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2012), Macbook Air 11" and 13" (Mid 2011), Black MacBook 13" (Late 2006), Synology DS112 w/2TB WD EARX HDD, OWC Mercury Elite Classic SS USB 3.0 and 2TH WD EARX HDD, Apple 2TB Time Capsule (2012)

lebaigneur
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by lebaigneur » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi,

Same here, I have the same issues, Finder freezes for while, then is ok for some seconds then freezes again.
Running Mac OS 10.9.1, latest version on a full options macbook air 11" from last year (8GB of RAM and SSD).

In the console, I have some entries for sinology
05/02/14 14:08:01,432 Synology Cloud Station[1502]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Arial" and got font with PostScript name "ArialMT". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
05/02/14 14:08:01,432 Synology Cloud Station[1502]: CoreText performance note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSuboptimalRequest to debug.
05/02/14 14:08:01,435 Synology Cloud Station[1502]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Arial" and got font with PostScript name "ArialMT". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
05/02/14 14:31:43,133 Synology Cloud Station[1502]: CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name "Arial" and got font with PostScript name "ArialMT". For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.

And the finder issues
05/02/14 14:24:52,552 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 14.14 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
05/02/14 14:25:14,556 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
05/02/14 14:25:17,565 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 4.01 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
05/02/14 14:25:55,581 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
05/02/14 14:26:09,581 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "Finder" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call.
05/02/14 14:26:17,739 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 23.16 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
05/02/14 14:26:21,671 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
05/02/14 14:26:35,671 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "Finder" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call.
05/02/14 14:26:45,827 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 25.16 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
05/02/14 14:26:57,758 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
05/02/14 14:27:02,878 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 6.12 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
05/02/14 14:27:08,859 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
05/02/14 14:27:12,960 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 5.10 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
05/02/14 14:28:32,113 WindowServer[130]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
05/02/14 14:28:33,126 WindowServer[130]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 2.01 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Thanks,

Julien

Dujoro
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dujoro » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

That was an interesting response to your submission fdw777.

I also noticed that switching to list view helps to some degree, as stated in response 1.

As for response 2.... hmmmm, that is a disappointing one! If it comes off one, it needs to come off all. Otherwise, what's the point? It is also interesting that they don't have a Mavericks test bed.

Sadly, I'm inclined to believe that in a mixed Windows/Apple/Linux/Android environment, CloudStation is not a viable solution at this point. It really is too bad... such potential!

Sigh...

susanjones
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by susanjones » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm

For what it's worth - I also have the slow Finder problem. I submitted a report ticket with an attached console log extract showing the WindowServer slow down when Cloud Station is running. I got this back:

---
"Thank you for your information.

We'll try to reproduce this issue in our lab and pass our finding to the development team.

We also would like you to give DSM5.0 Beta a try when available. So far we've not received any critical reports so its quite stable."
---

With respect to it potentially being an issue with hardware - I really don't think that is the case. I have a ds1512 and a brand new mac pro (6 core 16 gig ram d500 gfx & SSD) and it's happening to me and wasn't with the old version of Cloud Station. They have a regression error here.

Bobk88
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bobk88 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm having the slow Finder problem too. One of the most annoying symptoms is getting the beach ball when scrolling through a long list of files in a folder (in column view).

Edit: Note that this issue and the others described below occur when viewing files on my Mac Pro's internal drives, not just files on the DS212j.

If I turn off Cloud Station, no more beach ball.

If I then turn Cloud Station back on and scroll through the same folder, I get the beach ball.

Before identifying Cloud Station as the source of the problem, I did tests and maintenance using Tech Tool Pro 7 and Onyx, removed some startup items, and booted the Mac into Safe Mode. Hardware appears to be fine, and I have a healthy amount of RAM. (The only other application running aside from the Finder is Text Expander.)

Had the problem when running the latest DSM 4.3, and it remained after installing the latest DSM 5 beta (5.0-4418 Update 1) yesterday.

Opened a support ticket.

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26GHz (2009, 'Nehalem')
16 GB RAM
OS 10.8.5.
DS 212j with 2x Western Digital Red 2TB drives
DSM 5.0-4418 Update 1
All packages up-to-date as of this writing
Cloud Station.app version 3.0-3005
Last edited by Bobk88 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

lebaigneur
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by lebaigneur » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Cloud Station v.3005 is out, I had to manually download and upgrade (since it didn't upgrade automatically yet, not sure why) but it looks promising/much better when it comes to our issue.
Not crying victory yet but I haven't seen the dreaded windowserver console entries since I upgraded 3 hours ago and the Finder is a lot better.

Maybe give it a try guys.
http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/download

Julien

Return to “Cloud Station Drive”