Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Discussion room for the Cloud Station clients for PC/Mac/Linux computers, designed to sync files between your different work-stations and your DiskStation
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
yegor
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Unread post by yegor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:20 pm

I have the same problem on my Mac Pro. Thank God I found a post on Apple discussions, a member mentioning to turn off the Cloud Station, as I thought it's my Fusion drive and already was planning to get rid of it, then I came across this thread. I can confirm that quitting the Cloud Station solves the freezing/unresponsive Finder problem.

Bobk88
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bobk88 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:38 am

I submitted a ticket to Synology support last week. They replied 3 days ago saying that this is a known issue and they're working on it.
Bob

illusioni
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by illusioni » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 am

I'm not on Mavericks, and I'm experiencing the same issues.
Finder freezes (for way more than just a few seconds sometimes) when browsing directories (local or remote, disk station or not, cloud station managed or not).

My machine isn't of the old/slow kind either:
Mac OS 10.7.5
2.4GHz i7 (4 cores)
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
SSD system disk

Can I add information to your tickets at Synology?
Are they public - if so, can you please share the URL?

guitarnono
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by guitarnono » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 am

Same here, on a 2013 imac freeshly buyed. I obtain random freeze up to 20seconds.
As soon as I disable the cloudstation, the probleme disappears.

Bobk88
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bobk88 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:19 pm

illusioni wrote:Can I add information to your tickets at Synology?
Are they public - if so, can you please share the URL?
No, they're not public. Although they said this is a known issue, it's still probably advisable to submit your own ticket.
Bob

icerabbit
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by icerabbit » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:45 pm

I have seen severe slow downs in Mavericks when a program brings up a dialog box to open documents. It will hang for 10 secs. Despite a fast SSD and the same folder in the Finder opening in split second.

But this was with cloud station 1.whatver.

Now that I updated to Cloudstation 3005 I have another problem: "status abnormal".

I really hadn't used cloud station much in the past. Only tiny trials. Upgrading to mavericks the icon and app became transparent. Figured I had to update CloudStation. Downloaded 3005. Says successful. Now it restarted itself. Blue icon in the menu bar. Green V ... Cloudstation running. Then Red exclamation ... Status Abnormal.

Why, I don't know ... and how to fix it?

... Is it really that hard for Synology to at least explain an error code?

rickykung
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rickykung » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Same here.

Is the problem only appear in SSD machines?
I am not sure but it seems that the slow down problem does not happen in my HDD machines.

rickykung
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rickykung » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:56 pm

LOL!! how can they replying to the customers like this.

Mavericks is free and they should test it on the latest operating system.
fdw777 wrote:I also sent in a Ticket and the response is as follows:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Synology. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Below is a copy of your message that we've just received from you.

Problem Explanation: Cloud Station (CS) is causing Finder to freeze up when scrolling through files. If I pause CS scrolling is smooth. I have 3 Mac laptops and the same issue occurs on all three. This problem has been happening for the last several CS updates, not just the latest update (3.0-3004). Can this problem please be addressed.

I do not have an OS X Mavericks system that I can test this issue with. However I would suggest that you change the files to list view from icon view as it sounds as though Finder is chocking when attempting to create the icons for each file as you're scrolling quickly through the list.
Thank you,
Robert Whisenhunt
Synology America Corp | http://www.synology.com |

Depending on what the hardware specs of the computer it is causing issues on, it could simply be an issue with the power the computer has to offer.
Again, If you are not synchronizing any folders with CloudStation I would advise that you remove it from your system.
Thank you,
Robert Whisenhunt
Synology America Corp | http://www.synology.com |

CloudMan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by CloudMan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:22 pm

It really seems to me that Synolgy is facing a -more or less- huge problem in that case.

I also opened a ticket on the support site four days ago - no response until today.

It's becoming ridiculous ... ... especially when Synology support publishes answers like the above.

Dowgold
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dowgold » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Breezing through this post, I cannot believe Synology answer to this problem by putting the blame on users systems.

Not knowing, I opened a ticket a while ago (before reading this post), stating that I had issues with the last update, ESPECIALLY with a constant clicking on my system. The answer I got was that I had to change my hard drive. Little that I knew, and even though my hard drive verify did not show any problem, I did... Guess what synology, SAME PROBLEM. Clicking is still there, on my iMac with a new hard drive. Furthermore, one of our laptop, a MBP core 5 is now showing a hard drive problem!!! I keep on repairing it while pausing cloud station, and Disk Utility is telling me that is now fine. After resuming could station after the fix, I ran another disk verify, and guess what, the problem is there again!!!! Coincidence? Maybe, but hard to believe.

In the meantime, out of our three Macs, one iMac (now with a new HDD), 2 MBP running Mavericks, we have the same issues as stated above.

Also, anyone also hearing noise coming from the HDD while cloud station is on? It does stop once paused. I do hear this "clicking" type noise on all of our systems when cloud station is on, so I doubt that I would be the only one. I did open a ticket AGAIN for it.

This thus far cost me over $500 in unnecessary upgrades i.e. hard drive and RAM.

PLEASE, PLEASE, fix this issue.

Dowgold
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dowgold » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 am

Quick update. After opening a ticket, I realize that these people in support are not paying attention to what we are telling them.

Response from tech support: "It is normal for hard drives to make such noises when many small transactions are taking place. This is not damaging in anyway. If the hard drives are failing in your macs then you need to replace them. You can also run manufacturer diagnostic tools (such as SMART) to check on the health of your drives to ensure that they are working properly.

Leo O."

I did go in length to tell them that I already change a HDD to a new one. I went as far as recording the noise and sending it to them when cloud station in on and another recording then cloud station is paused!

Not to mentioned the slowness of the finder and file opening. I wish someone would actually read what we send instead of sending "canned/lazy/easy/inaccurate" answer to take the easy way out.

Synology, THERE IS A PROBLEM, IF YOU WOULD JUST LISTEN TO US!!!!!

Bobk88
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bobk88 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:33 am

Dowgold wrote:After opening a ticket, I realize that these people in support are not paying attention to what we are telling them.
For what it's worth, I've found that with most tech support - and in fact with just about any type of customer service in any area - it's hit-and-miss. Sometimes you get people who are really on top of things; most time you don't.

Sometimes you just have to persist and explain the problem again, or politely ask them to re-read the initial message because they seem to have missed the point.
Bob

CloudMan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by CloudMan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:06 am

Hi Dowgold

YES! I also hear that rhythmic "click-sound" out of my iMac as far as Cloudstation is running. After pausing CS - nor more click.

Maybe we should go and buy some more HDDs? :wink:

As I already stated - This is becoming more and more ridiculous and everything else, but not professional ...

Each update offers some new surprises and forces the user to invest time and to act as a test-person for Synology.

Other peoples get paid for this in their jobs ...

Dowgold wrote:Hello everyone,

Breezing through this post, I cannot believe Synology answer to this problem by putting the blame on users systems.

Not knowing, I opened a ticket a while ago (before reading this post), stating that I had issues with the last update, ESPECIALLY with a constant clicking on my system. The answer I got was that I had to change my hard drive. Little that I knew, and even though my hard drive verify did not show any problem, I did... Guess what synology, SAME PROBLEM. Clicking is still there, on my iMac with a new hard drive. Furthermore, one of our laptop, a MBP core 5 is now showing a hard drive problem!!! I keep on repairing it while pausing cloud station, and Disk Utility is telling me that is now fine. After resuming could station after the fix, I ran another disk verify, and guess what, the problem is there again!!!! Coincidence? Maybe, but hard to believe.

In the meantime, out of our three Macs, one iMac (now with a new HDD), 2 MBP running Mavericks, we have the same issues as stated above.

Also, anyone also hearing noise coming from the HDD while cloud station is on? It does stop once paused. I do hear this "clicking" type noise on all of our systems when cloud station is on, so I doubt that I would be the only one. I did open a ticket AGAIN for it.

This thus far cost me over $500 in unnecessary upgrades i.e. hard drive and RAM.

PLEASE, PLEASE, fix this issue.

CloudMan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by CloudMan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 am

Dear forum-members

Since I am -politely said- not very happy with the actual situation and I do not expect a quick support from Synology I would like to downgrade Cloudstation to .2577 - which worked fine and without any problems for me.

Is there anybody who already downgraded? Is this possible? If yes, which steps do I have to consider?

I already asked Synology support -twice- for this - but no response ...

Thank's in advance for your feedback!

CloudMan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by CloudMan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 am

@ Dowgold

Take a look here - we are not alone ...

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 94&t=80332

Dowgold wrote:Quick update. After opening a ticket, I realize that these people in support are not paying attention to what we are telling them.

Response from tech support: "It is normal for hard drives to make such noises when many small transactions are taking place. This is not damaging in anyway. If the hard drives are failing in your macs then you need to replace them. You can also run manufacturer diagnostic tools (such as SMART) to check on the health of your drives to ensure that they are working properly.

Leo O."

I did go in length to tell them that I already change a HDD to a new one. I went as far as recording the noise and sending it to them when cloud station in on and another recording then cloud station is paused!

Not to mentioned the slowness of the finder and file opening. I wish someone would actually read what we send instead of sending "canned/lazy/easy/inaccurate" answer to take the easy way out.

Synology, THERE IS A PROBLEM, IF YOU WOULD JUST LISTEN TO US!!!!!

Return to “Cloud Station Drive”