Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Discussion room for the Cloud Station clients for PC/Mac/Linux computers, designed to sync files between your different work-stations and your DiskStation
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Postby heddal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:35 pm

I just downloaded and installed the 3005 version but it is just the same problem. I pause the client to get rid of the problems and restarts to sync when needed. This is still very annoying.
Bobk88
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Bobk88 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54 pm

3005 was released about a week ago, and does not resolve the slow Finder issues on my system (described in my earlier post in this thread).
Last edited by Bobk88 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
fdw777
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fdw777 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Listen up Synology Team :mrgreen:

There is an issue with Cloud Station client causing a Finder freeze issue. I even have an issue with Disk Utility opening very slowly. If you don't have a Mavericks system to test this issue I suggest you get up to date and get it.....it's FREE, :idea:
Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2012), Macbook Air 11" and 13" (Mid 2011), Black MacBook 13" (Late 2006), Synology DS112 w/2TB WD EARX HDD, OWC Mercury Elite Classic SS USB 3.0 and 2TH WD EARX HDD, Apple 2TB Time Capsule (2012)
Jochemh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jochemh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 pm

I've downloaded V3.0-3005 but the problem remains on both my iMac 27" and Macbook Pro Retina. Both systems are running OS X 10.9.1.
When I close Cloudstation or pause, the problem is solved. As soon as I cloud station again, the problem is back...

Hoping for a quick solution....

Jochem
jacek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jacek » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I can confirm. It works badly now. I have tried 3 different machines. When there is few files it is quite all right, however when there is many files it is not workable.
susanjones
Trainee
Trainee

Postby susanjones » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Might I suggest that everyone having this issue file a bug report so support can see it's a wide spread issue? I'm not sure quite how much attention they pay to the forums.

Just a thought ;)
fdw777
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fdw777 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 am

Already did.....they don't have a Mavericks system to test the problem. Who would have thunk-it?
Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2012), Macbook Air 11" and 13" (Mid 2011), Black MacBook 13" (Late 2006), Synology DS112 w/2TB WD EARX HDD, OWC Mercury Elite Classic SS USB 3.0 and 2TH WD EARX HDD, Apple 2TB Time Capsule (2012)
jacek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jacek » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:54 am

Is it possible to roll back DSM update? I'd prefer old stable version instead of this.
Dujoro
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Dujoro » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 pm

It is possible to roll back CloudStation but it has to be done on EVERY device you are using (DiskStation, Windows, Android, Mac, iPhone, Linux.)

The last stable versions that I found were:
DiskStation - 2.1-2577
Windows, Mac need to be on the 2577 version as well, look for 2577 in the install files.
Android - 1.4.1-081

Note: I tried to back rev the apps and it went pretty smooth on the DiskStation, windows and Android devices but the Mac gave me fits using the original share locations, even after a COMPLETE uninstall and cleanup. In the end I abandoned it and uninstalled it on everything for now. My need for the sync is mission critical to my work so I had no choice but to move over to some of the other alternatives available to us, at least for now. I will keep playing around with it when I have a chance but it will be more of an experimental implementation until it is clear the whole process is rock solid.
fdw777
Rookie
Rookie

Postby fdw777 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Could it be possible that in Mavericks SMB2 is at fault....just saying.
briankilpat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby briankilpat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 pm

New to the forum and having the same problem. Imac with latest version of Mavericks.

Trying to lasso a number of file icons in any folder on the Mac results in the finder hanging anywhere from a second or two to 10 seconds of so. Dragging the files to another folder will also cause a hang. It has this problem on my machine no matter where the files and folders are. Internal or external volumes.

Turning off Cloud Station 3005 fixes the problem. I tried emptying the cloud station folder on the Synology and my Mac with no improvement so I suspect a software problem rather than network as it should not be trying to access the network volume if there are no files on it.

It seems that the temporary solution is to disable Cloud Station except when you need it. This option does not work for most people as they use it to store files on an automated basis.

Hope the Synology developers can fix it, I did not notice this before the latest update.
kenrick
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby kenrick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 am

I confirmed this issue. File listing in Finder will freeze for seconds in all drives every time I scrolled. As soon as pause CloudStation, everything back to normal. Synology, please fix this issue.
trotz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby trotz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Same here.

I was going crazy thinking that my macpro late 2013 had performance issues until I tried in other computers and finally spotted this problem to be soundcloud's fault.

I will issue a ticket as well.
jacek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jacek » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 pm

fdw777 wrote:Could it be possible that in Mavericks SMB2 is at fault....just saying.

It is not mavericks. I was working on Snow and upgraded system due to this freezes. Found out in a hard way that mavericks is not free from it...
rdanamcd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rdanamcd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Version 3.0-3005 doesn't fix the problem.

I updated Cloud Station last night unaware of this issue. 3 of my users this morning complained of "Beach Ball" when using the Finder. Inconsistent when it happens but opening and closing folders for about a minute or 2 will reproduce it.

All three are iMac's i5's with Snow Leopard. Just told them to "Pause" it until a fix is released.

Dana

Return to “Cloud Station Drive”