Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Discussion room for the Cloud Station clients for PC/Mac/Linux computers, designed to sync files between your different work-stations and your DiskStation
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Dowgold
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Unread post by Dowgold » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:21 pm

@cloudman

Thank you cloudman. I did submit a post there as well. Needless to say that I am completely frustrated with the problems and the lack of acknowledgment from Synology.

fatboyw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by fatboyw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am

I am having the same issue on OS X Mavericks (10.9.1). I raised a ticket and got the following reply:
Dear customer,

Sorry for the late response.

Did you install Dropbox on your Mac? If yes, our developers have identifies the problem was caused by Dropbox.
Please try to uninstall "Dropbox" and reboot your Mac, then see if the problem continues.

You can find the links below, there are many users experiencing same issues.
As long as there is 2nd sync software is installed on your Mac, the "Dropbox" might cause the Finder CPU 100% or unresponsive.

Dropbox Finder CPU 100% :
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=45082&replies=32
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/ind ... 21477.html

Dropbox crashes Finder 100% of the time in 10.7.3:
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=53336&replies=11

Google Drive for Mac causes the Finder to crash for some people:
https://plus.google.com/118443572113195 ... qwZdK7DV1Q
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... jcMEMcCt8J
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... PuzhVwlb8A
http://9to5google.com/2012/04/24/some-u ... ng-finder/

Surgar sync High CPU usage on Mac OS X
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=40458
http://sugarsync.hivelive.com/posts/9097ac056b

The sed command was missing '/g' at the end of the regular expression.
Could you please give me more hints about this? Since I can perform the command I gave you without a problem.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you again.

Sincerely,
<NAME REMOVED>
Tech Support Engineer
Synology Inc.
I question how much troubleshooting Synology does before replying. Also, they don't seem to research any internal system or even this forum. The links this engineer provided are either irrelevant or way too old (like 2 years).

It is convenient to blame the other stuff.

I uninstall dropbox, reboot my mac and tried again. To no surprise the problem is still there.

I have to say that although I am impressed with the product, support is really not up to the standard I expect.

CloudMan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by CloudMan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:35 am

Nice!

This is a 1:1 duplicate of the answer they sent to me.

Seems like a serial letter.

I think that support and developers are dumpling somewhere in the middle of nowhere, trying to win time searching for a lucky-punch-solution.

Lets's hope that they do not kick-off some other "features" then ...

I am more than disappointed.

guitarnono
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by guitarnono » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:09 pm

I changed my mac one week ago. The problem already occured on my previous one, but I thought it was due to the SSD, or the old mac OS installation (successive Mac OS updates often cause side effects).
Cloudstation was the first software I installed after firefox... and it quickly caused the same problems.

Dowgold
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dowgold » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:40 pm

After multiple emails, here is what I received today from Synology. I will have to say that the Rep was helpful.

"We have contacted our engineers and they are aware of a known issue with the Cloud Station Client (3004 and 3005) causing Mac Finder to hang and have responsiveness issues with certain versions of Mac OS, including Mavericks. While there is currently no time table for when this will be fixed and ready for release, they have told us that it will be included in the next upcoming Cloud Station Client release. As this issue is suspected to be related with concurrent AFP connections particularly when using Mavericks, for now it is suggested that you unmount any AFP connection to the DiskStation in Finder and reconnect with the SMB protocol as described here. You will want to have DSM > Control Panel > Win/Mac/NFS > Windows File Service enabled and also SMB 2 and Large MTU on that same screen."

Hope this help and really hope they will get the fix as soon as possible. This is really the first time they acknowledge that there is an issue without pushing the blame on someone else.... Finally.

PS: Although I appreciate the work around, I am not comfortable doing the change mentioned above and have to worry about it once they make the update. If anyone is doing it, please let us know how it works.

heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by heddal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Hello!
To the last suggestion taking away afp: NO CHANGE AT ALL.

fatboyw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by fatboyw » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 am

I cannot take away AFP as I use Time Machine to back up to NAS. Time Machine on OS X Mavericks (and also Mountain Lion) only works with AFP.

OS X Mavericks: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14168
OS X Mountain Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11171

BobbySWE
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BobbySWE » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 am

I have Synology CloudStation client (latest version) running on 6 Mac machines of various hardware config and most running OSX 10.9.1. As soon as I pause syncing finder behaves as it should, and start syncing again, finder starts to "hang" and scrolling in any finder window is slow and buggy. I don't think there is any doubt that the problem is related to CloudStation.

Very annoying since I recently moved most of our stuff from Google and Dropbox to Synology. Other than this problem that I hope is solved swiftly we are very satisfied with the product :)

Cheers,

bcondemi
Student
Student

Unread post by bcondemi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 pm

I'm syncing media to a remote server using cloud station and have had to stop CS during the day so I may use my mac normally. I turn on CS at night before I go to bed.
It's my own workaround but its the only thing i can do at the moment. If i could figure out how to automatically (with some timer/scheduler perhaps) run CS at night and Off during the day?

BC

blabberlicious
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by blabberlicious » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 am

Brings my finder to a beach ball standstill every time. Horrible bug!

Specifically, if you are in Column view.

Please address this a.s.a.p.

mrmrw
Novice
Novice

Unread post by mrmrw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:42 pm

This will never be fixed.

I contact support and they ask for all sorts of nonsense.

They asked for logs from my actual DiskStation recently too - its nothing to do with that anyway, you can have no internet connection and have the CloudStation client running and it still freezes - its not the DiskStation hardware/software, its the [Please control your language] Mac client.

• The Mac CS client hangs Finder
• It messes up apps like iWork causing the app to complain the file was modified by another application even when no such changes should have been made
• It ticks hard drives non stop once a second preventing spin down

All in all... its [Please control your language].

DSM 4.3 broke USB3 support for 713+'s absolutely ages ago and thats still not been fixed. I doubt it ever will be fixed. I doubt these issues will ever be fixed either. I also doubt they will ever fix that VPN server requires a re-enable after a device restart, or that SSD trim is not available with Time Backup, or that Encryption is not available with Time Backup, or that Network Backup has to use dumb-ass port 22 without having the option to use something more subtle.... why? Because they never listen.

mrmrw
Novice
Novice

Unread post by mrmrw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:46 pm

I have never installed DropBox on my Mac either so it isn't that.

But I know one thing for sure... people who do install DropBox and not CloudStation don't have to deal with such rubbish.

I prey and hope Apple sort out OSX Server so I can switch to that ASAP. Sad reality is that even though OSX Server is famous for being buggy, is Synology really any less buggy these days?

shewhorn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by shewhorn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm writing a review that specifically focuses on Cloud Station as a potential solution for a problem a lot of photographers face... the need to have access to the same image files (many of which are 100+ megabytes in size and they're dealing with thousands of them per week) on multiple machines. As someone who used to be a software engineer, and also as someone who used to be a software quality assurance manager I have to say I find some of the responses people are posting from Synology to be very disappointing. It's indicative of a management problem. That said, not all of the responses are necessarily bad. Some do rightfully acknowledge the issue (which is what all responses should be doing). Perhaps they have a bad apple in support (ummm... no pun intended)?

shewhorn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by shewhorn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:37 pm

"I have to say I find some of the responses people are posting from Synology to be very disappointing"

For clarity, I find Synology's responses to be disappointing. :) When I reread that I realized it might be taken the wrong way.

Return to “Cloud Station Drive”