CMS can not connect, but with browser I can

Discussion room for the Central Management System package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
gpglang
Student
Student

Postby gpglang » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Looking into CMS, I started with the local systems; no issues there.
Then I wanted to add a remote NAS. It does not work with IP, nor with FQDN and not with QuickConnect.
Fun part is using my browser I can connect to these machines with IP, FQDN or QuickConnect..
Anybody suggestions?
-----------------------------------
411+; 4xHD103SJ (SHR)
412+; 2x4Tb (R1), SSD (DSM logs and cache), 1TB (AV), 8Tb USB Archive
216+II / 716+II -- 2xyTb in SHR (several and all in management with CMS)
RT1900ac
tocatax
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: CMS can not connect, but with browser I can

Postby tocatax » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi Gpglang,

Same problem here with more than 20 remote units tested. Same problem for a lot of people it seems...

Synology support - i opened a ticket - is searching for a solution since months...

Very disappointing... : (
jjb2
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby jjb2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Hate to mention this but - CMS has never really worked in the scenario where you had units located in remote locations. It will add them (sometimes) but then will show them down, etc. In any situation where the network is building/campus/location wide and most ports are open it works fine. I was able to get it working perfectly remote wise using a VPN connection in router to router scenario and leaving all ports open. It was very happy with that.
RS810+ RS810RP+ RS812+ RS812RP+ RS814+ RS814RP+ RS815+ RS815RP+ RS2212+ RS2212RP+ RS2416+ RS2416+ RS3614XS RS3614RPXS RS3617XS RS3617XS+ RS4017XS+, | DSM4 DSM5, DSM6 | Raid 1, Raid 5, Raid 6, Raid 10, Raid 50 | CMS, HA, HYPER Backup, iScsi, Mail Server, Mail Station, SSD, VPN, Web Hosting | Petabytes of storage with 2TB, 3TB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB, 10TB disks | RT1900ac, RT2600ac |
gpglang
Student
Student

Postby gpglang » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:30 pm

On advise of Synology, I tried it several time but using ddns. And after three or four times it did connect!
I tried another one, first with quickconnect: failed always (but does create CMS user and adds CMS in Control)
Then using DDNS.. worked...
411+; 4xHD103SJ (SHR)
RT1900ac
gpglang
Student
Student

Postby gpglang » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Adding more and more systems is running fine. Central DSM updates (6.1U2) running fine, packages updates running fine.
But there also hickups:

- LOG at first looks good. But when working with CMS, logging could be extended with "some" details
--- It shows you how many warnings and errors you have. But you have to use "filter" to see them
--- General error in the log is a very specific issue. Why not write the specific issue to the log? (Photo station also need PHP7 and dependent packages are not automatic with CMS)
--- I seem not to be able to get the Policies working. But there is also no line at all on the policies in the log. So, how to troubleshoot?

- Policies
--- looked at the settings. i do not understand why the order and setup is different from Control panel. Should be the same
--- Even with these policies settings, there is still a lot to do manually. It helps, but is far from ready
--- Looks very intuitive, but I do not get it to work (yet)

Oh, after 6.1U2 I "by accident' tried to add a server using quickconnect, and it work instantly... bug fixed?
Still learning here but starting to get the hang of it.
411+; 4xHD103SJ (SHR)
RT1900ac
powloo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby powloo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 pm

I also cannot get CMS to connect properly to a remote Synology server. My remote server is at another site via a VPN, from which the CMS server and other hosts in the network can route to and reach. I can contact the remote synology server via browser fine, and other services such as Hyperbackup work well.

However, when I try CMS it can't connect. What is really strange is that while it's trying to connect, on my firewall I see inbound requests to the Synology management ports, trying to connect to my public IP address; which is rightly being dropped by my firewall. It's as if the remote synology server is trying to connect back to the CMS server running on my local synology, using the public IP address of my synology (which I have no idea how it got, considering the two synology servers are communicating using private IP addresses on an internally routed network).
gpglang
Student
Student

Postby gpglang » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

[quote="powloo"]I also cannot get CMS to connect properly to a remote Synology server. ...ernally routed network).[/quote]
Not sure if this leads somewhere, but these Q's came up my mind:
When you use Synology Assistant, are all NAS found?
When you add a new server in CMS, you used "add servers from local network", are all NAS found?
You NAS do not have a Synology account defined, nor a QuickConnectID nor a FQDN/DDNS?
411+; 4xHD103SJ (SHR)
RT1900ac
vater
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vater » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Thats the perfect description for the behavior I'm facing.

There is no issue managing a local ds216play with CMS installed on a 2414+.

But It does not work with a remote 1815+ through IP, nor with FQDN and not with QuickConnect.

And yes, using my browser I can connect to the 1815+ with IP, FQDN or QuickConnect.

Log entry on the remote 1815+

Code: Select all

Connection User [admin] logged in from [my public IP] via [DSM]

And yes, the user "SynologyCMS" was created on the remote 1815+.

But no, the CMS icon wasn't created in Control.

I rebooted the 1815+ just to be sure..

Any Ideas?

Vater
gpglang
Student
Student

Postby gpglang » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:12 am

Where I went wrong was:
- CMS and DS local: define the relation with QuickConnect
- Transport the DS to remote location
- thinking it was working... (how was I thinking QuickConnect would be intelligent...)

What I do since then:
- CMS and DS local: define relation with DS for initial configuration and putting common shares/files on it
- remove relation and transport DS to remote location
- CMS: define relation with remote DS.
Support added to that to use DDNS but I experience in one site DDNS is working and in other I have to use QuickConnect.
Since then, it is more stable.
Is this helping?

I have bombed the official feature request of Synology. CMS has great potential, but is not there (yet?)
411+; 4xHD103SJ (SHR)
RT1900ac
Pestus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Pestus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:52 am

Hello all,

I had similar issues trying to get CMS working between my main NAS and a remote NAS at another site. Likewise, as mentioned, I could view the remote NAS https on port 5001, as I had the port forward rule done correctly. What solved it for me was doing the port forward rule the other way as well. Port forwarding 5001 to my main NAS on my main network. Seems CMS uses HTTP(s) for both communications. It isn't just a standard TCP socket negotiation as a client/server relationship. Really odd if you ask me, but I have no other explanation.

I don't like this solution. It leaves too many doors open. Block lists being what they are in Synology, that's one thing.. but I am thankful for Ubiquiti's networking products. You can do port forwards with whitelists, making me feel a little better opening web ports like this.
gpglang
Student
Student

Postby gpglang » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:19 pm

Recently I learned that after the DMS 6.2 release there might be an upgrade for CMS on our hands... finally... I think CMS has the lowest grade on development in the past year... So, lets hope for the best.
411+; 4xHD103SJ (SHR)
RT1900ac
nuag
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nuag » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Same here.
Synologys on the local network can be managed without problems. But adding them over the internet (NAT) or QuickID they lose the connection every few seconds.
I am not sure, but i think this worked some time ago - but then i had the problem that i couldn't add different Synology behind the same network with NAT because they were using the same FQDN (but of course a different Port and NAT-rule...)
nuag
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nuag » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am

Finally could "fix" this issue and already added about 20 CMS-Clients to my server.
What I did:

1. You HAVE TO use quickconnect enabled on your CMS-Server
2. Browse with $CMS-SERVER.quickconnecto.to into your management server and log in
3. Enable QuickConnect on your CMS-Client
4. In other Browser-Tab login with $CMS-CLIENT.quickconnecto.to into your Client
5. Switch to your CMS-Server Tab and add the CMS-Client with it's QuickConnectID
6. It can take up to 10mins till the connection is there. As soon as the Public IP in the "Hostname"-field changes to the real CMS-Client Hostname, you're done.
(7.) Sometimes the process could be accelerated when you connect and login again to $CMS-CLIENT.quickconnecto.to - but this could be a placebo effect.

Return to “Central Management System (CMS)”