No DNS Logs

Discussion room for DNS server package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
rlyons20
I'm New!
I'm New!

No DNS Logs

Postby rlyons20 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:22 pm

I have the DNS server installed, configured, and tested good from a client.

Unfortunately, I want to see the DNS resolution logs, and when I go to that tab nothing is there, even when I crank it up to "info"!
RX-TX
Trainee
Trainee

Re: No DNS Logs

Postby RX-TX » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 pm

I got the exact same problem! I noticed that I see the logs for a short time if I restart the DNS Server. Do you see the Logs when you restart the DNS Server?
-Robbie-
Trainee
Trainee

Postby -Robbie- » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 am

Same here. I have a suspicion that DNS & Proxy Server have been quietly dropped or at least left to wither on the vine.
Synology DS1517+ | 16GB | SHR/Btrfs | 2-port ALB | 2x3TB + 2x4TB WD Red | 120GB SSD Cache | No PCIe
Supported by: EdgeRouter 8 | EdgeSwitch 24 |
Ben Diss
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Ben Diss » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:51 pm

This is a bug. I have the same thing and opened a ticket. After several levels of techs remoting in to my NAS, they confirmed the bug. A workaround that seems to clear it for me is to enable IPv6 and then disable it. This triggers a DNS reset and the log shows up again.

Know that the logging is pretty basic and doesn't actually show the DNS response. When I needed to debug a problem I installed wireshark to see the actual traffic.
narkhelek
Trainee
Trainee

Postby narkhelek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:38 am

Logging is working for me. You'll need to set the logging level to info. Then do a search for anything. It some times shows no logs when I first click on logs until I search for something then the logs will show up. What's dumb is that there doesn't appear to be an option to get the DNS to log to the logging console. What's the point of having a centralized logging app if other apps like DNS won't make use of it.
pgreslin
Novice
Novice

Postby pgreslin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am

Same for me.
I Just performed a Stop/Run in Package Center and the logs came back.
DS415+, 8GB Ram, 4 x WD40EFRX (btrfs, Raid 5)

Return to “DNS Server”