DNS Setup confusion....

Discussion room for DNS server package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
IdahoTech
I'm New!
I'm New!

DNS Setup confusion....

Unread post by IdahoTech » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a Synology DS1815+ with DSM 6.1.2-15152 Update 6 version.

I first have to say I love my Synology we have here at work. After showing my boss what I could do with it at home we got one here for backup and other misc. things on our network.

However I have not had the time or a problem with our current DNS Setup, until we had a power outage and after some time I had to boot the VM system or DHCP was running on as well as the system that is now oh I say 13 years old that our DNS is running on and it worried me.

I have looked all over for documentation and it is sporadic at best. I am a jack of all here and touch on things when they need fixing, replacing etc.

I had always known Synology systems had DNS , but never gave it a second thought until our power outage and people were having issues in the schools connecting because this happened on a weekend and was longer than what out Power Unit could handle. (Like 5 hours or more)

So my questions are simple I hope:

1. Should I stay on Windows server DNS and just move it to a VM? Or would it be a good option to move it to the Synology?
2. Can it handle a small school network for DNS ? say 3500 machines/devices etc?
3. What would be the conversion to the Syn from Win? Like I had stated before I find documentation all over, however the layout and setup of the Synology is definitely different than the way it is done on my Win2003 Server.

Just need a way to go on doing this with say a simple explanation on what my DNS setup translates to on the Synology. I would like to get it running and no 'hick-ups' stopping it from running properly. If someone could help that would be great also. I can take a screen shot of my setup if need and if someone could look at it and just pen a little description of what on that screen translates to the Synology setup. I would post it here, but just a little paranoid here.

One of the biggest road blocks for me is the setup of the Master Zone and the SOA.

Please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I know this is a lot to ask but hoping someone who uses it in say a school like me can help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully can help me get this setup. I think it would be a great benefit to us to have this running and I can remove the old server without issue.

Return to “DNS Server”