Use DNS of OpenVPN server

Discussion room for DNS server package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
vrugaitis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Use DNS of OpenVPN server

Unread post by vrugaitis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Hello,

I have a Synology DS 716+ with following settings.
  • Connected with eth0 to my ISP's router - 192.168.0.x range
  • Connected with eth1 to LAN - 192.168.1.x range
  • Acts as a DHCP Server for eth1 (LAN)
  • Routes between both interfaces, such that the LAN devices have an internet connection etc.
  • Acts as a DNS Server for eth1 (LAN).
  • Connected to a OpenVPN Server on the 10.0.2.x range
  • Static route from the 192.168.1.x to the 10.0.2.x range, such that clients on the LAN can access the services and devices on the OpenVPN network
What I want to achieve is, that the LAN clients (192.168.1.x range) can use the OpenVPN's DNS Server for domain lookups. This way I can use the foreign server DNS entries and I do not have to replicate (copy) them manually on the Synology's DNS Server. The problem is, that the foreign DNS Server's entries cannot be resolved - I tryed to use nslookup on the Synology and also the LAN clients. Please find attached the settings that I have used.
Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
vrugaitis

vrugaitis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Use DNS of OpenVPN server

Unread post by vrugaitis » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm

I have tested different solutions, but no one worked.
  • Add an additional forward/ reverse zone for the Domain of foreign DNS server's Domain and point to the foreign DNS server at 10.0.0.10
  • Set up resolution and set the forwarders to 10.0.0.10 and 8.8.8.8, just like here https://i1.wp.com/www.laurivan.com/wp-c ... .23.18.png
Still, I cannot lookup the IP adress to foreign DNS server's addresses.

Return to “DNS Server”