Dynamic DNS updates of DHCP client names

Discussion room for DNS server package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
chocko
I'm New!
I'm New!

Dynamic DNS updates of DHCP client names

Postby chocko » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:05 am

Hi,

Trying to get my pfsense firewall to update DHCP client names into DNS. Generally this is pretty straight forward but I cannot figure out what is going on here.

I have generated a key and have exported it and added it to the DHCPD config.

All I see is an error in the DNS server log: key keyname update 'zone/IN' denied.

I cant for the life of me figure out why this rather simple configuration wouldnt work.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

edit: I just noticed that although the DS time is accurate the DNS logs are 1 hour behind, how is this possible and could it cause the deny?
chocko
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Dynamic DNS updates of DHCP client names

Postby chocko » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Not sure if this is a bug or something but it appears that the required config isn't added to named.conf.

On my NAS everything is installed in volume1 so this may differ for you but I found the zone config here:

/volume1/@appstore/DNSServer/named/etc/zone/data/zonename

I had to edit the files in this directory for both my forward and reverse zones to add the following line:

allow-update { key keyname.; };

The keyname is the one created in the GUI which I exported to my DHCP server.

Once I added this updated started working instantly. I would have expected that thisw statement would be added when the key is generated however there isnt any config option in the DNS server GUI related to updates, there is only config related to zone transfers which is a different statement in the config.

Hope this helps anyone thats lazy and wants DNS updated automatically like me :)

Return to “DNS Server”