DS214 noise, compared to DS213j

The general discussion room of 2014 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Griffon_XII
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS214 noise, compared to DS213j

Unread post by Griffon_XII » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to choose a 2-bay Synology NAS, which will serve as central storage, a media/file server (at home or from outside) and backup target. I don't think I will use many of the "advanced" mail/web server features etc, and don't need encryption or iSCSI.

The NAS will stay in my bedroom, and I'm quite sensitive to noise. I see that the DS214 is listed at 19,9 dBA, similar to DS213. The DS213j is listed as 17 dBa, and as far as I know, it can completely turn off the fan while the discs are hibernating. 3 dB difference should be around 2 times the noise.

The prices in Turkey are not so different between the models and I can afford either. I'd just like to ask how noisy you find the DS214 to be. Worse than a 2012 quad Mac mini (which is also in my bedroom and I find acceptable)?

The feature set and performance of the DS213j should be enough for me, but I can afford the DS214 as well, and I'm wondering if the increase in performance and USB 3.0 (and getting the latest model) would be worth the increase in noise. How much noise increase would there be, really?

Thanks in advance!

Shiki
Beginner
Beginner

Re: DS214 noise, compared to DS213j

Unread post by Shiki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:20 pm

It's highly subjective, making it difficult to comment about comparisons, but I'll leave this here - http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... 13cfefeda6

Edit - I actually went with the DS213j due to similar concerns, but I'm exchanging it for a DS214. I keep my disk station, modem, and router on a small table to the right of our TV (~7 feet from where we sit), and I can't hear the fan even when it's on high mode during video playback. That said, I can't really comment on how the noise would be if it were sitting closer to me, say on my computer desk.

Griffon_XII
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS214 noise, compared to DS213j

Unread post by Griffon_XII » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:52 am

Hello Shiki,

Thank you for the quick reply. I used to frequent SPCR when I was "silencing" my PC, and it's really the "main hub" for silent/quiet enthusiasts, but I hadn't thought NASes would also be discussed there!

I'm going to chime in to that topic and ask how the DS214 sounds while on the desk. And it's a very recent topic too! Many thanks, it's really helpful!

Are you exchanging for a DS214 because you weren't satisfied with the DS213j's performance? I'm planning to keep the NAS on my computer desk (so that I can check the lights), where my MyBook Live currently is, so I'd be much closer to the noise source. About 70 cm / 2 feet. That said, I could move it to beside/behind the desk, which would help. It's also about 3 meters from my bed.

As I said, I'd really like the quieter unit, but I'm not sure if sacrificing performance is worth it, and when I can also afford the DS214. Thanks again!

Return to “2014 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”