DS414 - Lost Configuration issue

The general discussion room of 2014 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
JPFL
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS414 - Lost Configuration issue

Unread post by JPFL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 am

Serial 142... JPFL Support Ticket ID #1143211
bought in August 2017, beeped randomly (always one time) since fresh install with latest software. and worked fine except for the beeping.
now after 2 weeks configuration was lost. needed a re-install. admin password was still working.
data was not lost.
next morning configuration was again lost, just this time the admin password didn't work anymore. web interface and synology admin has me logged out.
I have not tried pressing reset for 4s yet.
I have sent a RMA request form to Synology USA. Did this work out for you guys? what is the experience in getting an answer and sending unit back and getting a replacement (or fixed unit back)?

Cheers

jonuy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jonuy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 am

I had never heard of this issue but experienced a textbook case of this in December (resetting password) and January (losing configuration). While such a major hardware issue raises doubts about the unit in particular and Synology in general, and it seems that Synology really should have let us know before this happened, I couldn't be more satisfied on how Synology dealt with this and the outcome. I reached out to support and was told immediately that it was a hardware issue and that they would replace my unit even though at almost 3 years old, it is well out of warranty. They sent me detailed instructions on what to do. I sent back my old unit (I paid shipping and packing), and they quickly sent a replacement. The tracking system worked flawlessly. I popped in my old drives, restored the configuration, and was up and running almost immediately with no lost data.

For the record, my original unit serial number was a 14A, and it was replaced by a 146.

defaultlister
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by defaultlister » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Ive had the same issue on a ds 415 play, it worked well for almost a year and suddenly its starts beeping for 10 times and after that it reboots and asks for system reinstall and this continiues for days. In my case i was already in after warranty period, so i could nt get it replased, so ive tryed all clues from the forum , ive started from changing the power supply and fans, that did not helped me, ive looked at the motherboard and noticed a smoll battery, i think this is like bios power on a normal PC, sometimes due to a bad battery a normal PC works haoticly and may not even starts, so i decided to replase it..... and voule!!!! magic, ive reinstalled the os, all my information remained on hdds and since that time has passed 2 weeks time and there was no reboot or annoing message about reinstall the system. maybe this clue will help someone. :D
PS sorry for my english :shock: :lol: :lol:

Ds414victim
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Ds414victim » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 am

I suffered from the described problem a few weeks ago.
Synology did explicitely refuse to replace my device as the warranty timed out a year ago!
This is really annoying as they are totally aware of the fact that a known and confirmed hardware defect of the reset button causes the "config lost"-error!

How can they argue with warranty when they know that the problem cause was definitely there at delivery time?
Moreover, it was the result of poor quality control on their side.
Why does Synology make customers pay for this???
I cannot express how disappointed I am, having bought a 400 EUR device which keeps resetting and loosing it's configuration! :twisted:

The workaround which was provided to me by the German Synology support was the following:

Code: Select all

Enter the following command in the Task Planner in order to delay the restart: 
"shutdown -r 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999"
I haven't tried this yet.
However, if this doesn't do the trick, I can kick my DS414 out of the window and watch it hitting the ground... :evil:

[EDIT:]
OK. The command was wrong with 2 mistakes! (well done, Synology support)
1. shutdown command needs a "+" for controlling the defered reboot. Simply adding a number won't work.
2. shutdown doesn't accept "quadrizillion"-number values. However: "99999999" minutes make more than 190 years which should do...

I have another option before I'll be shreddering my DS414 to pieces:
As I don't have any warranty anymore, I might open the DS414 and simply remove that f***ing reset button by soldering it out.
It has no benefit to me anyway and Synology won't give a sh**.

Best,
DS414victim

pyramidprincipal
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pyramidprincipal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 am

Ds414victim wrote:I suffered from the described problem a few weeks ago.
Synology did explicitely refuse to replace my device as the warranty timed out a year ago!
This is really annoying as they are totally aware of the fact that a known and confirmed hardware defect of the reset button causes the "config lost"-error!

How can they argue with warranty when they know that the problem cause was definitely there at delivery time?
Moreover, it was the result of poor quality control on their side.
Why does Synology make customers pay for this???
I cannot express how disappointed I am, having bought a 400 EUR device which keeps resetting and loosing it's configuration! :twisted:
I'm in the exact same boat. This issue appeared on my DS414 recently and given I bought this 3 years ago, Synology's only response was that they would fix it, but all shipping, parts, etc. would need to be covered by me. While I'm happy to pay for shipping, I feel like I'm being penalised for a defect that existed at the point of manufacture. The only reason why I didn't get this issue earlier is because I only turn on my Synology DS414 periodically (e.g. every 1-2 months) to backup my Synology RS212. Funnily enough, the Synology RS212 has been on non-stop for 6+ years without any issues, albeit it's getting a bit old.

I was about to purchase the Synology RS818RP+ to replace the aging RS212, not to mention the NVR1218, but obviously won't now. I'm somewhat glad to experience Synology's pathetic customer support -- makes the decision to go elsewhere a lot easier

TheNix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TheNix » Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 am

Hi.

I had the same problem with a DS216j. I managed to resolve by giving the reset button (and - inevitably - the surrounding connection points) a spray with a proprietary electrical contact cleaner. That has taken the configuration lost interval from about 5 minutes up to 12 hours (and counting).

Be sure to disconnect mains and any other cables, and to shield disks from the cleaner (I should probably have removed them altogether - but after three hours of wrangling, I was feeling reckless).

A bit off-topic, I know; but after the hint from the contributors to this thread about the reset button, I wanted to pay a little back.

Return to “2014 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”