Encrypt data upload

Discussion room for Glacier Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
wanderley
Experienced
Experienced

Encrypt data upload

Unread post by wanderley » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Does anyone know if the backup to Glacier is encrypted?

Or is any documentation available?
-- Wanderley

boltedon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Encrypt data upload

Unread post by boltedon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to warm up the above question. Since 2011, a lot of time has passed and I would like to know if support for pre-upload encryption is present in or planned for the Glacier package.

I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks.

Meruem
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Meruem » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Yes, same. anyone know?

stixx68
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by stixx68 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 am

Hi All,

Yes, the data is encrypted on upload, IF you check the option to enable transfer encryption.

Regards,

Stixx68

boltedon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by boltedon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 pm

The data is encrypted in transit, but the question is whether you can enable pre-upload encryption (with a password).

tarek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tarek » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello all,

Apologies for necroposting. It does not clearly state in the documentation whether information from an encrypted folder is encrypted once uploaded to amazon.

Any hints?

tarek : )

calego
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by calego » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 am

tarek wrote:Hello all,

Apologies for necroposting. It does not clearly state in the documentation whether information from an encrypted folder is encrypted once uploaded to amazon.

Any hints?

tarek : )
I don't think so. If you are mounting the encrypted folder and then having Glacier upload the files/folders within that mounted drive, then NO it is definitely NOT encrypted. It would be like TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt on Windows. Once the vault/drive is unlocked and open, then the contents are unencrypted, so if you copy the contents, it is the same as any other folder or storage location. The only way is to find the raw block of data when it is not mounted and upload that instead. I don't know where that block of data would be, but that's what you'd have to do. And I don't know if or how you could restore that encrypted vault/folder should you need to restore it.

Return to “Glacier Backup”