cannot delete fauly glacier vault created by NAS

Discussion room for Glacier Backup package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
wizzackr
I'm New!
I'm New!

cannot delete fauly glacier vault created by NAS

Unread post by wizzackr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 am

Using the Synology backup package for Amazon Glacier we created a backup of some critical folders on one of our DS1812s. All in all it was roughly 220GB we tried to backup.

After the upload failed numerous times at different percentages, we decided to split the backup task into multiple smaller jobs. While this seems to have worked, the first archive created on Amazon Glacier - the one which faulted - now cannot be deleted, giving us the error that one archive is still in the vault.

This is a serious Problem in so far, as Amazon cannot delete the file/vault on their part either due to obvious security restricions (we filed a support ticket on Amazon to clarify) - and neither can we, as it was created by the Synology NAS (the exact error message by the AWS backend is: “Your vault could not be deleted. Glacier vaults can only be deleted when the latest vault inventory contained no archives and no archives were added since. If you recently deleted archives from you vault, you can try deleting your vault again later.” – while nothing was added or deleted during the last two months, the backup tasks on the NAS have been deleted for the same time).

We subsequently get billed by Amazon every month for a vault we cannot delete. Amazon told us to contact Synology, as they are not able to delete said vault. Any idea how we could solve this?

rassel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: cannot delete fauly glacier vault created by NAS

Unread post by rassel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Dear wizzackr

I definetly hope you will get an answer to your question as I have exactly the same problem and same error message.

I have also opened a ticket yesterday (having yesterday started to pay for assistance 48USD/month).

So lets see and await who will get first answer and cross fingers

Rgds

dshad
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by dshad » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Same problem here.

Anything new?

Marc

rassel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rassel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:08 pm

After having paid for assistance without having got any solution back I solved the problem with CloudBerry Explorer for Amazon S3.

Again paid for PRO version but finally managed to cancel.

wizzackr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by wizzackr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi guys,

here is what Synology came up with in case someone else runs into this:
"Hi, the Amazon has limitation that it will require to wait 24 hours after all files under the vault being deleted, else it will think there are still file inside the vault.
If you previously delete the DS backup task, if you select to delete the files? If so then please wait 24 hours and try.

If it is not fully deleted, then you could use PC software "fast Glacier" to sync server file list to PC and use PC to delete the files, then wait for 24 hours to delete the vault."
The first part can oviously be forgotten as I did wait two months trying to delete said files, but the latter part is what I am currently trying. I will post here if it worked, currently downloading the glacier inventory file.

Best,
J

romedian
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by romedian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Got the same problem! Please help!

janhall_us
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by janhall_us » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Has anyone ever resolved this? Synology (after more than 3 months of back-and-forth in 3 tickets) tells me to contact Amazon and Amazon tells me to contact Synology. In the meantime I am paying for nearly 500GB of storage in three vaults that Synology has had me create and I can't delete. I've tried FastGlacier but I get an error that it can't fetch the partially deleted vault and fetches for the other two vaults time out before they complete.

andychown
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by andychown » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Just had this myself and found a solution, these are the high level steps:

1. Download CloudBerry Explorer for Amazon S3 (which is free, Fast Glacier crashed a lot for me)
2. Give CloudBerry Explorer an access key, this can be generated on the AWS console.
3. IN Cloudberry request an inventory for the vaults (this will take hours)
4. Cloudberry should auto download the inventory when its complete, now you can select all the archives and delete them.
5. request another inventory, and wait hours again! (your PC doesn't need to be on once the request is sent from what I've seen)
Once the new inventory downloads you can delete the vaults.

Hope that helps.

koalb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by koalb » Sat May 16, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi. I'm having the exact same issue, except I'm running Mac OSX instead of Windows. Given that I can't run Cloudberry, is there another way to delete an AWS Vault?

Thanks.

skidave
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by skidave » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks @andychown. I used your recommended procedure using Cloud berry Explorer and it worked just as described.

The Synology / AWS Glacier team need to address this in a future release.

lmederos
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by lmederos » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:11 am

This has been a very frustrating experience with Synology !! I have the exact same problem; waiting on Glacier to process inventory now.

I can't believe they have not addressed this after months of complaints.

ClimberSam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ClimberSam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 am

Ran into the same problem, but found a relatively straightforward solution. I edited the failed backup task within Glacier Backup so it contained only a single, small folder. Saved the task and set it to run, it completed quickly. I was then able to delete the task and backup files on Glacier.

Return to “Glacier Backup”