That _mapping folder

Discussion room for Glacier Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
etienne
I'm New!
I'm New!

That _mapping folder

Unread post by etienne » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:15 am

Hi everyone.

I did my very first backup to Amazon Glacier from my Synology NAS, using the "Amazon Glacier" native app.
It went well, scheduled task completed successully. I went to check out the newly created vault directly on console.aws.amazon.com/glacier: I was surprised to see that 2 vaults had been created:
- hostname_long-id_1
- hostname_long-id_1_mapping

Is this normal? would this happen with any other backup software (or AWS CLI)? If in many years from now I need to do a data retrieval from Glacier without having/using my Synology NAS, will I be able to retrieve it, or will I need the Synology Glacier native app to do so?

If I plan regular backup to Glacier, it's because I want to retrieve my data, should anything bad happen to my NAS. Which means I should not be 100% dependant on it to retrieve backed-up data right?

Thanks for your help,
Etienne.

xexebanana
Experienced
Experienced

Re: That _mapping folder

Unread post by xexebanana » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Hello. I´m also using Glacier, and those name mappings also happen to me. I supposed because of that you can only make a restore using the synology native app, but it maybe done on a diferent synology device. You recover the tasks that you have done before, but you can not use them on future backups. You will have to do a new backup task, and a new first full backup.
DS211j & DS215j

etienne
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: That _mapping folder

Unread post by etienne » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for your answer.

That's what I was suspecting. Too bad that there is no way to send to Glacier files as they are. I thought AWS CLI could do address that problem though, so I tried to set up aws on my DS216j via CLI, but without success: I had a package problem when installing AWS CLI. But I'll keep that for another post.

Cheers.

Return to “Glacier Backup”