Glacier Selective Backup

Discussion room for Glacier Backup package
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
stogie1020
Trainee
Trainee

Glacier Selective Backup

Unread post by stogie1020 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Background:
I am new to this whole ecosystem and am trying to create a backup solution to protect me from hardware failure and crypto variant viruses.

Using a DS1815+, I am planning to backup to on-site storage for fast recovery.

For offsite and cryptovirus protection, I am planning to use Glacier as I have many TB of data to store (in excess of 20TB). I will use a Glacier Snowball device for the initial seed.

Issue:
As I begin using the Glacier service though, I want to backup from the 1815 specific folders only. My volume will be set up like:

-Client1
--Folder A
--Folder B
--Folder C

-Client2
--Folder A
--Folder B
--Folder C

-Client3
--Folder A
--Folder B
--Folder C

(I use a standardized folder structure, so ALL instances of "Folder A" are named exactly the same)

What I want to do is ONLY backup Folder A in each directory structure such that I end up with backups that contain:

-Client1
--Folder A

-Client2
--Folder A

-Client3
--Folder A

As I add a new client folder, I want the --Folder A that is created/populated to be automatically backed up to Glacier and updated if I add more to it.

What is the best way to accomplish this, particularly if there are many Client folders? I would rather have this automated than have to manually backup each "Folder A" upon creation/population.

-Thanks

stogie1020
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Glacier Selective Backup

Unread post by stogie1020 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 am

Well, after doing some digging, it appears that the best solution may be to simply set up a new Glacier Task for each new Folder A as it is created.

This is less than ideal, but it seems to be the only way to isolate the content of a specific Folder A for restoration purposes without having to restore EVERY Folder A just to get the data in any one of them. Every Folder A combined might total 20-30TB, whereas one might be 200GB-2TB.

Return to “Glacier Backup”