First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Discussion room for Glacier Backup package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:46 am

Hi all

Running a DS414

Recently set up Amazon Glacier using a couple of online guides. Seemed to be successful. Note that I'm UK based but went for the Oregon server

However, when I tried to do my first backup - about 1.5TB - it failed. Looking at the logs, it seems to upload a small amount of data, then falls over. Deleted the backup task and set up a new, smaller one. Tried again and it failed again.

There seems to be some kind of hash mismatch issue but the error message is impossible for me to decypher. If anyone could make some suggestions, that would be appreciated. I've copy/pasted one of the log entries below (and anonymised the hash a bit in case it was a security risk!)

Level Date & Time Event
Information 2015/07/15 00:37:01 [Request Records] The region is Oregon. Sent 1 list vault request(s), 14 upload request(s), 0 retrival request(s), 0 delete request(s), uploaded 186.87 MB file(s), retrieved 0.00 bytes file(s).
Error 2015/07/15 00:37:01 Task [AWS Backup 2] backup failed.
Error 2015/07/15 00:37:00 Error=[The value passed in as x-amz-content-sha256 does not match the computed payload hash. Computed digest: 72c436cc71206584fc0ca4c6***dbc6936f7d821210e53c99f2fd4971e9 expected hash: 048a499627f1bf3772f1e09****19c542f3434f].
Error 2015/07/15 00:36:59 Upload file [/volume1/photo/photos/_Family Photo Archive/FAMILY PHOTOS COLLECTED/Annas Wedding-FromCD-Sep2008/MOV04911.MPG] failed.
Information 2015/07/14 23:08:04 Start to backup task [AWS Backup 2].

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:47 pm

hey - anyone able to assist?

thanks

BigTim
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by BigTim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:01 am

I'm having a similar issue using the Glacier backup app on my 211j:

Error 2015/07/28 00:04:11 Upload file [/volume1/photo/Archive/2013 09 - Beth phone download/20130527_160558.mp4] failed.
Error 2015/07/28 00:04:12 Error=[Invalid x-amz-sha256-tree-hash: f2d17edc78e3e748d691ec9912a350e49ff441856b7df1c39e596c152a3e8510].

I'm runnig an adhoc job to do the backup and adding more directories to it each time (as it skips what has already been done) but I've started getting failures now.

Both times the file seems to be a movie file, in my case mp4, and in your case I see an mpg. Is that a coincidence?

I've posted on AWS forum but nothing yet.

The first file that caused the problem I managed to get to work after changing the multi part value from 512 to 32. The second failure I've not retried yet...

Tim

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:21 am

BigTim wrote:I'm having a similar issue using the Glacier backup app on my 211j:

Error 2015/07/28 00:04:11 Upload file [/volume1/photo/Archive/2013 09 - Beth phone download/20130527_160558.mp4] failed.
Error 2015/07/28 00:04:12 Error=[Invalid x-amz-sha256-tree-hash: f2d17edc78e3e748d691ec9912a350e49ff441856b7df1c39e596c152a3e8510].

I'm runnig an adhoc job to do the backup and adding more directories to it each time (as it skips what has already been done) but I've started getting failures now.

Both times the file seems to be a movie file, in my case mp4, and in your case I see an mpg. Is that a coincidence?

I've posted on AWS forum but nothing yet.

The first file that caused the problem I managed to get to work after changing the multi part value from 512 to 32. The second failure I've not retried yet...

Tim
hi tim

it would be strange if the upload job was falling over because it didnt like the file format - doesnt seem right at all

I also posted on AWS but its more of a ghost town than this place!

I additionally posted on this guy's blog but nothing yet - http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/10/27/synol ... ment-25011

Gonna keep plugging away!

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 pm

The author of that Wahl Network guide to Synology / Glacier replied to me:

http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/10/27/synol ... ment-25011

But simply suggested calling support but also checking this piece on hash matching.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazonglacie ... e-mpu.html

BigTim
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by BigTim » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi gypsymoth....

Did you get anywhere with this?

I still can't get that one file to upload.

One thing I did notice was that that file was relatively large (2.5gb) compared to the rest of what was being uploaded (5-10mb), but nothing that should break any limits.

Thanks, Tim

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Nah. No joy. Dead end

Think I'm gonna have to cancel and revisit other options. Shame

planet-ia
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by planet-ia » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 am

I'm experiencing the same issue, I have a 1.5TB disc I'm trying to backup. I've gone through the set up guide and everything looks fine, not that there's much to set up.

Error=[The value passed in as x-amz-content-sha256 does not match the computed payload hash. Computed digest: 0c9c931f942e80a7aa7f5a2c40e8361084bfd330cd7c8642927be4cc6c718647 expected hash: 9d4f1a350c05558539a24fd30deb9c831d7bda5936dfa3eb8ef9fdc6b289e3e9]

Does this mean the 256 hash is wrong, how do I correct it? have I missed something in the Synology set up? have I missed something in the Glacier set up? has anyone had success setting this up with Synology+Glacier app+Amazon service?

Does anyone have any Idea what's going on with this, or at the very least point me in the right direction?

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:35 am

planet-ia wrote:I'm experiencing the same issue, I have a 1.5TB disc I'm trying to backup. I've gone through the set up guide and everything looks fine, not that there's much to set up.

Error=[The value passed in as x-amz-content-sha256 does not match the computed payload hash. Computed digest: 0c9c931f942e80a7aa7f5a2c40e8361084bfd330cd7c8642927be4cc6c718647 expected hash: 9d4f1a350c05558539a24fd30deb9c831d7bda5936dfa3eb8ef9fdc6b289e3e9]

Does this mean the 256 hash is wrong, how do I correct it? have I missed something in the Synology set up? have I missed something in the Glacier set up? has anyone had success setting this up with Synology+Glacier app+Amazon service?

Does anyone have any Idea what's going on with this, or at the very least point me in the right direction?
the support for this process is absolute crap isn't it?

planet-ia
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by planet-ia » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am

I've just submitted a ticket to the "Support" if you can call it that. If I don't get anywhere I'll send the Synology NAS back and get a QNAP.

I'll post back IF I get a reply

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am

planet-ia wrote:I've just submitted a ticket to the "Support" if you can call it that. If I don't get anywhere I'll send the Synology NAS back and get a QNAP.

I'll post back IF I get a reply
cheers

all the best

planet-ia
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by planet-ia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Hey everyone, here's the fix for this problem from Synology support, basically the NAS wasn't configured correctly.

Things to check:
1: Ensure that your Regional Options are configured correctly. To check this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Regional Options and then check that your timezone is set correctly and you are pulling the correct time down from an NTP time server.

2: Ensure that you have disabled IPv6 on your network interface if your country does not support IPv6 routing (the UK for example does not support IPv6 routing). To do this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > [Select NIC] > Edit > IPv6 and then set the IPv6 setting to 'Off'.

3: Ensure that you are using Google's DNS servers to ensure that there is no issue with any DNS name resolution as a result of using your ISP's DNS servers. To change this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Enable ‘Manually configure DNS server’ and then set the primary and secondary DNS options to the following:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

4: Ensure that your Default Gateway setting has been properly configured to your router's IP address. This can be changed by browsing to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > [Select NIC] > Edit and then modify the Gateway option.

Once I corrected all these issues it started backing up :D

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:27 pm

planet-ia wrote:Hey everyone, here's the fix for this problem from Synology support, basically the NAS wasn't configured correctly.

Things to check:
1: Ensure that your Regional Options are configured correctly. To check this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Regional Options and then check that your timezone is set correctly and you are pulling the correct time down from an NTP time server.

2: Ensure that you have disabled IPv6 on your network interface if your country does not support IPv6 routing (the UK for example does not support IPv6 routing). To do this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > [Select NIC] > Edit > IPv6 and then set the IPv6 setting to 'Off'.

3: Ensure that you are using Google's DNS servers to ensure that there is no issue with any DNS name resolution as a result of using your ISP's DNS servers. To change this, please browse to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Enable ‘Manually configure DNS server’ and then set the primary and secondary DNS options to the following:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

4: Ensure that your Default Gateway setting has been properly configured to your router's IP address. This can be changed by browsing to Main Menu > Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > [Select NIC] > Edit and then modify the Gateway option.

Once I corrected all these issues it started backing up :D
Nice one. Followed steps 1-3, but bit unsure about step 4 as they dont say what it should be modified to (8.8.8.8? Dont know)

Will see how it goes without modifying that yet (its currently 192.168.1.1)

Thanks

planet-ia
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by planet-ia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:26 pm

gypsymoth wrote:
Nice one. Followed steps 1-3, but bit unsure about step 4 as they dont say what it should be modified to (8.8.8.8? Dont know)

Will see how it goes without modifying that yet (its currently 192.168.1.1)

Thanks
Its the details in your router or firewall buddy, for example mine is
IP address: 192.168.1.90
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 8.8.8.8

gypsymoth
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: First Amazon Glacier backup fails again and again...

Unread post by gypsymoth » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:27 pm

planet-ia wrote:
gypsymoth wrote:
Nice one. Followed steps 1-3, but bit unsure about step 4 as they dont say what it should be modified to (8.8.8.8? Dont know)

Will see how it goes without modifying that yet (its currently 192.168.1.1)

Thanks
Its the details in your router or firewall buddy, for example mine is
IP address: 192.168.1.90
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 8.8.8.8
cheers man and well done on getting a response!

Locked

Return to “Glacier Backup”