DS Cloud is totally useless piece of software

Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
ZMałachowski
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS Cloud is totally useless piece of software

Postby ZMałachowski » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 pm

I have installed DS Cloud on several Android 5.x devices. To my surprise, I can only sync files which are subfolders of Android/data/com.synology.dscloud/files on the SD card. This folder contains files created by DS Cloud. So this completely pointless - what kind of precious files would DS Cloud create for me on my SD card?

When I synchronized my favourite pictures and music to SD card, I found out that they are not visible to other Android applications (audio players, image viewers). So what is the purpose of having DS Cloud?

It is a completely useless piece of software - sync software that can syncs only files created by itself (at least as far as SD card is concerned). Reading posts on this forum, I can see that the issue is older than 1 year. Shame on you, Synology.
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: DS Cloud is totally useless piece of software

Postby PaulS » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 am

I've found DS Cloud/Cloudstation works quite well with relatively small, low-churn data sets. Based on your description above, it seems unlikely you have it set up/configured properly.
ZMałachowski
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ZMałachowski » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Hm, I do not see anything that I could have configured incorrectly. The only setting that matters here is the folder path. On SD card working with Android 5.x devices this is anything below the "root" of Android/data/com.synology.dscloud/files. No other option.

Judging from other discussion threads in this forum, this is well known problem for over a year now.

Or?
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:55 pm

You are probably experiencing an Android-specific issue. I use sshhelper for Android data sync. It is straightforward, fast, reliable and the only data transfer tool I have found to be basically problem-free on Android. But you have to be willing to do it manually and with a command line. The world of GUI data sync apps is big hot steaming mess AFAIK.
Joerg633
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Joerg633 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:52 pm

ZMałachowski wrote:On SD card working with Android 5.x devices this is anything below the "root" of Android/data/com.synology.dscloud/files. No other option.

Judging from other discussion threads in this forum, this is well known problem for over a year now.

German Synology support confirm this behaviour. Reasoned with the changes by google for the external sd card under >=4.4! So we couldn't expect any other solution!
DS412+: DSM 6.1.1-15101 U2 | 4 GB | 3x 1 TB | APC CS350 | LMS/Resilio/DokuWiki
DS415+: DSM 6.0.2-8451 U2 | 8 GB | 3x 6 TB | APC CS350 | VideoStation/Backup/VirtualBox
vanraiks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanraiks » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:59 pm

So, as far as I understand - it is not worth to wait that someone will fix either Android or Cloud Station in a way, that I can sync my SD-card pictures and documents to my own DiskStation, am I right?

Did someone found any workaround in this? 3rd party application, other sync method, anything? Except syncing to Googles, Dropboxes, etc? Or direct hack of Android?
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:54 pm

vanraiks wrote:So, as far as I understand - it is not worth to wait that someone will fix either Android or Cloud Station in a way, that I can sync my SD-card pictures and documents to my own DiskStation, am I right?

Did someone found any workaround in this? 3rd party application, other sync method, anything? Except syncing to Googles, Dropboxes, etc? Or direct hack of Android?

Have you tried DS Photo?
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
slavau
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby slavau » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Yes, I agree that in this form it's completely useless piece of crap.
And it's not true that it it stopped working after Android 4.4 upgrade.
I used older versions of Cloud client on Android 5.x from Jan. 2015 until Jan. 2016.
Well, the Android was rooted, but I was able to sync the whole SD card to my DS station.
The problem is the DS Cloud client forcing the directory check.

Probably the only "official" workaround is to format SD card as internal storage.
I know all disadvantages of the solution but...

May be it would be possible to play around with something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD but I didn't try.
condor
Rookie
Rookie

Postby condor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:22 am

slavau wrote:Yes, I agree that in this form it's completely useless piece of crap.
And it's not true that it it stopped working after Android 4.4 upgrade.
I used older versions of Cloud client on Android 5.x from Jan. 2015 until Jan. 2016.
Well, the Android was rooted, but I was able to sync the whole SD card to my DS station.
The problem is the DS Cloud client forcing the directory check.

Probably the only "official" workaround is to format SD card as internal storage.
I know all disadvantages of the solution but...

May be it would be possible to play around with something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD but I didn't try.

With Android 4.4 (KitKat) Google changed the default permissions for the root of the SDcard to read-only. Applications now would only have read-write access to a system-created SDcard folder for each individual app.

However, Google also created an API so applications could request RW permission to any folder on the SDcard. Apparently, Synology has not yet gotten around to building this functionality into DScloud.

If your Android is rooted, you could install NextApp SDFix from the Play Store to change the default SDcard permissions to RW. Or you could edit the permissions file manually if you know how. Either way would allow DScloud (and all other apps) full access to the SDcard.

So, root your Android and install SDFix, or wait for Synology to add the SDcard permissions functionality to DScloud.
DS1511+ / 3GB RAM / DSM 5.2-5967-2 / 5 x WD Red 3TB (SHR1)
DX510-1 / 5 x WD Red 3TB (SHR1)
DX510-2 / 5 x WD Red 3TB (SHR1)

USB-Disk1 Silicon Image 5744 2TB (RAID0)
USB-Disk2 Silicon Image 5744 2TB (RAID0)
USB-Disk3 JMicron JMB393 10TB (RAID5) via JMS539 USB-SATA Bridge

APC SU1000RM via pl2303 USB-Serial Cbl
Asterisk, Audio Stn, Cloud Stn, DHCP Svr, Directory Svr, DNS Svr, Download Stn, Mail Svr, Mail Stn, Media Svr, Perl, phpMyAdmin, Photo Stn, Surveillance Stn, Syslog Svr, Video Stn
vanraiks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanraiks » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:22 pm

syno.dustin wrote:Have you tried DS Photo?

Now - yes. Of course, as a product it is interesting. For my purpose - not the best. First of all, it has to be synced manually. At second - it adds another application layer most of which is not really necessary for me. With the same luck I could use FTP option from Android.

DS Cloud would be ideal - background sync, phone and PC. Only - if that would work. Now it does not.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm

vanraiks wrote:
syno.dustin wrote:Have you tried DS Photo?

Now - yes. Of course, as a product it is interesting. For my purpose - not the best. First of all, it has to be synced manually. At second - it adds another application layer most of which is not really necessary for me. With the same luck I could use FTP option from Android.

DS Cloud would be ideal - background sync, phone and PC. Only - if that would work. Now it does not.

DS Photo can be set to automatic: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... to/Android
Also, you say another application layer, but in this case you wouldn't need DS Cloud at all.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
vanraiks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanraiks » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks, this helps a bit.

I still need CloudStation for PC. All the family backs up their work from laptops to CloudStation. If I could use CS also on the phone, that would greatly simplify all the things, because all the phone data for each person would be synced with his/her PC via DiscStation. Very simple and straightforward.

PhotoStation could be a workaround, but it is a bit messy - I can not understand why files for each user (by default) are not kept in his/her own home folder; why by default I (as regular non-admin user) can create folder but can not manage access/sharing rights, etc., etc. If I would have some 10-20 active PhotoStation users, I would get totally lost managing album access rights for each and other: which album must be shared with whom and who should not see which file / folder.

BTW, I do not know how, but if I post a picture to Facebook via PhotoStation sharing link, the portrait picture changes to landscape. In DS it is normal (vertical), in Facebook preview also, but if you open it - horizontal.
Link is not fast:
http://ej.uz/j7gw
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:38 pm

vanraiks wrote:Thanks, this helps a bit.

I still need CloudStation for PC. All the family backs up their work from laptops to CloudStation. If I could use CS also on the phone, that would greatly simplify all the things, because all the phone data for each person would be synced with his/her PC via DiscStation. Very simple and straightforward.

PhotoStation could be a workaround, but it is a bit messy - I can not understand why files for each user (by default) are not kept in his/her own home folder; why by default I (as regular non-admin user) can create folder but can not manage access/sharing rights, etc., etc. If I would have some 10-20 active PhotoStation users, I would get totally lost managing album access rights for each and other: which album must be shared with whom and who should not see which file / folder.

BTW, I do not know how, but if I post a picture to Facebook via PhotoStation sharing link, the portrait picture changes to landscape. In DS it is normal (vertical), in Facebook preview also, but if you open it - horizontal.
Link is not fast:
http://ej.uz/j7gw

You have to enable "Personal Photo Station" for it work for homes.
Also, you don't actually have to actively use photo station for what I suggested, it would just be a way to get the photos from phone to NAS.
AndyPhillips
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby AndyPhillips » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:14 am

Works fine if you add the syno sd folder as an indexable location. I used 'mediaReScan' to add the folder and now all my synced music appears in both the android music app and Poweramp (much better than any other music app).
I only use it for music though but I can't see why this wouldn't work for other media types.
vanraiks
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby vanraiks » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:50 am

Think got it working. Thanks!

Return to “DS cloud”