80 GB on my Cloud Station. Select only certain files to sync in DS Cloud?

Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
scottkeen
Beginner
Beginner

80 GB on my Cloud Station. Select only certain files to sync in DS Cloud?

Postby scottkeen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:17 pm

I have over 80 GB in my personal Cloud Station and it syncs all those files fine with my laptop which has 500GB of space.

My Android cell phone and Android tablet however are only 16 GB total. My cell phone and table each have only about 3 GB of free space. I want DS Cloud to selectively sync only specific files and specific folders between my Android devices and my Cloud Station, not all 60 GB. I can do this with Dropbox, but I'm trying to get away from Dropbox.

How can I be selective of specific files and folders (not just file types) to sync in DS Cloud for Android?

If this cannot be done, then it's a severe limitation of DS Cloud. It would mean that your Cloud Station capacity is defined by the smallest amount of available space of all your synchronized devices -- if my laptop only had 5GB of space and my Android cell phone had 12 GB of free space and my Android tablet had 8 GB of free space, then the maximum my Cloud Station could sync would be the lowest number -- 5GB, and it would use up the entire space. This would not be a good design. A much better design is to allow selective synch'ing -- not by file type (documents, pictures, videos) -- but by selective folders and filenames.
Twisted World
Versed
Versed

Re: 80 GB on my Cloud Station. Select only certain files to sync in DS Cloud?

Postby Twisted World » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:38 pm

You can select which subfolders you want to sync by simply not selecting the root folder but by tapping on it to open it up and then select subfolders inside that.
I'm not sure if you can change subfolders to be synced or not afterwards (if you already selected a root folder) but surely you can make a more detailed selection on what to sync using DS Cloud on Android.
I have a subfolder "scans" inside my "documents" share and I am only syncing those scans to my Padfone, not the entire documents share.
If you want more subfolders inside the same share to sync, just tap the "+" in the upper right corner and keep adding as much as you like.
Home units: DS1815+ | EDS14 | DS211+
Work units: DS916+ | DS216+II | DS216play | DS415play | DS212+
scottkeen
Beginner
Beginner

Re: 80 GB on my Cloud Station. Select only certain files to sync in DS Cloud?

Postby scottkeen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:23 pm

I understand what you're saying, and it's a really, really lousy and unusable design by Synology.

If I have a folder I want to sync with DS Cloud called \Documents\Clients\Acme\ and another folder that I *don't* want to sync with DS Cloud called \Documents\Clients\Fubar\, sure I can setup DS Cloud to only sync the \Documents\Clients\Acme\ folder. But what happens when I add a new client that I do want to sync called \Documents\Clients\Snafu\ ? I can't just add that folder to my existing sync.

Then what happens if my \Documents\Clients\Acme\ folder grows to more than my cell phone can handle? Right now my cell phone has 3 GB of free space. What happens when the Acme folder goes to 4 GB? Plus maybe I don't want to sync all the Acme files in the Acme folder, but just a couple of them. DS Cloud does not allow for selective file synch'ing.

So, I could setup another separate folder that is strictly for syncing with my mobile devices, like \Documents\Mobile\ and then I have to move any files I want to sync with DS Cloud into the Mobile folder. So this means that anytime I do work for client Acme or client Snafu, I have to move the documents into the \Documents\Mobile\Acme\ folder. And any scans I want to sync with DS Cloud, I have to move from the \Documents\Scans\ folder into the \Documents\Mobile\Scans\ folder. This is a terrible solution as now I have to find documents I want to work with in multiple locations. If I'm working with the Acme client on my laptop, I have to look for documents in the \Documents\Clients\Acme\ folder and also the \Documents\Mobile\Acme\ folder. If I have to search for a scanned document, I have to search both the \Documents\Scans\ folder and the \Documents\Mobile\Scans\ folder.

This is a terrible design and severe limitation of DS Cloud. By comparison, the Dropbox app for Android allows for selective synch'ing at the folder level and the file level, and it can be changed on a whim and doesn't restrict me to some unusable design.

Return to “DS cloud”