DS Cloud using external SD in Marshmallow

Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
krischik
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DS Cloud using external SD in Marshmallow

Unread post by krischik » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 am

Asking for permissions takes about 30 lines of code and it would make the app that much more useful. :evil:

R1200
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by R1200 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 pm

The tech support indicated that there are no plans to update the apps for the current storage framework. DS photo can backup photo and video from SD card. For other tasks I ended up installing Resilio sync on both phone and NAS. Looks good so far.

irtermite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by irtermite » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 pm

R1200 wrote:The tech support indicated that there are no plans to update the apps for the current storage framework. DS photo can backup photo and video from SD card. For other tasks I ended up installing Resilio sync on both phone and NAS. Looks good so far.
Came here for this conversation as well. This whole SD Card issue is frustrating.
That said... R1200... I know it is SUPPOSED to allow us to backup from DS Photo, but I am not seeing any of my local android photos in the app at all. Nor do I see anywhere to select what paths to add as local photos. The site instructions are lacking in that territory as well. You sure you aren't just seeing the photos that are on your DSM?

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... to/Android

Yemble
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Yemble » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

I have a simple requirement to keep my Android 7 Music folder synced from my NAS Music share (NAS --> Phone only). Should be obvious functionality for Cloud Station / DS Cloud, yet, because I choose to host my Music folder at the root of my 200Mb extSD, which is the only location where it will physically fit, DS Cloud cannot do this! How CR@P is that ???

Can anyone suggest a solution (or Android app) to achieve this? I have full root access to the extSD.

dewdrop7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by dewdrop7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 am

Come on guys! In 2018, how difficult is it to enable the saving and syncing from an SD card??? Give me the source code I send you back the build in half day... Seriously...
Just say you don't care about customer after sales satisfaction. It's only marketing.. 2 years this topic and still nothing.. So disappointing...

choosing
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by choosing » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Hey folks, check this document https://source.android.com/devices/storage/

According to Google Security Policy , after 4.4.x , "group and modes of files on external storage devices are now synthesized based on directory structure."

So In my opinion , this issue will not be fixed , unless Google change the Security Policy

(or root?)

to someone who already root, maybe this document will solve the issue : https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... =125863950

keystoneclimber
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by keystoneclimber » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm

dewdrop7 wrote:Come on guys! In 2018, how difficult is it to enable the saving and syncing from an SD card??? Give me the source code I send you back the build in half day... Seriously...
Just say you don't care about customer after sales satisfaction. It's only marketing.. 2 years this topic and still nothing.. So disappointing...
2 years??? This problem has been going on since at least the middle of 2013. 4 1/2 years and Synology STILL HASN'T FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! Yeah, we get, Android changed the way file permissions work for 4.4 and after. So what? That kind of thing always happens in software development. Step up to the plate an modify the structure of YOUR SOFTWARE to account for the change rather than just sitting there playing the blame game while your users get increasingly angry. You've even had users who are Android developers offer to do it for you, for free if you release the source code. GYST.

vletroye
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by vletroye » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 am

This extremely old issue being not yet solved by Synology, I am simply using the Backup feature of their "DS Photo" app.
Go to Photo Backup on the left panel to enable this feature. After Photo Backup is enabled, the photos and videos in DCIM folder or a customized folder on your mobile device will be automatically backed up to a destination album of your choice on Synology NAS, according to the backup rule you have selected.
The fact that "DS photo" may backup the DCIM folder of the SD card is even more frustrating. Why the hell can't we just use one single app to backup everything :(

V.
DS1815+ - DSM 6.0

Return to “DS cloud”