DSM 6.1.1-15101 & 6.1.2-15132 & DSM 6.1.3-15152: Obtain GPL source code

This forum is for devlopers to discuss questions about apps/plug-ins/extension modules/API specifically developed for using with Synology DiskStations.
stupidrequireduserna
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9: Obtain GPL source code

Postby stupidrequireduserna » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 pm

sawwee wrote:You guys absolutely misunderstand the situation. Synology has not provided the source code for ANY of the mentioned updates, they provided the last source code maybe 1 or 1.5 year ago. Guys are asking for the source code again and again not because they want to know about all the small updates but because they still didn't get ANY of the source code from Synology.
And yes, they need it. There are several 3rd party packages which are not compatible with the new DSM versions and developers can't update their packages without having a look on the GPL source code.
By the way, not providing the GPL source code Synology is constantly in breach of GPL license and apparently doesn't care it at all, which is absolutely unacceptable. It is stealing. I don't see any reason to defend Synology in this dispute.


Synology did release the source code for DSM branch 8451 (DSM version 6) on 2016-11-25. Nevertheless, each time Synology distribute a new binary, the source also needs to be released.

The practical reason is that point releases contains security fixes and bug fixes, if I build my own version of DSM, I want the bug fixes and need the security fixes.

Truth is, it should be fairly easy to release the source code, the vast majority of companies use automated build scripts to manage the building and packaging of new versions of software. Thus, they simply need to modify the script to also bundle the source.
styrofoamshotgun
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9: Obtain GPL source code

Postby styrofoamshotgun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:32 pm

sawwee wrote:You guys absolutely misunderstand the situation. Synology has not provided the source code for ANY of the mentioned updates, they provided the last source code maybe 1 or 1.5 year ago. Guys are asking for the source code again and again not because they want to know about all the small updates but because they still didn't get ANY of the source code from Synology.


If you're going to exaggerate don't massively over exaggerate.
They released the 6.0 source code last November (read: 2 months ago). Everything since then will have mostly just been minor bug fixes seeing as there's only actually been 3 actual updates (i.e not the 3 dozen or so critical updates they've done).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/
sawwee
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 2:11 am

Re: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9: Obtain GPL source code

Postby sawwee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 am

stupidrequireduserna wrote:Synology did release the source code for DSM branch 8451 (DSM version 6) on 2016-11-25.


styrofoamshotgun wrote:If you're going to exaggerate don't massively over exaggerate.
They released the 6.0 source code last November (read: 2 months ago). Everything since then will have mostly just been minor bug fixes seeing as there's only actually been 3 actual updates (i.e not the 3 dozen or so critical updates they've done).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/


Well, the kernel is missing from this source and it hasn't been published for 1 or 1.5 year, there is no exaggerate.
EricHarry
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9: Obtain GPL source code

Postby EricHarry » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 pm

dudewhat047 wrote:Are you guys just pedantic a$$biters, or got nothing better to do? Update 8 and Update 9 are minor updates and will not affect workflow if you developing any packages (which I highly doubt). Please stop being annoying whiney B**** and complain only if there is a reason to complain.



If there is no reason to complain, then please tell me how to compile a kernel module for my DS116 with 8451 today.
I pretty much need the source for that.
deusx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9: Obtain GPL source code

Postby deusx » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:25 am

In fact, it might appear as if there is a sole voice, asking for what is rightful and appropriate, but in reality I believe there are plenty who fully support this voice.
I'm one of them for instance. And I have yet to see kernel sources for that long too. My two units are vulnerable and I cannot patch a CVE which is not yet patched in official kernel and I miss also a few kernel modules despite trying Synology's official documentation and instructions. Can anyone spot a linux kernel in the GPL? Because I ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I also believe I fail to understand this: "Update 8 and Update 9 are minor updates". Or in other words, it might mean small changes, negligible changes, lets just forget about them. Does it go with this kind of reasoning: "I'm a little thief, therefore I'm no thief, so just forget about me and let me continue my own thing" ?

But one thing I have most trouble with, and it is this. What makes some people think they have the right, to object and/or dictate, a person that is patiently requesting what is rightful and appropriate. Thankfully the world is full of possibilities, and the options are there. No one really forced the ones annoyed, to be here, or even to pay attention. And the 'mute thread' functions can become our friends if this is that big of a deal. Perhaps it not that easy to accept unfairness or shallow thinking, I dunno.
sawwee
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 2:11 am

Re: DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9: Obtain GPL source code

Postby sawwee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:30 am

deusx wrote:In fact, it might appear as if there is a sole voice, asking for what is rightful and appropriate, but in reality I believe there are plenty who fully support this voice.
I'm one of them for instance. And I have yet to see kernel sources for that long too. My two units are vulnerable and I cannot patch a CVE which is not yet patched in official kernel and I miss also a few kernel modules despite trying Synology's official documentation and instructions. Can anyone spot a linux kernel in the GPL? Because I ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I also believe I fail to understand this: "Update 8 and Update 9 are minor updates". Or in other words, it might mean small changes, negligible changes, lets just forget about them. Does it go with this kind of reasoning: "I'm a little thief, therefore I'm no thief, so just forget about me and let me continue my own thing" ?

But one thing I have most trouble with, and it is this. What makes some people think they have the right, to object and/or dictate, a person that is patiently requesting what is rightful and appropriate. Thankfully the world is full of possibilities, and the options are there. No one really forced the ones annoyed, to be here, or even to pay attention. And the 'mute thread' functions can become our friends if this is that big of a deal. Perhaps it not that easy to accept unfairness or shallow thinking, I dunno.


Very important post, fully agree...
stupidrequireduserna
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DSM 6.1-15047: Obtain GPL source code

Postby stupidrequireduserna » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Please provide the GPL source code for DSM 6.1-15047.
stupidrequireduserna
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1: Obtain GPL source code

Postby stupidrequireduserna » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Please provide the GPL source code for DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1.
deusx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1: Obtain GPL source code

Postby deusx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 am

Finally! It seems kernel and GPL sources as well as the toolchains for 15047 dropped on sourceforge about 10 days ago.
EricHarry
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1: Obtain GPL source code

Postby EricHarry » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Thank you!
stupidrequireduserna
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DSM 6.1-15047 Update 1: Obtain GPL source code

Postby stupidrequireduserna » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:39 pm

deusx wrote:Finally! It seems kernel and GPL sources as well as the toolchains for 15047 dropped on sourceforge about 10 days ago.

Excellent, thanks for notifying.

Also branch 8451 GPL source was updated and now seems to include the Linux kernel.
User avatar
dMajo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: DSM 6.1.1-15101: Obtain GPL source code

Postby dMajo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Where can I find the DSM 6.1.1-15101 GPL sources with linux kernel? They aren't on the sourceforge repo.
  • APC SMT2200I+AP9631
  • Vigor2830Vn+: LoadBal 2xADSL(20M/1M.mcr512K,8IP)+1x4G/LTE
  • D-Link DGS1210-28P (CoreSW, PoE+)
    • 4x IntelliJack NJ2000G, 4x IntelliJack NJ220
    • 2x Netgear GS108T
    • 2x VigorAP900
  • DS1815+: DSM61(15047u2),16GB,2x845DCPro,4xWD60EFRX,2xWD60PURX;LAN:1+2,3,4
  • DS1513+: DSM43(3827u8),4GB,5xWD30EFRX;LAN:1+2+3,4
  • RS2414RP+: DSM52(5644u8),4GB,8xWD30EFRX;LAN:1+2+3,4
  • Media eq.:
    • DENON AVR4311
    • TV: UE55ES8000Q,UE32ES6800Q,UE22F5410AY
    • Gigaset: 2xDX800A,1xSL910H,2xDA210
    • Galaxy Note3,A5; Nokia N8
stupidrequireduserna
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 & 6.1.2-15132: Obtain GPL source code

Postby stupidrequireduserna » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks @dMajo, it seems the source code for DSM 6.1.2-15132 is also missing. Updated the thread to reflect that.
User avatar
dMajo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:26 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 & 6.1.2-15132: Obtain GPL source code

Postby dMajo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Any news?
I need the sources!!!
6.1.1 and 6.1.2
  • APC SMT2200I+AP9631
  • Vigor2830Vn+: LoadBal 2xADSL(20M/1M.mcr512K,8IP)+1x4G/LTE
  • D-Link DGS1210-28P (CoreSW, PoE+)
    • 4x IntelliJack NJ2000G, 4x IntelliJack NJ220
    • 2x Netgear GS108T
    • 2x VigorAP900
  • DS1815+: DSM61(15047u2),16GB,2x845DCPro,4xWD60EFRX,2xWD60PURX;LAN:1+2,3,4
  • DS1513+: DSM43(3827u8),4GB,5xWD30EFRX;LAN:1+2+3,4
  • RS2414RP+: DSM52(5644u8),4GB,8xWD30EFRX;LAN:1+2+3,4
  • Media eq.:
    • DENON AVR4311
    • TV: UE55ES8000Q,UE32ES6800Q,UE22F5410AY
    • Gigaset: 2xDX800A,1xSL910H,2xDA210
    • Galaxy Note3,A5; Nokia N8
stupidrequireduserna
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4 & 6.1.2-15132: Obtain GPL source code

Postby stupidrequireduserna » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm

dMajo wrote:Any news?
I need the sources!!!
6.1.1 and 6.1.2

You may want to open a support ticket.

Also, DSM 6.1.3-15152 has been released in binary form, it seems the source is missing.

Return to “Developer Discussion Room”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest