Folder had already been selected as video folder message

Discussion room for Video Station package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
jcassidento
I'm New!
I'm New!

Folder had already been selected as video folder message

Unread post by jcassidento » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I am hoping this is an easy one. Some time ago, likely with DSM 5.x on my ds212j, I installed and ran the Video Station available at that time. This created the /video folder. I gave users RW access to the video folder and subsequently mounted it as a drive to a windows PC. I then downloaded many GB of home video into the video folder, all with their own folders (for example, a "2008-11 to 2009-02" folder containing .avi and .mpg files). Several new DSM versions and updated Video Station versions later, these are still visible using DS Video on an Android phone, and playable using a separate player app.

Now, I realize that I want to conform to the sub-directory structure available in Video Station, and have separate directories for Home Video, TV Shows, Movies, etc. However, when running Video Station as admin, I try to create sub-directories and change the folder for Home Movies, etc. (like changing the folder for Home Video to /video/Home Video), but I get the following message : "This folder or its parent folder have already been selected as video folder. Please specify a different one."

I hope I am not stuck. The original creation of the video folder was done a long time ago by an old version of Video Station, and I still have many folders of movies in /video. I could easily move these into the video/Home Video folder, but I don't think this changes anything from Video Station's point of view. I am very concerned that uninstalling / re-installing Video Station in order to re-establish the /video folder hierarchy may blow away the many movies I have in /video, and some of the sources of these movies are no longer available to me.

I am not an IT guy, but I seem to muddle through, so I would really appreciate some pretty clear instructions on how to resolve this problem. Many thanks.

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Re: Folder had already been selected as video folder message

Unread post by sincarne » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

if you have /video as main folder you have to remove then add sub-folder for movie, tv show, without adding entire /video folder

jcassidento
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jcassidento » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm

OK, I am not sure I understand how to do what you suggest.

My guess would be :
- stop Video Station in Package Manager,
- move all existing video folders from /video to some other folder (like home),
- delete /video,
- re-start Video Station (which will re-create /video),
- configure the sub-directories for Home Video, Movies, etc. (now it should allow me to do this ?)
- move all my home videos to /video/Home Video

Is this all correct ?

jcassidento
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jcassidento » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 pm

I think sincarne has bailed on me, but I am hoping someone else can answer this.

The more I think about this, I don't think I have to actually move all the files and directories. I hope I can just re-name the /video directory to something else (like /video_backup). So, the process would look like this :

- stop Video Station in Package Manager,
- re-name existing /video folder to some other name (like /video_backup),
- re-start Video Station (which will re-create /video),
- configure the sub-directories for Home Video, Movies, etc. (now it should allow me to do this ?)
- move all my home videos from /video_backup to /video/Home Video

Stopping Video Center should hopefully not delete /video and all of my videos. I hope stopping Video Center should allow me to re-name /video and not have Video Center know I did that. I hope then when Video Center is re-started that it sees no /video and creates a new one as if from scratch, subsequently allowing me to configure the various sub-directories for Movies, Home Movies, TV shows, etc.

Will this actually work ?

- john

Return to “Video Station”