The Apple TV 4K and the DS Video

Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
yerbabie
Experienced
Experienced

The Apple TV 4K and the DS Video

Unread post by yerbabie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 am

How long will it take Synology to provide support for the new 4K ATV announced? Surly the work would have started a while back with SDK's etc.

What devices will this be limited to? My assumption is it's going to be Group 1 / Type 1 devices?
STORAGE DS1817+ (5 x 4TB WD Red RAID 6)
BACKUP DS1010+ (5 x 3TB WD Red RAID 5)
RT2600AC Routing

sincarne
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: The Apple TV 4K and the DS Video

Unread post by sincarne » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Why you think it not work out of box? It still tvOS

sbarnea
Novice
Novice

Unread post by sbarnea » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Getting the confirmatiin that this works is the only thing that prevents me from ordering the new Apple TV.

The DS Video android app running on Sony Bravia is almost useless bescause the TV itself is not able to sustain the high-bandwith.
sigs are evil!

THX723
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by THX723 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:08 am

Also wondering about this.

Current DS Video app does work on Apple TV 4K. However it does not currently support native 4K (and H.265) decoding by Apple TV 4K .

Len_E
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Len_E » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 am

I think the curious thing is that I was able to stream h.265 to the previous AppleTV, when the DS Video app first came out. I tried it last week, and had no luck.

Not sure if this was a change in one of the DS Video updates, or if it is a product differentiation issue now.

I just got the new 4K AppleTV, so I’ll know pretty soon.

THX723
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by THX723 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 am

I was able to play H.265 (1080p) with my previous 4th-gen Apple TV without any issue. The only downside was the intense 90%+ CPU utilization w. even my DS916+ II.
Now that the new Apple TV 4K supports both 4K and H.265 natively, the hope is for an updated DS Video that lends Apple TV 4K to do the heavy lifting of H.265 and/or 4K decoding.

Camazotz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Camazotz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:04 am

I have the new Apple TV 4K, a synology DS2415 and can confirm the DS video app works fine. Also runs fine with x265. I have not tried a 4K file yet, but anticipate it will work fine. I’ll test that soon.

killerghostwolf
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by killerghostwolf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 pm

I can confirm the app works fine on the new Apple TV 4K. However, any files encoded in H.265/HEVC do not natively work in the app causing the server to transcode the file. My 1513+ will sit at 100% CPU usage on a 1080p HEVC file for just a couple of seconds of video. For something that this new Apple TV can natively support, shouldn't it just need to be turned on in the app itself?

Here's a breakdown of what my files are encoded as per Video Station's view media info:

Video Codec: hevc
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Rotation: 0°
Frame per second: 23.976
Profile: Main
Level: 120
Audio Codec: ac3
Audio Channel: 5.1(side)
Sample Rate: 48000
Language: eng

Is there something I'm missing?

Ekomax1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Ekomax1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:24 am

Same here. 4K MKV Hevc is transcoding. Big Buck Bunny Sintel Tears of Steel. All transcoding on the ATV4k. Further problem on all movies is that i saw is that if AC3 passthrough in the app is on it beginns to stutter from time to time (Same on iOS app).

Pensive
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Pensive » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Really, really disappointed with Synology at the moment.

I have just got the new Apple TV 4k; DS Video can't play a single 4k movie (I've tried 7 different ones). Interestingly it can however, play demo 4k videos from samsung et al.

Whats the real difference here? I'm guessing, it's actually the audio thats the main issue - like the DTS hack I had to implement because Synology wouldnt fork out for a licence.

If I had to hack the box to play DTS, then DTS-HD and TruedHD audio streams are going to be useless to it.

Whatever the hell it is - I Can tell you this

1) My TV can play and pass-through these video / audio streams respectively.
2) My Apple TV can play and pass-through these video / audio streams respectively (albeit the audio ends up DTS core / PCM 2.0 etc.)
3) DS Video is frankly useless, in it's current state for any 4k content.

Not withstanding that DS Audio is not available for apple tv and also suddenly unable to store and downloaded songs (off topic, but relevant to my rant), I'm getting fed up with this. It feels like Synology are years behind the curve now and i cant ev en run Plex as it's been knobbled so it can't transcode on the fly on a Synology box.

MY SOLUTION

I bought infuse 5 for Apple TV. They paid for licenses for DTS and TrueHD. They implemented the playback codecs for the 4k videos directly on Apple TV.
They decode the audio stream send the audio through in full surround PCM so the full experience is passed through to my Amp.
It plays EVERY SINGLE ONE of the movies that DS video cannot play, which is ALL OF THEM.

So now i can't use DS Video for most of my videos.

Dear Synology,

At least offer us an upgrade license for DTS/DTS-HD / TrueHD support - and for the love of god you need to get on top of this otherwise I'll be dropping all your lockin services like DS Video, DS audio like flies and my nas box will become nothing more than a fileserver and I'll give Qnap a try next time. At least plex will transcode on the fly on it.

I've spent about £25 on infuse v4 and infuse 5 in total because DS video has been increasingly failing to play videos, and fails dismally with 4k sources in almost all cases. Why don't you let me give you that money and make you're damn apps work.

Or should I open up putty again and start hacking in some backwoods TrueHD transcode script like I had to for DTS? I should not have to do that.

Get back on the horse for goodness sake, put some money into your products to keep them on course.

Jon

rbf911
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rbf911 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 am

A response from Synology on this issue of no playback of x265 video needs to be sooner than later! I have convinced 3 other people besides myself to buy their products because of the audio/video apps that had been fairly well integrated and supported current video formats up to this point. I am due for an upgrade and will look elsewhere if they can’t correct this issue. Furthermore, the other people I convinced to buy their products will also be looking elsewhere. Playback previously worked, needs to be fixed now!

spurs4cl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by spurs4cl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 am

Hi guys,

Newbie here, just want to share my experience here and also my problem to see if anyone has any solutions.

Hardware:
DS 214 Play
Old TV: Panasonic 1080p TV
New TV: Panasonic 4K TV (49EX600)

Last month I bought an AppleTV4K, having been using a China-brand stream box with DS video for the past few years, I thought I’d give the ATV4K a try. The initial month I have been pleased with it, DS Video DOES WORK with the ATV4K (except for some file types not supported), majority of the file types played without fuss.

Up until yesterday I had a 7 year old Panasonic 1080 HDTV (not 4K), and I just bought myself a brand new Panasonic 4K TV yesterday, ATV4K works and it automatically asked if I wanted to switch to 4K HDR mode, I did that and all the Apple things worked fine, iTunes movies etc. Then I opened up DS video for a test and then browsed to a movie which I had played and worked using my previous set up with my old TV. The problem begins: the movie file will not play, the screen would just hold and nothing loads and after waiting for 5 mins I decided to try a few different files which had worked before, but the same would happen. I eventually managed to play a file which worked and played the beginning for about 2 mins before freezing up on me. So that was no good.

I adjusted the ATV4K settings to 1080p SDR, actually I tried all the video settings with the DS Video app and the same thing happened. Any idea what I can try to get it working? I’m not putting my old TV back on just to use DS Video with ATV4K!!

Btw my new TV set can reach my DS214 play via my wireless network without problems, the videos streaming is fine, albeit I can’t get any subtitles on it which me and my wife prefers a lot. But I can’t install DS Video on my new TV so I’m stuck.

Any advice guys? Many thanks!!

spurs4cl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by spurs4cl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Guys,

I got DS Video working in ATV4K now, I think my problem was that the WiFi signal wasn’t strong enough after I moved the ATV4K to the shelf below. As soon as I moved the ATV4K on top the top of the TV cabinet, I could play the movie as before. My ATV4K is now set to 4K HDR mode, though I’m only playing an 1080p movie I had, I don’t have any 4K movies on my NAS.

spurs4cl wrote:Hi guys,

Newbie here, just want to share my experience here and also my problem to see if anyone has any solutions.

Hardware:
DS 214 Play
Old TV: Panasonic 1080p TV
New TV: Panasonic 4K TV (49EX600)

Last month I bought an AppleTV4K, having been using a China-brand stream box with DS video for the past few years, I thought I’d give the ATV4K a try. The initial month I have been pleased with it, DS Video DOES WORK with the ATV4K (except for some file types not supported), majority of the file types played without fuss.

Up until yesterday I had a 7 year old Panasonic 1080 HDTV (not 4K), and I just bought myself a brand new Panasonic 4K TV yesterday, ATV4K works and it automatically asked if I wanted to switch to 4K HDR mode, I did that and all the Apple things worked fine, iTunes movies etc. Then I opened up DS video for a test and then browsed to a movie which I had played and worked using my previous set up with my old TV. The problem begins: the movie file will not play, the screen would just hold and nothing loads and after waiting for 5 mins I decided to try a few different files which had worked before, but the same would happen. I eventually managed to play a file which worked and played the beginning for about 2 mins before freezing up on me. So that was no good.

I adjusted the ATV4K settings to 1080p SDR, actually I tried all the video settings with the DS Video app and the same thing happened. Any idea what I can try to get it working? I’m not putting my old TV back on just to use DS Video with ATV4K!!

Btw my new TV set can reach my DS214 play via my wireless network without problems, the videos streaming is fine, albeit I can’t get any subtitles on it which me and my wife prefers a lot. But I can’t install DS Video on my new TV so I’m stuck.

Any advice guys? Many thanks!!

alexmib
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by alexmib » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:58 am

Hi guys,
can anyone confirm you can stream 4k files from NAS to Apple TV 4k?

Thank you.

enr00ted
Novice
Novice

Unread post by enr00ted » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:31 pm

The same problems here on my DS128+ with all of my android smart tvs. I can't even play demo sample files downloaded online. I'm lost, I don't get it.
"There are things beyond our knowledge and imagination" . Synology DS218+ | Synology RT2600ac

Return to “DS video”