Just a few things to mention.

Discussion for the upcoming Firmware for the DS-106, DS-106e, DS-101j, version 4xx Beta
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Just a few things to mention.

Unread post by NetBoot » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:43 pm

DHCP bug. This bug was introduced in 417 and is still there in 424. Where the initial setup of the firmware can't get an ip address by way of DHCP server. Has to be setup manually. Already posted this topic in relation to 417. Also, another thing to mention is that you can't reapply 424 firmware. I've haven't had the time to test it. But, what would happen if I wipe the disk and do a reinstall? Will the firmware refuse to install and make my syno a brick?

IE 6 page refresh causes the web configurator to log out. When logged into the Web Configurator a page refresh causes the login page to appear.

What makes the syno go into hibernation? Is it a program, a script or some other function? When the syno wakes up from hibernation does it do a NTP time sync? I'm assuming it doesn't and I'm also assuming that the system isn't hibernating; it just sends a spin down command to the hard drive.

I would still like to see a system log that the time sync was successful. It also appears that the ntpdate has a problem resolving NTP server host. Would like synology to implement a ntp daemon instead of this ntp client. Would also like to see synology compile the rtc driver for hwclock for debugging purposes and would also be needed anyway for the NTPD. It's time to put this time problem to bed.

I've made an error in the configuration of the apache web server which caused the Web Station and Photo Station to fail to start. There was no log that these services failed to start. More logs would be appreciated please.

I also want to make sure Synology is aware of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Personal note: Any idea when will see the next firmware update?

Net....
Last edited by NetBoot on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Product Model: DS-106
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 - 0640

I have my reasons for my insanity....

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Where the initial setup of the firmware can't get an ip address by way of DHCP server. Has to be setup manually.
This is not true, I had no problem getting an IP address from DHCP after upgrading to 424 (DS-106e and DS-106x).
I've haven't had the time to test it.
So why are you blaming it?

Its no problem to wipe the HD and reinstall it with 424, I did it several times, everything went always fine (but even with wiped HD you cant go back to older FW!)

It's time to put this time problem to bed.
Probably you should just chose another Time Server that works before claiming Synology....

I took "0.ch.pool.ntp.org" and never havd any problems with it
I've made an error in the configuration of the apache web server which caused the Web Station and Photo Station to fail to start. There was no log that these services failed to start.
At this moment Synology WebInterface is not design to configure this services by yourself. You do it at your own risk, so why should they log on something that is not official implemented?
Last edited by HarryPotter on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:03 pm

I was referring to initial install and not an upgrade. Like I said, I haven't had time to do a clean install with the 424 firmware for testing if there's a problem or not. But it is a problem with 417 and I'm conserned that I might make my syno a brick if it can't reinstall the firmware because it's the same version. Also, just because it's working with your DHCP server doesn't mean it's going to work with mine.

Since there's an option to enable web station and photo station I can't see why synology can't set a flag that these services are enabled but not running and submit a log that the services failed to start.

Net....
Last edited by NetBoot on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Its no need to post something if you dont know if there is a problem or not

But I really should have learned it now, just useless to read most of your posts, its getting more and more the impression of spam, sorry
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:50 pm

HarryPotter wrote:Its no need to post something if you dont know if there is a problem or not

But I really should have learned it now, just useless to read most of your posts, its getting more and more the impression of spam, sorry
I'm waiting on the official word from Franklin that there should not be a problem doing a reinstall and that Synology test it to confirm it's not a problem. I'm not going to reinstall with the chance that I'll make my syno a brick because of the same firmware version check. I have my suspicions that the DHCP bug that was introduced in 417 was carried forward to 424. Not all routers are created equal and may be a compatibility issue with my router. I appreciate the information that you supplied but you assume your the authority that if things work for you that it has to work on my end.

I.E. Photo Station problem with IE6

Personal note: I have a general interest, concern or problem so how is this spam...

Net...

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:23 pm

Net-

I've been able to perform a clean install using the Beta 417 and Beta 424 firmware with no issue regarding the install of the software.

Do note that you cannot install older firmware on a machine using newer firmware.

Hope this answers your questions.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:52 pm

Franklin wrote:Net-

I've been able to perform a clean install using the Beta 417 and Beta 424 firmware with no issue regarding the install of the software.

Do note that you cannot install older firmware on a machine using newer firmware.

Hope this answers your questions.
Thanks Franklin. I was just concerned about the same version check. Some time this weekend I'll check and see if that DHCP bug was carried forward from 417 when doing a clean install and initial setup of the syno.

Please note that I never said I wanted to down grade or back-level the firmware.

Net....

tommypeters
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by tommypeters » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:22 pm

I haven't found the info: Why wasn't it possible to make the beta software so that it is possible to downgrade to the latest non-beta?

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Right here

http://www.synology.com/enu/support/bet ... 1.2006.php

The beta version is NOT REVERSIBLE; you will not be able to downgrade your Synology product to the

Net....

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:54 pm

NetBoot wrote: Please note that I never said I wanted to down grade or back-level the firmware.
I know...I just wanted to say that for all other users who are reading this thread.
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Ok, it seems that the DHCP problem was carried forward from 417 to 424. To clarify, I'm referring to the initial setup of the syno box and to also clarify a problem with the DHCP Discovery. This wasn't an issue for me prior to firmware 417.

I haven't had the time to setup a packet sniffer to see what's going on here. Hopefully, either Synology can debug this before the next firmware since the timing (Christmas) will limit the opportunity for me to debug it.

Additional notes: According to my logs on my router. The router forwards the next available ip address but the syno box doesn't accept it. Which would be logical since I already set the ip address manually. I believe this happens only after the DHCP client on the syno box has started. But as far as the bootp and dhcp discovery is concerned it just doesn't happen.

I'm also still having the time sync issue even with the suggested time server by HarryPotter.

Net....

JBracy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JBracy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:03 pm

I am also having time sync issues. I've tried 3 different ntp servers, and while when first setting them up they seem to set the time correctly, the next time I look the time is off by several hours (usually 8 hours ahead I think, but I can't remember exactly) Even though the time zone is set correctly. I've had to revert to setting the time manually.

Jason

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:30 pm

Still having issues with the NTP. Only this time with the fresh install of 2.0.3 - 0424 I'm not getting any failure messages but the time is off by 8+ hours of the current time.

Net....

P.S. I've submitted the NTP and DHCP Discovery problem to Synology

Return to “Beta: Firmware 4xx for DS-106, DS-106e, DS-101j”