DS Video sometimes doesn't show subtitles

Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
brazben
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS Video sometimes doesn't show subtitles

Postby brazben » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi there,

I have a Synology DS216J running on DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5 with MKV files on it that have subtitles contained in the MKV in SRT format.
I'm using the DS Video application made for Samsung TV (Samsung OS Tizen with firmware 1147) and sometimes the video starts and although I have selected a specific language in subtitles it doesn't show any subtitles.

If I leave the DS Video app on the Samsung TV and then log back in, relaunch the same video with the very same selected subtitles, sometimes it works, sometimes it still does not work.
The real thing that seems to always work is to restart the NAS itself, then subtitles show.

Alternatively, sometimes when subtitles load automatically (usually using the iOS or Android DS Video app and a Chromecast) they won't go away when I select no subtitle.
The only trick to make them go away is also to restart the NAS.

So my question is pretty simple : are there known issues with subtitles and MKVs on Synology? Is there a cache problem or something similar that prevents the subtitles from showing unless upon a fresh restart? Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Thanks for your help,
BrazBen

Return to “DS video”