Why does DS Video need to Transcode when DS File Plays Just Fine?

Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
robwired
Beginner
Beginner

Why does DS Video need to Transcode when DS File Plays Just Fine?

Postby robwired » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 am

It appears that DS File plays all of my media just fine including MP4 and MKV files using H264, H265 and audio codecs like AC3, AAC Stereo, AAC Surround 5.1 and 7.1 and even Opus.

So since I can throw everything including the kitchen sink at it then what is the point of Transcoding?

Why not just build DS Video with the same playback software that DS File has and forget about having the Synology Transcode videos?

I must be missing something, right?

And just to put an even sharper point, in addition to DS File playing everything just fine, so does Infuse (a DS Video competitor).

What am I missing?
bubblegum57
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Why does DS Video need to Transcode when DS File Plays Just Fine?

Postby bubblegum57 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

i think transcoding is only needed, if the playback device can't play it directly.

From what I understand, a Samsung tv would not necessarily need transcoded files. But the same file might not playback on a Sharp TV.

That is the way I understand it.

Try playing a file from a usb plugged into the TV to see if transcoding would be needed.
robwired
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Why does DS Video need to Transcode when DS File Plays Just Fine?

Postby robwired » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 am

My issue is that DS file can play an h265 file without transcoding but on the same device DS Video cannot.

Why? Is this just laziness on the part of the software team?

When I play the file with DS video it asks me whether I want to use DS file, Infuse or Vic to play it. My point Is why not just build the same player into DS video as is in DS file?

Return to “DS video”