DS app streaming only works on WiFI -- wheel spins on cellular networks (LTE)

Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
masonworld
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS app streaming only works on WiFI -- wheel spins on cellular networks (LTE)

Unread post by masonworld » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello;

This is a previously discussed issue -- but after searching I have not been able to solve it.

My DS Cam app works great on my iPhone X as long as I am on WiFi -- it works on local WiFi in my home and on WiFi outside of my home as well. It even works when I have VPN enabled on my phone. Bottom line, DS Cam is working.

BUT -- when I am on LTE, I cannot stream video. The wheel spins and nothing else happens. Connecting to WiFi solves the issue. My iPhone is on TMobile. Last I checked, my wife is having the same trouble on her ATT iPhone (but I need to check that again).

I have some old cameras harvested from my ADT system and some newer AmCrest cameras. They all behave the same way.

I see that other people are having this problem, but I have not seen much posted on the solution side.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Mark

Frank_YYZ
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS app streaming only works on WiFI -- wheel spins on cellular networks (LTE)

Unread post by Frank_YYZ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:11 am

Android DS CAM 3.0 has seriously broken Live View !

I have a similar problem, but mine only started when I upgraded my Android devices to Rev 3.x of DS CAM. All my Android devices worked just perfectly before the upgrade.

Before 3.0, (the DS CAM that has a light background rather than the older dark background) I could live stream all 15 of my cameras. Both over my LAN and over the Internet. Using both HTTP: and HTTPS:. My update rate was slower on the Internet, but I could always get hi-res live streams on all my cameras.

Since the upgrade, DS CAM is pure junk. Only some of my cameras will live stream on my LAN. And only on my newer devices (Oneplus 3T phone) The older devices (Nexus-5 and Nexus-7-II) don't work at all, even with a LAN that has > 100 Mbps WiFi connection. On my slower Internet connection (10 Mbps upload, 60 Mbps download) nothing works at all.

There have been no changes to my LAN, or WiFi, or my Internet provider. As soon as I upgraded DS CAM to 3.0 on any device, it stopped working.

I have created a Synology support ticket on this. They have tried to tell me it's bandwidth related. After almost a month, the best they have come out with is that I should reduce the resolution of my cameras to 640 x 480 for remote access!

So ... I have hi-res screens (typically 1920 x 1280) on my Android devices, and fifteen hi-res (1.2 to 5 MPx) cameras. And all this has worked perfectly for years. And I have pretty good bandwidth. Nothing has changed but their new Android App. But now I suddenly have to use 640 x 480 resolution to make any of my cameras work?

It seems to me that Synology has radically changed the way that they perform Live Streaming. And they didn't test it for cases where there is insufficient bandwidth. Well, everyone will have insufficient bandwidth at some point! The old App dropped frames but still worked reliably. The 3.0 app fails in all sorts of in-elegant ways. The eternal spinning circle. The "Can't Play this Video" message. The eternal black screen. (Even as I'm using 1 MB/sec of bandwidth!). A partially visible frame that will either eventually get better or will simply freeze. I'm sure I've had other failure modes while trying to initiate a live stream.

I am wondering how many people are having similar issues since the "upgrade"?

Even dropping back to an older DS cam doesn't solve the situation completely. It's a lot more useable, but installing 3.0 seems to have irrevocably messed up each Android device so that it doesn't Live Stream as well as it did before the upgrade.

BTW, the older rev is available at link: https://archive.synology.com/download/M ... 2.9.0-342/

I wish I could offer some sort of solution. I'm hoping that, if enough people complain, Synology may actually fix the problem and restore the old functionality. (They broke Live View before, around July 2017, but they fixed that screw-up fairly quickly.) Judging by recent reviews in PlayStore, lots of people are finding that DS CAM 3.0 is simply not working.

jdavis74
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS app streaming only works on WiFI -- wheel spins on cellular networks (LTE)

Unread post by jdavis74 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:10 pm

I am having the exact problems with DS Cam being broken as described above, and also only since a recent update a couple of months ago. I was hopeful that the DS Cam new version 3.0.3-403 would fix the remote access problem, but it didn't. I too had it working just fine for remote viewing for many months before the update broke the app.

Everything works great on wifi for me as well. It's when I launch the app away from home (either on another wifi network on using T-mobile cellular data- neither works) that I get the eternal spinning status trying to view the cameras. I use Open VPN version 3.0.05(1816) to connect to my local network.

The DS Cam app shows camera recordings remotely just fine for my 2 cameras. It is most certainly not a bandwidth issue.

I bought my DS216j NAS last year primarily to function as my camera server, and it worked great for the first year. I'd like to significantly expand the number of cameras I have (and purchase more camera licenses from Synology), but with this trouble persisting, I'm leaning towards abandoning the NAS for this purpose and going with a Blue Iris setup.

I'd encourage others having similar trouble to post here and to submit support tickets.

masonworld
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by masonworld » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Interesting -- for me non-home WiFi works just fine. My problem is cellular only.

shieldsfx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by shieldsfx » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Same for me. Wifi works fine, but wheel spins on cellular network. Everything worked fine before the 5.0 upgrade in July. Synology must be aware that this is an issue with their update. Prior to the update, I was able to see local and remote streaming at perfect high quality without any need to lower bandwidth. I setup a ticket, but I fear their going to go down a path of telling me it's a bandwidth quality issue. That's a non starter for me.

tb123
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by tb123 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:12 am

My v3.0 is still working OK on Android, but the iOS update to v5.0.2 has broken recording playback for me (on multiple iDevices) where any motion stutters and jumps.

With the spinning wheel on iOS, Can you actually log into DS Cam? I know some people were having issues with logging into various DS apps because the setting in the phone wasn’t turned on to allow the app to run on mobile networks (but it worked fine on WiFi).
DS916+, 3 x 4TB WD Red, 1 x 4TB WD Purple
UniFi USG, 16 port PoE switch and 4 x AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

studlygoorite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by studlygoorite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:00 am

I have a similar issue, lately since an update on DS Cam or IOS, not sure which one screwed it up but I can no longer watch recordings over cellular but works over wifi. I see my recordings but when I click on one to play it it just has a blurry thumbnail that won't play.

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 am

Wow. I thought it was something I was doing wrong. First I figured it was firewall ingress rules and/or lack of port forwarding, so I made the necessary changes on my firewall router. No help. (This ain't my first "firewall rodeo," either.)

So it looks like b0rk3d apps? My problem is on iOS. Same as others report: Works fine on WiFi, spins endlessly on cellular data.

Guess I put my plans for using SS on hold for a bit. It's worthless to me w/o remote access to the cameras and recordings working.

ETA: I just submitted a support ticket, referencing this thread.

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Got a reply from Synology support. (Kudos for a fairly prompt follow-up, too.)

I'm going to post excerpts of their response and my reply, here, in case anybody else wants to experiment.
Which mobile carrier do you use? We have received reports of some carriers using IPV6 failing to watch live view/recording using DS cam. Our developers are aware of this and are investigating it to find a possible workaround in future releases.

Does DS cam work for you also when on a remote wifi network? ( NOT LTE/3G )

How exactly do you connect? Do you use an IP address, a Quickconnect ID or a Domain name? Do you use HTTPS? Does it work without?
My reply (excerpts):
  • T-Mobile. I just checked: At this moment I have both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses.
  • I'll have to find a nearby WiFi network I can try. I'll report back when I do.
  • I've used both QuickConnect and my public IP address.
  • I've been using all SSL.
  • I just set up non-SSL on the server and a rule to forward 5000 from the Intenet to 9900 on the DS. That works. Video is sometimes jerky, but it does work. I would call this acceptable.
Additional info:

Originally I merely had a port-forwarding rule set up for port 5001. I tried both QuickConnect and IPv4_addr:5001. Same results. Then, for security reasons, I removed the port forwarding and did what's called a "DNAT rule" to instead translate public_IPv4:5001 to DS_IPv4:9901. Same result.
I'm encouraged that a non-SSL connection works "ok." I would never use that (I don't even like testing with it), because I'm not insane ;), but it is encouraging that, at least, works.

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:28 am

Found out I'd had a bit of a brain fart in my earlier testing. But it was something that, at the time I did it, did not occur to me would make any difference. I still do not understand why it does.

What I did was test using the fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) for my public IP address. (I have a business class Internet connection, static IP, rDNS, etc.) Only later in the evening, testing from home, did I find out that had an impact. So here's a summary of today's testing:

WiFi (local McD's): QuickConnect, by public IP address or by FQDN: Worked flawlessly

Cellular (T-Mobile, 4G LTE, full signal): QuickConnect or IP address: Endless buffering, FQDN: Worked, but lots of stop/starts and jerkiness

Same results, all tests, HTTPS or not.

The weird part is using the FQDN should work exactly the same as using the IP address. (The network geeks around will understand why.) The fact that it does not, on cellular connections, is a mystery to me.

If I get really ambitious, I may just snoop the traffic on the router end to see if I can discern any difference between the two.

studlygoorite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by studlygoorite » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Well the new DS Cam IOS update that came out yesterday didn't do anything for me :(

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:39 pm

studlygoorite wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 pm
Well the new DS Cam IOS update that came out yesterday didn't do anything for me :(
Nope. Already reported in a follow-up to the issue I have open with support.

Before anybody asks: No, the DS SS update doesn't change anything, either.

Btw: I hope all of y'all that are experiencing this problem have opened support tickets with Synology.

studlygoorite
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by studlygoorite » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 am

I received this reply....

Hi John,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this DS Cam issue.

Since it works fine on wifi, then this issue is likely an issue with the internet connection and the app not getting enough throughput to playback the streams. We would recommend setting up DDNS and port forwarding your router since it would provide a faster connection to your NAS than using QuickConnect.

And I replied with......

Thanks Zach, I should have mentioned that I have been using DS Cam for years, my ports are forwarded and I was using "QuickConnect" because it was just that.....quicker to connect than using ip. My issues started after your update to the DS Cam App. I will go through your videos again to see if something there may fix this.

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Try referring them to this thread--and maybe the other threads on the same topic. Though I tried that on my support ticket but received no feedback as to whether they actually looked.

They asked for access to my NAS to troubleshoot the issue, which I gave them. Said they could not replicate the problem. Asked me if I was still experiencing it. I responded that I was, that I was far from alone, and referred them to this sub-forum.

That was about eighteen hours ago. Haven't heard anything back, since. (Though I do see there've been two additional logins from them [I assume], since then.)

If they can't replicate the problem there's no way they can fix it, so I guess I'll start looking into alternative solutions. Luckily I've no investment in SS or DS Cam yet.

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Update

They have nothing else for now. The CSR with whom I've mostly been working will apprise the developers of the fact it's still a problem and will forward them a link to this sub-forum.

I'm going to uninstall DS Cam on my devices and uninstall the Surveillance Station on my NAS, since I cannot use it, anyway, and move on to other things.

I wish those of you dependent upon this stuff good luck!

Return to “DS cam”